Hornby 2019 announcements

Andy Y

Indeed.  You could only wonder why Hornby will have a range of Mk2E aircons, Mk2F aircons (basically so similar I couldn't tell them apart) and Mk3 aircons, but none of the Mk2Z, A, B or C variants. 

Absolutely, plus Hornby have Mark 2d aircons as well, albeit a 1970s model and the TSO with the wrong bodyshell !

I can never tell the difference between a Mk2E and Mk2F.

Regarding the Mk2A/B/C, I think Bachmann got some that are reasonably good. I don't know how widespread and popular they were, but if Hornby see a need to do them they will probably in the next 2 years.

Bachmann do the Mk2 and Mk2A. There haven't been any recent models of the Mk2B or Mk2Cs, I think the Lima Mk2 was a Mk2B

One question, apologies if I've missed it in glancing over the previous 16 pages.

Slightly OT but my own personal prediction for D&E traction is that in 2019/20 someone will announce a newly tooled 37 or 47 along the lines of what Hattons and Accurascale have done with the 66/55. The current Bachmann 47/37 is good but not perfect by modern standards and with all the options should be good with sales if they get it right!

The trouble is that there's no guarantee a new 37 /47 will be significantly better than Bachmann's models.

There are already those who think Lima did a better job of the 31 body than Hornby, that Hornby made a better fist of the 25/1 body shape than Bachmann , and that you can graft a Lima centre section into a 40

Dare we mention the DJM 14xx and Oxford's Dean Goods??

The higher the bar is already, the easier it is to fail to go higher. And the bigger the risk represented by the if   in " if they get it right!"

Edited to remove the brain fade which suggested B not H did a 31

Edited by Ravenser

Indeed.  You could only wonder why Hornby will have a range of Mk2E aircons, Mk2F aircons (basically so similar I couldn't tell them apart) and Mk3 aircons, but none of the Mk2Z, A, B or C variants. 

Maybe the thinking is that as Bachmann have had the earlier MK2's our for so long many people bought loads of these, especially back in the 'cheap' days of modelling (like I did). However with the MK2F hornbys previous release was flawed and then theres bachmanns new pricey offering that has put people off - many people are still sitting waiting to buy something. I am in this camp.

Edited by sanspareil

• RMweb Premium

I would! :drag:

I share the same feeling.

For me personally I paid around £100 per model new for the DRS & Colas 37s I have so for that money I am really happy with them. A new model of the same locos would be in the £150-£170 price range most likely so a significant increase for a better model, rightly so, although I couldn't justify selling my Bachmann 37s for say £80/£90 for them to sell and then have to find the difference for each new model. With the amount of liveries and numbers on the 37s if new models were produced it could become very expensive, very quickly. 

The question is, is how many would be willing to sell the Bachmann 37s/47s or buy additional new models?

How many people, like me haven't bought many Bachmann 37s because they can't bring themselves to part with lots of dosh for the product of the comedy of errors that led to the current incarnations of the Bachmann 37?  I only have 6 but would have had very many more if it wasn't for the stretched nose, undersized windows, gouge in the bodyside etc etc etc.

If someone produces an unrefurbished 37 to the standard of a SLW 24 then I might have to start flogging off some of my stock on Ebay.

By no means is the Bachmann 37 correct or as good as what it could be but for me I can see past these issues and for me it definitely holds up as a good model still. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

NO 31/4 gutted ... another missed opportunity.. this variant must tick so many peoples boxes …

I'm not into Peds at all, but didn't the later batch of 31/4s have detail differences, such as the reinforced driver's cab window, headlight and the ETH socket that may not be possible with the current tooling options?

For me personally I paid around £100 per model new for the DRS & Colas 37s I have so for that money I am really happy with them. A new model of the same locos would be in the £150-£170 price range most likely so a significant increase for a better model, rightly so, although I couldn't justify selling my Bachmann 37s for say £80/£90 for them to sell and then have to find the difference for each new model. With the amount of liveries and numbers on the 37s if new models were produced it could become very expensive, very quickly. 

By no means is the Bachmann 37 correct or as good as what it could be but for me I can see past these issues and for me it definitely holds up as a good model still. 

I think the price has to be compared to the current (rapidly increasing price) of Bachmanns older offerings. New Class 37's (discounted) are now retailing at about £135? If say a higher detailed/better mech model came in at £150 thats not much more?

Its interesting that while it might not be for all that both Accurascale and Hattons think theres a market here in doing similar with the 66/55.

Indeed I am not saying I could/would buy them as the hobby in general is getting too expensive for me,  but just a wider observation that there seems to be a (niche) market for highly detailed models at a slightly higher price based on Accurascale/Hattons proposals. If it goes for the 66/55 then the same will go for the 37/47.

