Bachmann 2019 Speculation

piranha230

• RMweb Gold

To summarise:

Diesel and/or electric rather more likely than steam, but as most of the major loco classes have been "done" previously only MUs can provide any real surprises.

On recent form, any steam subject will be unlikely to have more than eight wheels (excluding tender).

BR2 2-6-0 and/or 2-6-2T quite possible if they want something they can get out quickly as they already have DCC-friendly chassis under the LMS equivalents.

Anything Southern? A Q 0-6-0 is a "definite maybe" unless Bachmann decide to stick with their established preference for ex-SECR and ex-LBSCR subjects.

John

• RMweb Gold

As I build up my hope, but prepare myself to be disappointed, my list of ‘I can believe they have never released’ as they should be at least part variants on something they either have or at least have CAD models for and all should? Sell well

Class 45 flush front with/without headlights - PLEASE!!

Class 37 scottish steam heat numerous variations.

Class 47 banger blue with headlights, non or steam heat/ETH, also never done a Stratford one.

Class 47 Large Logo Scottish variations.

Class 101 Centre car

Class 150 derived EMUs - 317/8/9/20 plus 3rd Rail ones.

TTA tank variations LPG, small chemical - Caustic soda, molasses, liquid chlorine etc with some vaguely clever tooling endless options.

Final plea - completely new tooling but think it would sell - good spec 07 series tamper.

You must be one of those new aged models I've heard about. Go round drinking herbal tea eating mushroom sandwiches and smoking fungi fags well meditating to the god die-sal. Edited by farren

• Administrators

What time is the announcement? Is it 10am?

Midday today. Andy is doing the main list. I'm sat on a tip-up seat on a Chiltern train on my way to London to see the live announcements and photograph any EPs. If there is anything I'll hope to get those on here tomorrow.

Personally, after the GMRC, I'm hoping for more dinosaurs in the Pocketbond range.

• Like 2

I wondered what it really was, then I realised:

Slowly it wander, — pauses, — creeps, —

Anon it sparkles, — flashes and leaps;

And ever as onward it gleaming goes

A light on the Bong-tree stems it throws.

And those who watch at that midnight hour

From Hall or Terrace, or lofty Tower,

Cry, as the wild light passes along, —

"The D0ng! — the D0ng!

"The wandering D0ng through the forest goes!

"The D0ng! the D0ng!

"The D0ng with a luminous Nose!"

Mr Edward Lear

(I had to substitute a "0" for an "o" as the Net Nanny gets upset by the word "######")

Ah! That’s why Big Ben is silent these days.

Class 150 derived EMUs - 317/8/9/20 plus 3rd Rail ones.

I think it's only a matter of time before Bachmann do these. They are already doing a 319 in N. I would certainly buy a few 318/320 units!

Final plea - completely new tooling but think it would sell - good spec 07 series tamper.

This would be very popular too I think. The newer 08 series would be nice too. Currently there is no accurate 00 gauge rtr tamper available.

I would also like Bachmann to produce some more 'modern' wagons, such as the PFA four axle container wagon.

Even though I think they will do the D class, the thing in the back of my mind is their reluctance to do a rerun of the C class in SECR lined livery because of the difficulties that were encountered last time despite its overwhelming success.

That's very true. However, although Hornby mentioned the challenge they faced with their H Class they got it right as did Hattons with their P class. All three have proved it is possible to reproduce these complex liveries. Bachmann would presumably need to add a fee to recover the R&D time taken to match the quality of finish that their competitors are achieving. 

Both Hornby and Rails are doing SECR Terriers so there is confidence that they can make money on models decorated in this colour scheme.

Edited by Anglian

BR2 2-6-0 and/or 2-6-2T quite possible if they want something they can get out quickly as they already have DCC-friendly chassis under the LMS equivalents.

