Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

UFO (Unfinished Objects)

Having been fired up to get some modelling done, and heading in to my workshop I cleared my modelling table a bit and decided before I start any new projects would finish off some UFO (unfinished objects), so decided to crack on and finish a number of Parkside kits I had started quite a while ago, some just needed lettering others, coal adding, three links, buffers weighting, while a few needed the underframes to be built, surprisingly just two or three hours I had completed three with the other three needing just a few hours to bring them  to the finished state.    

It was quite a revelation and a sense of relief that these models instead of sitting in a pending box could be brought in to service.

David

• Like 4

Having been fired up to get some modelling done, and heading in to my workshop I cleared my modelling table a bit and decided before I start any new projects would finish off some UFO (unfinished objects), so decided to crack on and finish a number of Parkside kits I had started quite a while ago, some just needed lettering others, coal adding, three links, buffers weighting, while a few needed the underframes to be built, surprisingly just two or three hours I had completed three with the other three needing just a few hours to bring them  to the finished state.    

It was quite a revelation and a sense of relief that these models instead of sitting in a pending box could be brought in to service.

David

Hi David,

I have far more UFO's than I should reasonably have.

I think it comes from an attitude that says, "I'll just build one of them and then carry on with what I was doing !", which doesn't take into account the fact that the last time I said that to myself I didn't finish the previous project either.

It doesn't help that I prefer building to painting, I have a lot of paint jobs waiting to start.

Gibbo.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've got a few lettering and numbering coaches and wagons jobs piling up; these are at and possibly beyond the limit of what my wobbly sight and hand/eye co-ordination can achieve deze daze and I need to be in the 'head place'.

• RMweb Gold

At present I have a 4 wheel old time Czech TT scale coach that I washed the dust off today, a Czech HO scale powered maintenence vehicle brass kit trying to understand the Czech instructions, a Langley.009 L & B flat car and a more recent Kato HO scale CSX loco that's almost finished. Planning on completing some of these this week.

• RMweb Gold

At present I have a 4 wheel old time Czech TT scale coach that I washed the dust off today, a Czech HO scale powered maintenence vehicle brass kit trying to understand the Czech instructions, a Langley 009 L & B flat car and a more recent Kato HO scale CSX loco that's almost finished. Planning on completing some of these this week.

Edited by roundhouse

I had a bit of a tidy up earlier this year. I counted 52 unfinished wagons on the workbench. I didn't count those already in storage. I can see the cutting mat now though, just about. 

35 currently reside in various stages. Some of those are from the 52. In my defence I did finish one last Wednesday and completed three projects from start to finish last week. It's the brake gear you see. I needs to psych myself up for it

I dread to think what's in the USO (un started object) pile.

Andy

Edited by SM42

• RMweb Gold

I've got a few lettering and numbering coaches and wagons jobs piling up; these are at and possibly beyond the limit of what my wobbly sight and hand/eye co-ordination can achieve deze daze and I need to be in the 'head place'.

And I've done a bit more on these jobs and finished 2 of them this evening; thanks for the kick up the whatsit!

Define, "finished". Meanwhile, my pending, awaiting progress, postponed, paused, research required, and additional materials necessary projects fill an entire room...sigh.

In my defence, in takes nary a heartbeat to purchase something. Building, painting and making fit for purpose however, there's the rub.

Not dissimilar to 'big' railway preservation actually!

C6T.

• Like 1

I started my model of Radstock North A signal box more than 20 years ago, it ground to a halt  due to a number of factors mainly because I i could not work out what was going on under the stairs landing, but also mortgage, children, job etc.  It sat on the top shelf of my desk as an empty shell,  much like this but without any of the brackets under the deck. During these years it was knocked down twice by the cat and glued back together each time

post-28787-0-26801900-1543481376_thumb.jpg

That was until about 2 years ago when on re-reading my C. Handley Radstock book, I realised there was a toilet was under the stairs before the 50s rebuild as well as after. I continued the work (after having stripped out the few windows I had fitted as they had yellowed over the years). it now looks like this:

post-28787-0-24138100-1543481354_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Neil

Edited by neilkirby
  • Like 15

Some of the wagons that are now not UFOs but were this time last week.

I am quite pleased with the colour of the wood, this was achieved by spraying the wagon silver, then when dry painting, Phoenix weathered wood on some planks them again when dry using a glass fibre pen take the paint back.  

post-186-0-51894400-1543528044_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-01871800-1543527952_thumb.jpgpost-186-0-80453900-1543528009_thumb.jpg

Edited by David Bigcheeseplant
  • Like 9

David

I came across your post on NRM showing your weathered PO wagons and was very taken with the finish. Have you posted anything on them here? Tried the search function, but as per usual it was less than helpful...

I came across your post on NRM showing your weathered PO wagons and was very taken with the finish. Have you posted anything on them here? Tried the search function, but as per usual it was less than helpful...

I have posted a few threads on my wagon building although some go back years and maybe on the RMWeb archive. I am quite pleased with the finish on these ones and having experimented on trying various methods of getting that silver unpainted wood colour this way is the way I will do it in the future.

With a day off work today plan to work a few more wagons to the finish line.

• RMweb Gold

Some of the wagons that are now not UFOs but were this time last week.

I am quite pleased with the colour of the wood, this was achieved by spraying the wagon silver, then when dry painting, Phoenix weathered wood on some planks them again when dry using a glass fibre pen take the paint back.  

attachicon.gifIMG_20181129_212602_resized_20181129_093210790.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20181129_212345_resized_20181129_093308226.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20181129_212529_resized_20181129_093238587.jpg

Liking those wagons, Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Wagons, lots of wagons.... Mrs Smith hasn't complained about the backlog sitting patiently, but I never know.... Audit tonight, methinks....

Ian.

Actually, it's not wagons, it's a DJ Austerity which I've had on the bench for a week. "Tonight Folks, we is mostly burning my fingers with the soldering iron"

Arghhh!

Edited by tomparryharry

• RMweb Premium

I am glad it is not just me. A few months ago I posted on my Sarn thread that I had the same issue, but I decided to be firm with myself and not start any other projects until those 41 wagons were finished - some going back decades. They are.But i still have a box with about a dozen unfinished coaches, in varying states of incompleteness.

i have to say that thee satisfaction gained by clearing the backlog was well worth the effort needed not to be distracted by other projects until I had finished.

But know what? there are now five unfinished wagons on my workbench. Do they breed at night?

Jonathan