• RMweb Premium

I think the price has to be compared to the current (rapidly increasing price) of Bachmanns older offerings. New Class 37's (discounted) are now retailing at about £135? If say a higher detailed/better mech model came in at £150 thats not much more?

Its interesting that while it might not be for all that both Accurascale and Hattons think theres a market here in doing similar with the 66/55.

Indeed I am not saying I could/would buy them as the hobby in general is getting too expensive for me,  but just a wider observation that there seems to be a (niche) market for highly detailed models at a slightly higher price based on Accurascale/Hattons proposals. If it goes for the 66/55 then the same will go for the 37/47.

Yes I agree, that the Bachmann 37s are becoming higher price and that for slightly more money people could buy new 37s and 47s. But for people like me who have bought them at discounted prices during sale events at £100 or so each I personally see little point in selling models at a loss to then have to put a significant amount of money towards to then buy new models but with more detailing as I am happy with the current levels of detailing that Bachmann offer. Obviously this won't be the case forever though and the Bachmann models will age in the coming years, meaning that the demand for new models is only going to rise and in a few years I might feel the same way, but for now for what I pay for models the 37s and 47s are good enough.

I mentioned on other threads in the past few years that the 66 could do with updating now that Bachmann models are £170 each for Limited Editions. Last year we duly saw Hattons announce 32 models which in my opinion is timed appropriately and correctly. The Bachmann offering has pretty much no detailing in between the body and chassis and looks empty so their is room for significant improvement their as well as better/new lighting features amongst other things. That said I still like the Bachmann models especially in the special liveries and Limited Editions and I will keep them because it's highly unlikely that Hattons will replicate the exact same models. But at the same time I am at some point hoping to acquire a couple of Hattons 66s. 

This is what makes it interesting. Everyone has different perspectives and viewpoints. At the moment I am happy with the current Bachmann 37s and 47s, although I wouldn't say no to highly detailed models in the future and I am really happy with the announcement of Hattons 66s as the Bachmann ones are outdated but for me still look good wearing the special liveries. 

• Like 2

And back in the day, if someone bought a model loco that had the 'wrong' lights and a door missing, they corrected them themselves and wrote an article for Railway Modeller to tell everyone else how they did it!

I'm pretty sure it's already been done. I have vague memories of such an article in Model Rail a few years ago.

Possibly worth looking for if anyone wants a project.

Jason

The 3 Pullman coaches in the Class 67 Pullman pack work out at around £20 each following normal discount. Will these therefore be Railroad range? They don't look to be from the picture?

Apparently they're full fat coaches but for me the jury is out on this until there is some sort of definitive confirmation either here or from Hornby.

The Duchess of Montrose in the same green livery that the Hornby Dublo version carried is inspired. This model holds fond childhood memories for me and for this alone it has an appeal that will see me buy one. I'm sure that many other people will too for similar reasons.

My old Hornby Dublo model will be retrieved from storage at my parents' house for old time's sake. Now if only Bachmann would release a standard class 4 tank with early crest as 80054....

• Like 1

Obnoxiously barging into the conversation to share my odious opinions, as is custom on the internet...

I think with the Ruston, Big Peckett and Terrier, Hornby really has realised 'There is a completely untapped market of small industrial prototypes that fit perfectly into the emerging trend of micro-layouts'. Plus you can make a really well detailed model cheaper and quicker than you can the big red or green stuff. All very good stuff, Hopefully this means the Princess and the 61XX will get a nice long development period and turn out a blinder.   

• RMweb Premium

It's better you ask Heljan to do one, the KFA logging wagon is as mentioned before based on a Cargowaggon and they can use existing CAD to tool it up.

Again - apologies for going OT.

The KFA log carrier that has been cut down from a Cargowaggon is actually quite a bit shorter than the Heljan model. (15mm or so in 4mm scale).

The underframe profile is also quite different, so hence the KFA would have to be a brand new CAD and tool from above the bogies.

My model log KFAs based upon the Heljan flats (which share the same underframe and length as their van) have made compromises to suit not shortening them.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

I figure that depends upon which variants they select - original Rail Blue always seems to sell sooner rather than later, as do the umpteen BR Green versions that are out there - you can never have too many Rail Blue 08s surely?  :sungum:   For my money 08644 'Laira' was a little too quirky in the wrong way (current/'pastiche' Rail Blue); and I figure that the DB 08 is perhaps hampered by the fact that's it's only available with TTS - that's the only reason I haven't bothered to purchase the DB version myself - sure I know that the sound can be removed but I guess the initial price tag has discouraged me from hitting the 'Add to cart' button.

Personally I reckon that a Foster Yeoman Class 08 would do pretty well, particularly with the upcoming Dapol 59s and accompanying wagons, and no doubt all the Foster Yeoman-inspired layouts that may follow.  If anything I was expecting that a GWR 08 might have appeared in this year's range, hopefully that may come next year.