Problem with that is the cost and time implications of the new body tooling.  In some respects having an available chassis is something of a false dawn, it certainly couldn't guarantee sales revenue in 2019, unless they have been working on the new shell(s) secretly for a couple of years.  Far more pragmatic from a lead-time point of view would be reliveries of the existing models, surely....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Problem with that is the cost and time implications of the new body tooling.  In some respects having an available chassis is something of a false dawn, it certainly couldn't guarantee sales revenue in 2019, unless they have been working on the new shell(s) secretly for a couple of years.  Far more pragmatic from a lead-time point of view would be reliveries of the existing models, surely....

My own thinking is that Bachmann may have been working on one or both for some time.

Even if development was not already under way alongside the Ivatt tank re-chassis project, the reaction to that model (i.e. similar to the groans that greeted the "stop-gap" V2) should have made it clear that something more was needed.

True, reliveries would be quick, but the opportunities lie predominantly in non-steam subjects, and would be likely to re-ignite the "does-it-doesn't-it also need a retool" debate related to a number of the potential subjects.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

That is very, VERY cryptic, Mr York!

Purely that my journey would have cost £150 (but I would have got a proper seat) and I couldn't guarantee getting there to get the info at 10.00 so I'm driving the PC and will inevitably have to sit through moans until I lose the will to live about by about 17.00. My next seat may be in the pub. :)

• Like 3

My predictions:

Southern.

D class 4-4-0 to pull their Birdcage coaches.

Q 0-6-0

U 2-6-0

Adams 4-4-0 no 563

Bulleid Tavern Car

SECR dance hall brake van

Great Western

Manor

London, Midland & Scottish

Analogue LMS crimson Jubilee

London, North Eastern

Coronation coaches for A4 to pull

Somerset and Dorset

Brake Van

Heritage Trains

Mk1 coaches in West Coast Mainline livery

A re-release of the Mk1 Lab test cars "Mentor" or "Mercury" might be good sellers just not sure if the design work belonged to Modelzone or not......…they could fit the pantograph from their superb Class 85 model to Mentor.  They might even make it as the Collectors Club special...….

Most unlikely coaches to be released?   The Manchester Pullman Mk2s.

Even more unlikely is the hybrid half Mk1 and half Mk2 aircon bar car that ran in Scotland...…..

Hands up for a named Motherwell allocated BR Blue split headcode Class 37 with salmon logo such as "Clydebridge" 37 324? 

Following Accurascale's announcement that the new Deltic will feature all new V5 DCC sound technology perhaps we will see a couple of existing Bachmann models released that also have V5 as I doubt that its purely an Accurascale ESU roll out.

Talking of Deltics - could we see a couple of new liveries to squeeze the last dregs out of the Bachmann tooling before the new competition arrives.  What liveries have they never done?

Somebody mentioned a release of the Motorail van but we have already had them, certainly in blue and grey and intercity liveries...….new numbers is possible and if they ran as all over blue that's another possible but don't recall they did.

Edited by ThaneofFife

The same time as when everyone else has asked!

Will to live already subsiding.  :biggrin_mini2:

Just worried everything might be sold out before I get a chance to see it :no: . Well, have you seen how fast concert tickets go as soon as they appear?

• RMweb Gold

Must be time for a few of the generic 'Common User' freight wagons to be updated. Some are relics from the early days of Airfix and Mainline. 

Hornby did a decent job of the LMS Coke, NE-style 21T Hopper, GWR and LNE Toads, etc and are addressing the legacy Stanier Brake Van.

Bachmann have a fair range of 16T minerals and 7/9 planks and made some good LNE and SR vans. The van bodies of GW parentage look reasonable althought I haven't measured any recently.

Big gaps are some better and more varied Open wagons such as the LMS corrugated end 5-plank and and GW 51/2 plank types and LMS style vans which continued in production under BR. These would need LMS and BR Clasp Brake underframes to be produced which would be useful under a lot of types such as the BR Lowfit, the wooden versin of which was built at Wolverton on LMS 8-shoe frames.

Then of course there are 14T and 20T tank wagons, but those are probably too much of a minefield for the big boys to contemplate.