Hornby 2019 announcements

Andy Y

I had mentioned previously this pack is more expensive than the Belmond Pullman Pack which all the items are super detailed including the Class 67 loco, just a bit strange how the Northern Belle pack is more expensive but it could be down to excessive license costs?

Most likely licensing cost....

Personally think that the Northern Belle pack should've been in the RailRoad range and priced at around £150-160, or not done at all? Nice opportunity to buy and detail up, but not at the current price.

• The loco is a Class 47 dressed up as a Class 57, this will pass as the earlier ones (like the Freightline ones, but not this)
  • The coaches are the older Mk.2D coaches which are really basic.
  • Even if you assume the loco to be £75 and coaches at £30 each, it gives you a total of £165, quite a bit in terms of licensing fees there
  • I don't think it makes sense at all, hope it sells for their sake, one of the only odd things IMHO in this range.

I think this will end up in the bargain bins.

Edited by MGR Hooper!

The 31 is £169, i hope its not railroad for that price!

Nothing in the promo materials say itis railroad.

Are you talking about these??

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2019/br-class-31-a1a-a1a-31102-era-7.html  

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2019/br-class-31.html

They have an RRP of £169.50

They are full spec models and totally different from the Hornby RailRoad one

My apologies - I misinterpreted Andy Y's introduction under the Diesel Electric Locos heading to imply that they were all ex-Lima but I now see that he was only referring to the Cl 66 models.

There appears a fair bit of confusion creeping in to this discussion about the HSTs on offer. The HST in the GWR train set appears to be Hornby's ancient own original (and incorrect) model from the 70s (which I think we all thought had been consigned to the crusher). The ones in the Railroad blue/grey train pack are the ex-Lima model, probably with the updated DCC-ready power bogie (that Hornby released once before, years ago, as a Railroad Virgin HST train pack). The rest of the HSTs are the newer mega detailed ones.

I would also be weary about assuming the Pullmans in the Belmond pack are the newer detailed ones. The price of the pack suggests otherwise. But let's see.

Edited by jixer

There appears a fair bit of confusion creeping in to this discussion about the HSTs on offer. The HST in the GWR train set appears to be Hornby's ancient own original (and incorrect) model from the 70s (which I think we all thought had been consigned to the crusher). The ones in the Railroad blue/grey train pack are the ex-Lima model, probably with the updated DCC-ready power bogie (that Hornby released once before, years ago, as a Railroad Virgin HST train pack). The rest of the HSTs are the newer mega detailed ones.

I would also be weary about assuming the Pullmans in the Belmond pack are the newer detailed ones. The price of the pack suggests otherwise. But let's see.

I accept that it is iconic & popular enough to justify both high-detail & Railroad ranges, but to retain 3 different toolings seems a bit odd to me. I am surprised they have not thrown 1 away.

Spot on...in list format

From the artwork:-

• GWR HST Train Set - Older Hornby HST Powercars + Hornby Mk3 coach
  • BR Blue HST Powercars - Lima HST Powercars

• GWR HST Powercars - Hornby Super-detailed
  • LNER Powercars - Hornby Super-detailed
  • ScotRail Powercars - Hornby Super-detailed
  • Arriva Crosscountry Powercars - Hornby Super detailed

• RMweb Gold

So no 08/Jinty/J94 from Hornby this year.

I guess they dont feel the need to take on the competition here, and having the new Peckett 0-6-0 it could be a distraction.

I wonder though if we might get a surprise 0-6-0 announcement from someone else ?

I accept that it is iconic & popular enough to justify both high-detail & Railroad ranges, but to retain 3 different toolings seems a bit odd to me. I am surprised they have not thrown 1 away.

The only reasonable assumption I can make is that they're being produced at different factories and therefore using the ex-Lima HST in one (BR Blue HST Powercars) and older Hornby tooling in another (GWR HST Train Set).

But yes, personally I think they need to sell off a lot of older tooling to get some much needed money.

• Like 1

I don't understand why they have chosen to stand on so many toes - Bachmann, rails, Dapol, hattons, djmodels (although I guess the last one is debatable) to name but a few. I would have thought the duplication reduces the profits for all the players. 

Duplication may challenge the expected (risk adjusted) profits of the existing players, but in what way can additional profitable revenue be bad for Hornby, the company's role isn't model railway sector philanthropy.

