RMweb

Recently/currently listening to...

Tim H

• 2 weeks later...

Blue train by John Coltrane (on vinyl).

Since I've turned 50 I find myself liking jazz! Must be some kind of early onset dementia. Never liked it the 49 years previously, and the other half, who is still in her 30s cant stand it, saying it sounds like a load of instruments falling downstairs.

Hamish Napier "The Railway"

"I was specially commissioned by the owners of ‘Grantown East: Highland Heritage & Cultural Centre‘ to compose music for their awesome new visitor attraction in my hometown of Grantown-on-Spey. The derelict Grantown East railway station has recently had a serious make-over and has been lovingly restored as a cultural centre."

Listen to some of it on his website http://www.hamishnapier.com/ if you scroll down and look on the right hand side there is a music player thingy

It is rather beautiful and evocative. Strongly recommended particularly if you like Folk Music (but not just for folkies)

Apologies for the not exactly on topic post, but lacking a dedicated audiophiles thread, this seems as good a place as any.

I've recently had a desire to find a way to digitise the audio cassette recordings I made back in the day of hip-hop mixes I put together using vinyl on the Technics 1210s.

This handy thingummajig is available, converts analogue to digital. Standard RCA jacks so will potentially be able to take recordings off a reel to reel tape deck too!

INVAFOCO USB 2.0 Audio Capture Card Audio Grabber Device Cassette to MP3 Converter for Windows/Mac OS/Tape to MP3 CD PC/Analog audio to Digital https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MXCRMW8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_WrntAgbMjqIPC

They also do similar for video, which I'll be interested in to convert the VHS tapes to DVD if the current experiment is successful.

C6T. (edit...include the linky link, idiot.)

Edited by Classsix T

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

my eldest lad has been blasting the following artists via the amazon echo (hes only 14)

johnny cash

willy nelson

tammy wynette

jethro tull

frankie valli

c.w. mcall

he does a mean johnny cash, willy nelson and c.w. mcall on the karaoke too  

I am a big fan of Johnny Cash's old-testament style stuff - The Man Comes Around",  "God's gonna Cut You Down" and so on, all very apocalyptic and cheerful.

He also does a cover of The Mercy Seat which I think is better than the Nick Cave original.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this utter beast of a tune has been mentioned on the thread before, but I'd be very surprised if anyone who hears this on the radio wouldn't be tapping their feet to it, even if in secret.

A rare example of a cover version beating the pants off the original.

There seems to be a lot of music snobbery within the wider 'train world' but if you don't like this (even If you do it on the sly) then surely there is no hope?!

Enjoy

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aURU7wxbD94&start_radio=1&list=RDMMaURU7wxbD94

• 4 weeks later...