RMweb

Recently/currently listening to...

Tim H

Camel - Rajaz. Andy Latimer is an incredible guitar player, although this 1999 album let down by weak vocals.

Bob Catley - Legends. Recorded during Magnum's hiatus a few years back. Great vocals but let down by unmemorable songs. Catley isn't as good without Tony Clarkin.

Leaves Eyes - Njord. Female-fronted Scandinavian folk-tinged metal in the vein of Nightwish, although not quite in the same league,

Arena - Pepper's Ghost. At the heavier end of neo-prog, great guitar from John Mitchell (Just how many bands is this guy in?)

Andy Latimer is an incredible guitar player, although this 1999 album let down by weak vocals.

Perhaps his illness` played a part in that?........

I`ll never understand why the astounding talent he possesses, and his body of creative-work; remain neglected and clearly overlooked by "mainstream" broadcast-media outlets. :scratchhead:

http://youtu.be/SSjj-8KTS3o

Edited by Debs.

Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon

In full and on vinyl.

It's only when I hear it algother in one go I remember what a tremendous album it is. Has to be one of the best albums ever made.

steve

• Like 1

Guest Max Stafford

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YTICIppiP4

I love this song. It's one of the most uplifting tunes i know, probably as I associate it ( and the parent album) with the most optimistic period of my life.

In light of some developments off-pitch, it appears to be performing a similar function 20 years after I bought the album first time!

Dave.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good to see a truly broad spread of musical taste in this thread. Being narrow in any sort of taste - as distinct from gauge! - limits your awareness. A mention of Sibelius a few #s back reminds me of a flatmate in the '70s who was a fan - and wore a teeshirt saying Sibelius Dandelion Plastic, as his real name is Simon David Patrick!

Anyway, I don't think I've posted this before, but it is rather good.

I've recently discovered 'Porcupine tree' - a band I'd never even heard of until a couple of weeks ago. They are a kind of neo-prog rock outfit, with influences of Floyd, Tull & Gentle Giant, amongst others (to my ears at least ) They combine superb musicianship in well-crafted songs, often with quirky time signatures, occasional & unexpected bursts of thrash metal, & vocals you can understand the words of... I'm so impressed that I've acquired 'Fear of a blank planet', 'Deadwing' & 'The incident' , any of which I'd recommend...

• Like 2

Ridiculous amounts of Barclay James Harvest. The first four studio albums back-to-back, then "Live Tapes", followed by the first two disks of the "Sea of Tranquillity" compilation.

Now for something heavier - "Let the Sleeper Awake" by Morpheus Rising. First time I've had my name in the "Special thanks" list on the liner notes!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've recently discovered 'Porcupine tree' - a band I'd never even heard of until a couple of weeks ago. They are a kind of neo-prog rock outfit, with influences of Floyd, Tull & Gentle Giant, amongst others (to my ears at least ) They combine superb musicianship in well-crafted songs, often with quirky time signatures, occasional & unexpected bursts of thrash metal, & vocals you can understand the words of... I'm so impressed that I've acquired 'Fear of a blank planet', 'Deadwing' & 'The incident' , any of which I'd recommend...

One of my favourite bands...Started listening about ten years ago. Those albums are very good (especially the Incident) but also listen to "up the Downstair", "in absentia" and "the sky moves sideways". Steven Wilson is one of the most talented musicians of his generation.

Neil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

the one "current" tune that has me hooked at the moment is that one by gotye "somebody that i used to know"

dont know anythng about the band but the guy has a definate peter gabriel sound about him, the video is also very clever too, the guy sings straight into the camera filmed from the waist up (while being painted!) and he really seems to convay the emotion he sings about in the song through his eyes and shoulder movements!

Edited by big jim

• RMweb Premium

Working my way through my "classic rock" playlist on the IPod - right now it's "Running Man" by Al Stewart.

Next up - "Wonderland" (Big Country).

• RMweb Gold

the one "current" tune that has me hooked at the moment is that one by gotye "somebody that i used to know"

dont know anythng about the band but the guy has a definate peter gabriel sound about him, the video is also very clever too, the guy sings straight into the camera filmed from the waist up (while being painted!) and he really seems to convay the emotion he sings about in the song through his eyes and shoulder movements!

I've been enjoying this as well, the first time I heard it I thought Robert Plant and Alison Krauss had made another record together...