I'm kicking myself though, I've recently got the Bachmann GBRF 66 "Evening Star" @£140.00

But I will get the GBRF Large Logo blue 66, and I might see about a small rake of Mk2Fs to go with it.

Neatly summing up the application of Rule 1 in buying habits, and ably supporting Hornby's strategy in 'Railroading' a sector of its catalogue.

Do they? Surely that is a matter of personal opinion?  Very good models for sure, but nowhere near 'definitive' by current standards.

As someone said at 00.12: 'Surely that is a matter of personal opinion?'

that won't matter to people on a budget and children.

...and they will be over priced and generally not good enough on any count. 

Good enough on the basis of the market they're intended for, see MGR Hooper comment above.

Personally think that the Northern Belle pack should've been in the RailRoad range and priced at around £150-160, or not done at all? Nice opportunity to buy and detail up, but not at the current price.

• I don't think it makes sense at all, hope it sells for their sake, one of the only odd things IMHO in this range.

I think this will end up in the bargain bins.

Unless of course, this is directly aimed at the relatively affluent leisure market 'Northern Belle' clientele, bought by well-meaning (but probably undiscerning in model terms) partners as a reminder of the memories made on a lovely (and expensive) day out....

• Like 2

I guess they dont feel the need to take on the competition here, and having the new Peckett 0-6-0 it could be a distraction.

I wonder though if we might get a surprise 0-6-0 announcement from someone else ?

• Lots of Class 08s still around. Can be picked up for good prices too.
  • Bachmann themselves aren't producing too many 3F Jintys, so flooding the market there seems stupid.
  • DJM's J94 is still sitting on shelves, most of them in bargain bins, no point in Hornby doing it either.

TBH that shows they have common sense with people like Lyndon Davies and Simon Kohler at the helm.

Edited by MGR Hooper!

Unless of course, this is directly aimed at the relatively affluent leisure market 'Northern Belle' clientele, bought by well-meaning (but probably undiscerning in model terms) partners as a reminder of the memories made on a lovely (and expensive) day out....

True...however tooling up a Class 57 front end shouldn't have costed them the earth, it would've resulted in a budget version of the Class 57.

I agree.- But next year is the 75th Anniverrsary of the introduction of the "Silver Jubilee".  Hornby have the locos already  - let's have the rolling stock in 2020,  My Card should be full by then.

I think you mean the 85th Anniversary... The 75th was in 2010 and Hornby commemorated it by releasing all four Silver A4's.

Streamlined stock would be nice though!

• RMweb Premium

Remember that what was announced was 2019 new production . There may still be stock of these items and therefor appear in the 2019  catalogue . I don't know its just a thought!

• RMweb Premium

The only reasonable assumption I can make is that they're being produced at different factories and therefore using the ex-Lima HST in one (BR Blue HST Powercars) and older Hornby tooling in another (GWR HST Train Set).

But yes, personally I think they need to sell off a lot of older tooling to get some much needed money.

Could it just be the artwork?    Remember Hornby have form on mistakes in catalogue . It does seem odd they would produce both their 1977 HST and the Lima one .

• RMweb Premium

Firstly thank you to Andy and anyone else who contributed to the posting of the announcements. They are very clearly posted and easy to follow. It's very much appreciated. 

I have to say this announcement in relation to modern image/D&E modellers is very encouraging. 

ScotRail and Network Rail MK2s. Brilliant to hear that their is new tooling. I have both ScotRail Dapol 68s sat waiting to run with the ScotRail coaches and several DRS & Colas 37s sat waiting to run with the Network Rail coaches. For me these two liveries are important to see announced on the MK2s as I will finally be able to create prototypical trains and not have locos sat about because their is nothing to run with them. As for any modeller of modern image trains the NR coaches are really important with so many locos running with them: DRS 37s, Colas 37s, DB 67s, Colas 67s, DRS 68s etc to name some. So for me and no doubt many others this is a massive step in the right direction and even with new tooling the prices are excellent so well Hornby for this. Also we only have to wait until summer for the ScotRail coaches and autumn for the NR coaches meaning that we can start using them with our locos this year. 

