The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Recently/currently listening to...

Tim H

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Ludovico Einaudi - Nightbook

Only just released as it happens, heard it at some ungodly early hour of the morning on Classic FM a few days ago and was so impressed that I I-Tuned it down to my PC the very same day.

Was working my way through the Manic Street Preachers New Album - Postcards From A Young Man, then some of Mark Ronson & The Business Intl - Somebody to love me ( a brilliant collaboration between Miike Snow's Adam Wyatt & Boy George! - sounds unlikely, but dosent actualy sound that bad at all!) ...And im now working my way through The Killers - Day & Age...So the song im currently listening to is:

The Killers - Loosing Touch

Been playing a few soundtrack cds in the car of late, including an ITC Themes compilation which has Randall & Hopkirk Deceased, The Persuaders, Jason King (don't laugh, some of it is actually rather good!) and my favourite, Strange Report (Anthony Quayle detective series from '68) amongst others.

Nidge ;)

• RMweb Premium

I had that album years ago, must have been about 1970 ish, Dont know what i did with it..

I have it on CD, my vinyl album disappeared years ago!

Poor ol' Bo died recently, so I was told.

OMS - Leaves' Eyes - "Lovelorn".

Been playing a few soundtrack cds in the car of late, including an ITC Themes compilation which has Randall & Hopkirk Deceased, The Persuaders, Jason King (don't laugh, some of it is actually rather good!) and my favourite, Strange Report (Anthony Quayle detective series from '68) amongst others.

Nidge ;)

Been playing a couple myself this week, the theme from Department S is a particular favourite.  I also downloaded a John Barry Orchestra version of the sixties series 'The Human Jungle'.  A series, which as young lad, I always found a bit creepy. I was always reminded of this theme tune by the intro to Led Zepplins 'Dazed and Confused'.

Arthur

Nidge ;)

Well, the theme from The Persuaders was a John Barry effort, no less - enough said.

Sticking with ITC, at home I've got The Wedding Present's Hit Parade compilation on CD, featuring a rather fun cover of the UFO theme.

As regards my own current listening, dusted off the second Young Knives album and gave it a spin last night. Provided you live in a detached house with double glazing and don't own any particularly timid pets, playing I Can Hardly See Them off said album with the volume cranked up is particularly satisfying/recommended. :)

David

• RMweb Gold

Been alternating in the car all weekend between the magnificent "Postcards from a young man" by the Manics, and the new album from a band from Pavia, Italy called Lowlands - "Gypsy Child" is an excellent example of roots "americana" and highly recommended.

• Like 1

Inbetween The Brilliant Manic Street Preachers New Album, Brandon Flowers equaily brilliant solo album & The Ting Tings with Hands, And The Wombats with Tokyo (Vampires & Wolves)...

Im now currently stuck back on the brilliant Bronski Beat styled Groove Armada's Black Light - And as usal, History is stuck on repeat in my i-tunes....

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Or i was untill my I-tunes reached Miike Snow! An album ive had for ages but rareley listend to it B)

Edited by surfsup

Well, the theme from The Persuaders was a John Barry effort, no less - enough said.

Sticking with ITC, at home I've got The Wedding Present's Hit Parade compilation on CD, featuring a rather fun cover of the UFO theme.

As regards my own current listening, dusted off the second Young Knives album and gave it a spin last night. Provided you live in a detached house with double glazing and don't own any particularly timid pets, playing I Can Hardly See Them off said album with the volume cranked up is particularly satisfying/recommended. :)

David

There's a good John Barry compilation lying on the floor of my car at the moment which frequently gets an airing, the themes for The Ipcress File and The Knack are great faves. I read somewhere that the masters of The Persuaders soundtrack either went missing or were damaged, hence the one which appears on various cd's is the only version left, along with one other piece of incidental music from the series.

Was listening to The Sweeney 'Shut It!' cd whilst out in the car this morning, the opening theme on it isn't the actual one used in the series but the rest of the cd is very good, some real period library music gems, which Euston Films used throughout the four Sweeney series. The 'Regan' theme from the pilot episode made in 1974 is very atmospheric, a mate of mine gave me a copy at the weekend and I can't get it out of my head!

Nidge ;)

• RMweb Premium

Been sitting cleaning and restringing one of my guitars while listening to the late Marcel Dadi's excellent double DC Nashville Rendezvous. What a player that man was....

Can be heard here playing solo a tune that he composed:

Guest dilbert

Renaissance : "Scheherazade and other stories".

Stunning music - and this album is 35 years old !...

Extracted from the CD sleeve about how the the songs were composed

Guitarist/composer Mike Dunford, also featured on the "Illusions" LP, took the place of Hendry and he was responsible for writing the majority of the band's music. In fact Dunford would send his sheet music by post to lyricist Betty Thatcher, who lived in Cornwall, and the majority of songs were written in this way".

Classic ...dilbert

I promise to listen to all of the above as soon as I have a few minutes to myself ( bit busy lately ) -been spending a lot of time on the road visiting the dad in hospital in Swansea then driving back to West Wales-Cant beat Hawkwind (space ritual live) for the road home:-Born to go, just as you are putting your foot down to hit the M4 west.....................................(hint:-remember there are several roundabouts between you and home...........................................)

ATB

Nick

Alun Vaughan - The Kindness of Strangers (A solo bass album - yes, it's an entire album of bass solos. He's even playing flamenco on a bass at one point!)

Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here

Mermaid Kiss - Etarlis

Manic Street Preachers - Postcards from a Young Man.

Mostly Autumn - That Night in Leamington (Superb DVD - if you've never seen them live, this shows you what you've been missing - I've written a review on my blog)

More soundtrack stuff in the car over the weekend.... put on a nice Sweeney compilation which a mate gave me last week, it even has the 'Thames TV ident music before the opening theme.... took me right back to 1975 B)

Also had 'Who's Next' on a lot recently, The Who at their best.

Nidge ;)