Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

I've stayed off this thread, as I've been patient, waiting for a moment to be calm enough to start to try and resolve the issues I've been having with my KOYLI.

1. Chains dropping occasionally - having to reglue.  Nearly lost my 'rag' one time when the inevitable happened and one tiny drop of superglue was on my finger as I touched above the cab - most has 'carefully Brasso'd off' but there is a mark if you look.  My fault.
  2. Consistently derailing.  I only use express points and 4th radius set-track curves, but do have 90mph (80% power) zig-zags in a few places.  Nothing else derails.  If KOYLI gets round once, it might a 2nd time, but the 3rd time it'll ALWAYS derail.  Cannot leave for an hour or 2 as I like!!

Well, I've trimmed a little off the coupling guide to round off the point, and then I un-pinned all chains (2 remaining glued to the body, 2 not) and removed the body.

She's been circulating at 70-75% power for the past hour without a single problem.

I think I'll remove the other 2 chains, as these could also be a reason for the derailing - potentially jamming between body and bogie - restricting the articulation on the higher speed zig-zags.

Initially I'll try re-pinning the 2 which are still connected to the body and see if it stays on.

If it starts derailing again with the body on - she's been running without body without issue - then I'll remove the remaining 2 chains.

Actual running and detailing of course are absolutely superb.

Al. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Well, well, knock me down with a feather!!

I had the chassis running in both directions, hauling a 'prototypical 12' coaches - 5 being lit Bachmann Pullmans.

It performed perfectly for perhaps 3 hours' plus running - as had always been anticipated.

I decided to open her up even more - putting a dab of oil on 'the oily bits' including the still cool relatively hard-worked (by me) motor.  It hadn't given any signs of needing it, but I had had it running perhaps a total of 6-7 hours since receipt.

Beautiful build and lovely little screws!!

I also took the opportunity to fit the Accuracrew - think I've got it the right way around, but not changing if I haven't!

I replaced the body, then started to fit the remaining 2 chains ... after perhaps 5 minutes' trying, I thought I'd simply remove and store them together with the 2 I had previously removed ...

Body on, crew installed, dab of oil here and there - running perfectly for the next 3 hours' time - already been going 30 minutes!!

Al.

Edited by atom3624
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium

The most likely cause of the derailments is the Close Coupling Mechanism cam point. As you've done that, that should be what has resolved the issue. I don't think the brake chains are a cause of derailing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, jools1959 said:

Any news on when the DCC sound decoder will be available?  I was told soon but that was a few weeks ago.

Hi @jools1959,

Customs have finally woken up and found them after a stay of almost 8 weeks and are due to land in our warehouse this week. So much red tape nowadays on EU imports has slowed them down sadly.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

18 hours ago, Ian J. said:

The most likely cause of the derailments is the Close Coupling Mechanism cam point. As you've done that, that should be what has resolved the issue. I don't think the brake chains are a cause of derailing.

Hi Ian, whatever I've done does seem to have worked.  It's now run faultlessly for hours since yesterday's 'adjustments'.  Running again now - for perhaps 3 hours again - love to keep excellent runners operational!

I do suspect the chains had caught in the gap between the bogie frames and the body, restricting movement on occasion, as I always started her off with the chains fully freed / loose on the sides (when attached at both ends) to find part of some jammed inside that gap.

I did end up with just one chain totally intact, the others have their 'plugs' (for want of better description) into the body detached / broken from the chain during removal.

I also observed the tiny corner ladders have completely disappeared!!  Time for the hi-power led torch and magnifying glass again!  Curious that all 4 have gone.

Al.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 12/10/2022 at 22:22, E100 said:

I know @McC has agreed with this post and whilst it won't be coming in the second batch surely using the Wipac tooling and the demand for the purple beasty should mean a future run (3+) of this if not a slight alteration if there was one during it's time in purple is called for? I'm happy to be corrected and told more strongly that it definitely won't happen but seems a bit of a waste of wipac tooling and why not give the ppl what they want.

I have a DCC sound version thankfully as I was quick off the mark but asked at model rail Scotland about it within the first half hour and was told that there had been 3 people ask the same question before me so I can't believe the demand isn't there. Accurascale is a business so makes most sense to deliver something they know will almost certainly sell out quickly and I'm sure they'll be strong demand in the retailer channels too.

It can be done in BR Green,  and who knows possibly blue in the future if the locomotive gets painted in it sooner or later. 

D9000 could be done in both Blue and Green for mainline running..... Blue version as it is pretty much now

- with headlight, crest, orange cant rail stripe, but without those grey letters in the domino box (unless you want to include as a transfer, or as a headcode that can be placed in), plus silver cab window surrounds, modern OLHE warnings...... as per this picture below - looks very sweet ....... 

https://presnews.wordpress.com/page/22/

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

There's mention in the Class 37 update that the 'next batch of 55's' will include the updated chains .... oh the chains . ... ...

What's the difference between B1 and B2 Deltic brake chains please?

Al.

more details will be confirmed but the revamped Deltic brake chains will be friction pin fitted and provided in the accessory bag. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 01/10/2022 at 21:31, jools1959 said:

Slight technical question which I hope someone can help me with.  I bought a DC only D9009 as that’s all I could afford at the time and I’ve just fitted the ModelU crew and Accurathrash speaker, now just waiting for the sound decoder to come back into stock (hopefully next week)

For now, I’ve put a Bachmann 21 pin chip in and all is well, except that the headlight’s come on (all good so far) except the tail lights don’t.  So when I change ends, the headlight comes on, again the tail light doesn’t.  