HST Powercars. Brilliant to see so many variations and liveries announced! The GWR RailRoad train set models and BR Blue versions cheaper and aimed at a different market and then four sets of highly detailed models aimed at the opposite direction of the market. For me the GWR OOC and ScotRail Power Cars really interest me, especially with the new sliding door MK3s announced, we also have the correct corresponding coaches to go with. Also the ScotRail HST sets provide the opportunity to model a correct full length formation with just two power cars and four coaches. This will be significantly cheaper than modelling a GWR ful length train so again the variation and scope is nice. The 43093 GWR power car I imagine will look very nice and is a nice touch considering that it's probably going to be one of the last "special" liveries to be worn by a HST GWR power car as GWR are only keeping a few which I suppose means less chance of seeing the special liveries on them. This GWR power car set also adds to the variety that Hornby offer. So far they produced 187 and 188 in the standard GWR livery as a Limited Edition set, then 005 and 041 as a standard set with 041 named and now a special set as standard with the special livery and name on 093 with 016 to go with. Plenty of options their for those who like Limited Editions, special liveries or just a standard set in plain GWR green. 

A Hornby DB Red 60 at last, which should have been produced years ago when we saw the original machines overhauled and repainted at Toton. So that alone is a positive step in the right direction. 

Class 66s. Yes they are the RailRoad models and lack detail and are very basic but for the money they are good. They are good for children and other young people and even adults who don't want to spend £150 per model for the latest Hattons versions. Considering that with discounts you could buy two Hornby models and still have change from £150 is very good. I don't think it's a thing of attempting to reach the market before the Hattons versions because Hattons have already said that 783 and 789 will be the first to arrive in March and I doubt the Hornby models will have arrived by then. I think it's more of the fact that they are aimed at different markets. If you are happy with no working directional lighting, cab lights, less detail then go for the Hornby ones and if you want lighting options, correct light clusters, thorough detailing then go for the Hattons ones. It's good that we have options especially with the highly detailed models rightly commanding higher prices. Options in the current financial climate is good, because it means that their is something for everyone. 

The DB Pullman 67s. Very pleased to see that both have been announced, although I wish that Hornby would scrap the whole "pack" thing. If I'm honest for me personally I have no interest in the coaches themsleves just the locos. So for me to get the factory produced 021 and having to buy the coaches as well may mean that I decide not to buy either of the 67s because for both 67s plus coaches it's going to cost around £350. Or the other option I have is to buy x2 024 models and renumber one. On the other hand though the variation and addition of the other loco and coaches is their for those who want them, so again well done Hornby. The choice is good and it provides the opportunity to please everyone. 

LNER 800. A brilliant announcement and a necessary extension to the previous three GWR liveried sets announced. A change to see a different livery, using the same tooling to provide more scope and variation for modellers. Also the timing couldn't be more appropriate with the first sets to enter service soon. 

I can see what people are saying in that Hornby may have missed the boat so to speak in relation to a new 37 or 47. Yes they may have, but really we have to question if the need and desire is their for them? Considering the amount of both models released by Bachmann recently, personally speaking the Bachmann models provide me with enough detail, the livery application is good and Bachmann have added additional detailing to their recently produced 37s including 425 and 688. The question is, is how many would be willing to sell the Bachmann 37s/47s or buy additional new models? Again for me personally I have no need to swop any of them for a new model, a new model would come at a premium price and I wouldn't get much of a return for the Bachmann 37s judging by the recent prices that they sell for on Ebay which is around £100 each. For me that would be a significant difference in the money that I would have to find per model to contribute towards new models. My thoughts is that I don't need to find that money if they were announced because I am happy with the ones that I have. This is just my opinion and I realise that others will have different opinions. 

Currently I only have one Hornby model and that is a Colas 56 as previously Hornby have not announced much that has interested me. Nearly all of my models are Bachmann, Dapol or ViTrains. However this year is the year of change, as most of the above models interest me, so I need to decide which ones I want the most. I have never had to choose between Hornby models so this is a massive step in the right direction and Hornby have won some of my custom in 2019 and possibly 2020. Well done Hornby, a great set of announcements with plenty of variation and new tooling. Really impressive and a great start to 2019. 

• Like 4

I’m surprised all the major manufacturers don’t have a 31/37/47/60/66...

These are the standard locos ( or thereabouts ). I’m amazed that only blue box build the most prolific loco ( 47 ) without competition ( yes, forget the Hornby one , vi and Heljan out of production )

Like ford not having the fiesta...

