The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Recently/currently listening to...

Tim H

• RMweb Gold
The State of Independence - Donna Summer - YouTube clip

funnily enough i got that on CD from a car boot last week, the 1996 release on manifesto records with some cracking remixes on it, had it back in 96 on promo vinyl but only just managed to get it again to MP3 over.

i've only just discovered elbow's "seldom seen kid", again car boot special, absolutly brilliant album

Picked up a couple of very cheap 'best of' CDs from Sainsburys this week, a Nick Drake collection and another from Bert Janch. They seem to be selling all kinds of 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s stuff just lately, possibly due to a change in copyright law (?).

5 of this month (Progtember)'s new releases.

Steve Wilson - Grace for Drowning. After the disappointment of the last Porcupine Tree disk, SW seems to have found his mojo again.

Matt Stevens - Relic. Instrumental acoustic guitar based album that's difficult-to-classify. Post-prog? Whatever you call it, it's good.

Opeth - Heritage. No death-metal growls at all. Great 70s vibe which manages to sound unapologetically nostalgic and absolutely contemporary at the same time.

Anathema - Falling Deeper. New versions of some of their early death-metal tunes reworked into lush orchestral soundscapes.

Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn Of Events. Enforced lineup change gives them the kick up the backside they needed.

New albums by Mastodon and Steve Hackett still in the queue. If you ignored all these and spent the equivalent of a loco on the immersion edition of Dark Side of the Moon, this is for you ;)

Edited by Tim H

Have to admit, over the past few days ive pretty much had a mixture of The Manic Sstreet Preachers {Pretty much because i'll be at their Dec 17th gig at the o2}...Friendly Fires, and...rather supprisingly Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds!

Now, i have to admit i was never a fan of Oasis, and pretty pleased to hear of Noels splitting of Oasis - Which, now going along with his new band Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - sounds pretty deccent!

• 2 weeks later...

Went to see ' Curved Air ' last night at the Hertford Corn Exchange. Haven't seen them since 1974. What a great evening, they were still superb. Sonja Kristena may have put on a few pounds but is still a great act.They did the old stuff ' It happened Today' ' Back Strret Luv' ' Strech' etc and ' Vivaldi' was stunning. Would recommend you go and see them if their playing a venue near you.

Tim,

Don't get too excited about the Hackett. I wasn't very impressed at all.

On the other hand, the Opeth album is stunning and I totally agree about the 1970s sound. Reminded me of Nektar. One for Colin there I think! :wink_mini:

steve

• RMweb Premium

Tim,

Don't get too excited about the Hackett. I wasn't very impressed at all.

On the other hand, the Opeth album is stunning and I totally agree about the 1970s sound. Reminded me of Nektar. One for Colin there I think! :wink_mini:

steve

Cheers Steve mate, I'll try to give it a listen!

OMS - various stuff by Caravan (more '70s prog I'm afraid).

Heather Findlay & Chris Johnson - Live at the Café 68. Acoustic live album featuring songs from the Mostly Autumn, Odin Dragonfly and Halo Blind back catalogue.

Uriah Heep - Live in Armenia. Live album recorded on their "Wake the Sleeper" tour. Excellent stuff from a veteran band who have still got it and still rock.

Lou Reed and Metallica - Lulu. Utterly awful. Sounds like a ranting drunk at the bus stop backed by a broken cement mixer. And that's the good bits.

Also saw the superb Chantel McGregor live at the 100 Club in London last night. Incredible guitar player, especially when you realise she's still only in her early 20s.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Modelling 1:144 aeroplanes while listening to a great bunch of new albums from the likes of Florence & the Machine, Amanda Mair, Nicola Roberts and Alice Gold, lovely slices of modern synthpop.

Hate to admit it but the new Cher Lloyd album is devastatingly catchy too...like it even more as the supposedly 'cool' brigade wouldn't touch it with a bargepole... :P

Brap brap!! ;)