Do I need to go into the CV’s and change it or should I just wait until the sound decoder arrives and swop it over?

That's something I wouldn't worry about even if you do a lot of light engine running. BR era the tail lights are very poor, one 40 watt bulb through a dirty fisheye lense! Just look at period photos they're just not visible in normal daylight(same with headcode/domino dots). The second point is only one tail light was lit, EE locos had two switches, so in theory it's possible to have both on (Brush it's an either LT or RT off one switch)but the rule requirement just needed a single taillight. It's only on the last ten years or so that this has changed and only on new build stuff.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, w124bob said:

That's something I wouldn't worry about even if you do a lot of light engine running. BR era the tail lights are very poor, one 40 watt bulb through a dirty fisheye lense! Just look at period photos they're just not visible in normal daylight(same with headcode/domino dots). The second point is only one tail light was lit, EE locos had two switches, so in theory it's possible to have both on (Brush it's an either LT or RT off one switch)but the rule requirement just needed a single taillight. It's only on the last ten years or so that this has changed and only on new build stuff.

Time flies and all that…

The change to two tail-lights started in the 1980s. IIRC the 59/0 were the last locomotives built (1985) with the ability for a single light. 

By the time the 66s were built (1998) the rules were very much in place as they roughly are are today, with the triangle of leading lights and two tail-lights. 

Roy

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 19/10/2022 at 11:59, Torbay Express said:

It can be done in BR Green,  and who knows possibly blue in the future if the locomotive gets painted in it sooner or later. 

D9000 could be done in both Blue and Green for mainline running..... Blue version as it is pretty much now

Hi Torbay Express, sadly 9016 never wore blue when she had the WIPAC headlights fitted, so purple and TTG are the only options. Also, 9000 is currently in TTG too - LSL repainted her into it prior to the tour she did at the end of September :) 

1227803542_Screenshot_20221027-0621203.png.26ed1c734e1b7eca2f2804594ae82086.png

Cheers,

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I've just received the Accurascale Deltic decoders for my non-sound Deltics and fitted a couple but, apart from the headcode and desk lights, no other lights seem to come on.

The loco's move fine, much better than before I have to say, the starting and slow speed is excellent.

I assumed functions 1, 2, 3, etc would switch on the tail lights, cabs, etc but it doesn't seem to happen.  I had other decoders in the Deltics before tonight which worked ok with the lights so the locos are ok and I tried 2 different Deltic decoders in 2 different Deltics so I think it's most likely something I'm missing, not doing or doing wrong.

I looked at the Accurascale support pages and the lighting function list shows AUX1 and AUX2, etc.   Are these different from the function buttons?

Any help gratefully received so thanks in advance.

• RMweb Gold

The manual is available as a download on Accurascales website. F11 is for the red/tail lights and F12 for the cab lights.which are directional and F25 for the Engine room lights which is an on/off function.

https://www.accurascale.com/pages/support#reamaze#0#/kb/class-55-deltic/download-the-class-55-manual

HTH

Terry

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Angelus said:

The manual is available as a download on Accurascales website. F11 is for the red/tail lights and F12 for the cab lights.which are directional and F25 for the Engine room lights which is an on/off function.

https://www.accurascale.com/pages/support#reamaze#0#/kb/class-55-deltic/download-the-class-55-manual

I assumed that was for the sound decoder

I'll give it a try tomorrow and see if I get anywhere

Thank you very much for the reply, it's much appreciated.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As D9009 has decided to get renumbered to 55009, it it safe to say that there’s absolutely nothing different from the stock model to the prototype 55009?  They’ve not changed anything substantial whilst it was undergoing it’s long term repair?

I’m hoping that it’s going to be out on the mainline soon, so a quick renumber and a long awaited sound chip, it will look and sound like the real thing.

8 hours ago, jools1959 said:

As D9009 has decided to get renumbered to 55009, it it safe to say that there’s absolutely nothing different from the stock model to the prototype 55009?  They’ve not changed anything substantial whilst it was undergoing it’s long term repair?

I’m hoping that it’s going to be out on the mainline soon, so a quick renumber and a long awaited sound chip, it will look and sound like the real thing.

Hi Jools,

My D9009 had a scratch through the numbers on one side so I ended up renumbering that side to 55009 :) 

The only other change I had to make apart from the renumbering was painting the bufferbeam and buffer shanks on one end red. You'll also need a data plate to go under the new TOPS numbers.

Cheers,

• Like 1

So A Sound Decoder arrived today tried with the built in speakers sounds OK but a bit quiet, I do have an accurathrash speaker which I loosely connected does sound louder that's for sure, but I am very reluctant to remove the body because of the chains 1 has already detached and looks fiddly to put back and I don't fancy doing the other 3.  What I am thinking is I have other speaker which will just about slide under the roof in the available space I may try that. Anyway if I buy another Deltic in future it will be a sound version and yes I know they are going to change the chains on any future version.

Edited by 40002

13 hours ago, jools1959 said:

Now fitted with cast rather than fabricated bogies. Whether these are still intended to go under 55015 long term i dont know. But as of now the AS model would need a change in bogie frames to be correct

• Like 1