One question, apologies if I've missed it in glancing over the previous 16 pages.

The MK2F - is this a revised/new tooling or the same slightly flawed version from the recent past?

Shame Hornby wont produced the MK2 RFB like Bachmann.

Slightly OT but my own personal prediction for D&E traction is that in 2019/20 someone will announce a newly tooled 37 or 47 along the lines of what Hattons and Accurascale have done with the 66/55. The current Bachmann 47/37 is good but not perfect by modern standards and with all the options should be good with sales if they get it right!

The question is, is how many would be willing to sell the Bachmann 37s/47s or buy additional new models?

I would! :drag:

Slightly OT but my own personal prediction for D&E traction is that in 2019/20 someone will announce a newly tooled 37 or 47 along the lines of what Hattons and Accurascale have done with the 66/55. The current Bachmann 47/37 is good but not perfect by modern standards and with all the options should be good with sales if they get it right!

I share the same feeling.

Edited by YesTor

The question is, is how many would be willing to sell the Bachmann 37s/47s or buy additional new models?

How many people, like me haven't bought many Bachmann 37s because they can't bring themselves to part with lots of dosh for the product of the comedy of errors that led to the current incarnations of the Bachmann 37?  I only have 6 but would have had very many more if it wasn't for the stretched nose, undersized windows, gouge in the bodyside etc etc etc.

If someone produces an unrefurbished 37 to the standard of a SLW 24 then I might have to start flogging off some of my stock on Ebay.

Edited by D6975

How many people, like me haven't bought many Bachmann 37s because they can't bring themselves to part with lots of dosh for the product of the comedy of errors that led to the current incarnations of the Bachmann 37?  I only have 6 but would have had very many more if it wasn't for the stretched nose, undersized windows, gouge in the bodyside etc etc etc.

If someone produces an unrefurbished 37 to the standard of a SLW 24 then I might have to start flogging off some of my stock on Ebay.

TBH I am surprised Hattons did the 66 and not a 47/37. If I was in this field I would be jumping to do one/both of these but get it right!!! Its critical to get it right given numerous failed attempts.

PS Seen elsewhere the MK2 is a new tooling - interesting times!!

• Like 2

I figure that depends upon which variants they select - original Rail Blue always seems to sell sooner rather than later, as do the umpteen BR Green versions that are out there - you can never have too many Rail Blue 08s surely?  :sungum:   For my money 08644 'Laira' was a little too quirky in the wrong way (current/'pastiche' Rail Blue); and I figure that the DB 08 is perhaps hampered by the fact that's it's only available with TTS - that's the only reason I haven't bothered to purchase the DB version myself - sure I know that the sound can be removed but I guess the initial price tag has discouraged me from hitting the 'Add to cart' button.

Personally I reckon that a Foster Yeoman Class 08 would do pretty well, particularly with the upcoming Dapol 59s and accompanying wagons, and no doubt all the Foster Yeoman-inspired layouts that may follow.  If anything I was expecting that a GWR 08 might have appeared in this year's range, hopefully that may come next year.

IMHO a BR blue, or indeed green, 08 (which could easily be renumbered and would suit both pre- and post-TOPS eras) with TTS sound would sell like hot cakes !

Seen elsewhere the MK2 is a new tooling - interesting times!!

Indeed.  You could only wonder why Hornby will have a range of Mk2E aircons, Mk2F aircons (basically so similar I couldn't tell them apart) and Mk3 aircons, but none of the Mk2Z, A, B or C variants. 

Indeed. You could only wonder why Hornby will have a range of Mk2E aircons, Mk2F aircons (basically so similar I couldn't tell them apart) and Mk3 aircons, but none of the Mk2Z, A, B or C variants.

I can never tell the difference between a Mk2E and Mk2F.

Regarding the Mk2A/B/C, I think Bachmann got some that are reasonably good. I don't know how widespread and popular they were, but if Hornby see a need to do them they will probably in the next 2 years.

I suspect you'll see the 2e quietly dropped or just produced for Railroad.  I think so long as the 2f addresses the flaws of the 2e they will sell well and people won't bother with the 2e so there will be no point making it.

Hornby lost a shedload of potential sales with me with the chassis issue as it just stuck out in my eyes and I couldn't "unsee" it.  I'm interested in the new model but will wait until they get reviewed before deciding.