For me this highlights the reason Hornby have been struggling, constantly picking the wrong livery or era for a perticular model, all too often people are bemoaning the lack of a livery or subclass of a class. Hornbys research department seems to be non existent compared to Bachmann, Heljan, etc

They will never please everyone, that’s obvious, but compared to other manufacturers Hornby seem to get more negative comments regarding the lack of what people want.

Staff at my WH Smiths (a Hospital branch) dont "know" anything about it either. But each of the last two years, its always just scanned through the tills, and the money deducted then. No different to a "buy one get one free" offer. Since the till system is national for all these chains, I would assume simply scanning the two items through the till at your branch of WHS will produce the same effect.

Thank you. I did not see any Hornby Catalogues at W. H. Smith at Swanage over the last two years. I note that according to the Key site the Hornby Magazine comes out tomorrow whereas the catalogue offer starts on Thursday 10 January. If it is not there I will buy it 2nd class post free on line.

• RMweb Gold

For me this highlights the reason Hornby have been struggling, constantly picking the wrong livery or era for a perticular model, all too often people are bemoaning the lack of a livery or subclass of a class. Hornbys research department seems to be non existent compared to Bachmann, Heljan, etc

They will never please everyone, that’s obvious, but compared to other manufacturers Hornby seem to get more negative comments regarding the lack of what people want.

But who decides what is the "wrong" era, livery or sub-class? They either make what you want or they don't.

If Hornby, or anyone else, wanted to cover every variation of every Class 47 in every year of its service (for instance) they'd have to make tens of thousands of different models, and most of them would be "wrong" for nearly everybody.

And there we have it - one possible reason why Hornby seem reluctant to involve themselves too deeply in diesel and electric traction.

Javelins and 800s are fine, new prototypes that haven't had time to acquire the arcane bodges that make the gricers' day. 

Forays into long-lived, numerically huge "old banger" classes like 37s and 47s which ended up with no two locos the same amount to, by comparison, a hiding to nothing. Any model can, at best, only represent with absolute accuracy a particular prototype loco as it was on a particular day. Those who want the same loco as it was two years earlier or two years later will carp. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3

I am very pleased with this years announcements. After some initial disappointment that there was no new pre-grouping mainline locomotive (yea, I'm greedy), I was uplifted by the new Terrier, the gaggle of industrial types, the ROD liveried J36 and LSWR brake van. Even nice to see a return of the clerestory GWR coaches. The shorter ones being the basis of many suggested conversions over the years. I soon racked up a good set of pre-orders. Sure glad I didn't put down a deposit on the Rails Terrier.

Well done Hornby, I hope you make a lot of money this year!

• RMweb Premium

I've been keeping up with this thread, dipping in regularly and I reckon that I've managed to properly read each post rather than skim past to the highlights. It's been interesting to see what we all thought about the announcement and while I can't claim strict statistical accuracy I get the impression that we're split about 50-50 between glass half full, glass half empty. Intriguingly this seems to mirror other aspects that divide national opinion where similar percentages hold sway.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I've been keeping up with this thread, dipping in regularly and I reckon that I've managed to properly read each post rather than skim past to the highlights. It's been interesting to see what we all thought about the announcement and while I can't claim strict statistical accuracy I get the impression that we're split about 50-50 between glass half full, glass half empty. Intriguingly this seems to mirror other aspects that divide national opinion where similar percentages hold sway.

Thanks for that analysis. I got lost in diesel sub-class arcana, so am happy to accept your judgement.

What I hope most of us feel is that Hornby has put its back into the 2019 programme. Lots and lots of models, covering multiple tastes and eras. We should be very grateful. You don’t need to have been gratified by any particular new product to see that, surely?

• Like 3

I don't understand why they have chosen to stand on so many toes - Bachmann, rails, Dapol, hattons, djmodels (although I guess the last one is debatable) to name but a few. I would have thought the duplication reduces the profits for all the players. Time will tell if the policy is successful I guess. Network rail mk2's for me this year that's all.

Mark

it is pretty certain that these duplications are unintended. The lead times of development for new models mean that Hornby have had theirs in hand long before Dapol, Rails etc announced their models.

• RMweb Gold

I think this is Hornby's best program of new models for years. It ticks a lot of boxes for me and I accept that there will be some for whom there is nothing. Of course there are models I would have liked, such as an Southern Olive Adams Radial for one but I am very happy to look forward to a couple of unexpected purchases this year.

Top drawer really.

Rob.

• Like 3

I note that amongst all the other announcements the popular Stanier corridor coaches are being released in 'Crimson & Cream' with a due date of next month. Hornby have however made an error under the picture of Corridor 3rd M2139M by quoting the description that relates to the Corridor First.

Philip