Hi all,

I've started to have a tidy through all the model railway items I've bought across the years and I have a lot of odds and ends. I have several 'bits boxes' which contain old sprues from kits which had extra parts on, odd detailing parts, old and damaged wagons and locos, bits of set track etc. I want something which is a bit more ordered as well as to engauge in a bit of cull to reduce the amount of stuff.

What do people's 'bits boxes' consist of and do any of you have any tips for bringing order to the chaos?

Cheers,

Jack

• Like 1

Hi all,

I've started to have a tidy through all the model railway items I've bought across the years and I have a lot of odds and ends. I have several 'bits boxes' which contain old sprues from kits which had extra parts on, odd detailing parts, old and damaged wagons and locos, bits of set track etc. I want something which is a bit more ordered as well as to engauge in a bit of cull to reduce the amount of stuff.

What do people's 'bits boxes' consist of and do any of you have any tips for bringing order to the chaos?

Cheers,

Jack

If you've not used something in the last ten years it's possibly unlikely you'll use it the next ten and by then there will almost certainly be something better available. Or you'll have forgotten you had in the first place. Leastways, that's generally what happens to me.

• Like 2

If you've not used something in the last ten years it's possibly unlikely you'll use it the next ten and by then there will almost certainly be something better available. Or you'll have forgotten you had in the first place. Leastways, that's generally what happens to me.

Maybe I just need to bite the bullet and bin a lot of it. As you say, if it's been gathering dust for 10 years, it'll probably gather dust for another 10 years.

• Like 1

I have far too many bits boxes and ziploc bags and small plastic tubs. One thing I've done in order to stop the chaos going even further is to use the card boxes (like the ones that cake companies use to try and make you think their cake bars are bigger than they really are) and store all the parts for a wagon or a track machine project in its' own box. In the past I've bought a box for holding 30 cotton reels and used it for bits and bobs, it was contoured for the reels which has the advantage that there are less corners for small parts to get stuck in and you can use the curved side to slide the small part up to grab it easier. 

• Like 1

I use a Von Haus 30 drawer storage box, great for bits and bobs, small tools etc. For bigger odds and s*ds, brushes, paints, model kits and larger sections of plasticard etc I have a flat-pack chest of drawers which I have reinforced the bottoms of with pine bed slats.

• RMweb Gold

Flying Tiger have multi compartment bits boxes at £4 a throw if you feel the need to get really organised.

I would echo the comments about bits and bobs being age related too, I've thrown plenty of buffers, couplings and sundry other detailing parts away because there are far better efforts currently available, if not complete wagons and locos.

Mike.

• Like 1

My bits box is literally an Amazon cardboard box. Being the RTRbasher I am it contains, amongst other things, several totally dismantled Hornby and Triang starter locomotives, some Trix wagons, a complete Triang Princess body, couple motors, some valve gear, a near complete DMU minus wheels, and all sorts of other crap. I have no way of organising it, so sadly can't help you on that front.

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Like 1

Hi all,

Do not just bin it. Offer it to some one here as they may find something useful in it.

My scraps bin contains engine bodies, spare motors, spare tenders, Bits of broken wagons and coaches. All sorts wheels and chassis. And an assortment of bits and pieces from god knows where that just may come in useful at some point.

The again you can virtually guarantee that if you throw it away you will suddenly find that you need something out of the box.

Hi all,

Do not just bin it. Offer it to some one here as they may find something useful in it.

My scraps bin contains engine bodies, spare motors, spare tenders, Bits of broken wagons and coaches. All sorts wheels and chassis. And an assortment of bits and pieces from god knows where that just may come in useful at some point.

The again you can virtually guarantee that if you throw it away you will suddenly find that you need something out of the box.

That sound just like mine. My wife calls it the shed!!

Well it's up to you, but people find Ferraro Rocher chocolate boxs useful for small items, can't confirm this though as no one in my family likes them. So I have a supply problem!

Due to this I use tin biscuit tubs with labels on ( it's a good time of year as they should be empty by now) for large stuff and small compartment clear plastic tray thing as sold in pound shops for the small bits , I just recommend makeing sure it has a decent clipping shut lid so that if (when) you knock it over the lid stays shut !

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Poundland (other high quality emporiums are available) sell packs of food containers (Chinese takeaway sizes)  - I found these are handy for storing similar stuff in, with the advantage of being transparent. 

I use quite a few for opened packs of ground cover - static grass, leaves, soils, etc, which are useful when adding the stuff to the layout.  Other ones are used to store figures, fishplates & bufferstops, LEDs, Wills windows & doors - etc, etc.

Also from Poundland you can purchase larger boxes (washing-up bowl sized, but taller), in which to then store the transparent boxes, or spray tins of paint, or paint match pots, or coffee stirrers, or plasticard sheets, tools, soldering irons, etc.

I sound really OCD, but SWMBO would say I'm extremely messy and the garage "needs to be cleared out of all that rubbish you never use".....

...a couple of shelves of these boxes??

You off work then?  I don't see any sign of a Toady E being worked on on that work bench!

Anyhow job in hand. Sandwich filling boxes (from the Co-op and washed out of course).

ANTITHESIS

post-508-0-89454000-1548351275_thumb.jpg

P

• Like 1

...top shelf. just to the right of the scarlet airfix brakevan...

Another project to be consigned to the scrapbin of experience.  Tis alright though, I have a use for all the leftovers.

Talking of leftovers...   a quick twist to the left, "oooo me back!" reveals poundland freezer boxes, 10 for errrr. 100p.

post-508-0-31849800-1548354682_thumb.jpg

followed by a slow twist to the right, revealing a multitude of recycled boxes, bottles & tins of many, many descriptions & origins. All probably destined for the world of the rail society 2nd hand tat stall.

post-508-0-15329900-1548355054_thumb.jpg

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

My bits box is an old biscuit box. Zip lock bags are used to organise the contents, there's a bag for sprue cut-offs, one for buffers, one for wheels, etc etc. It's chock full so a new box is being  pressed into service.

• Like 1

The issue with this is that I'd have to go through everything and document what it is, list it online and then package up and post 101 different things. It's something which I unfortunately don't have the time to do.

Hi Rods,

Just offer the whole shebang as one lot. No need to list everything. Just add it as a lucky dip. Put the post up here for any one who wants it. Just ask for the cost of shipping or they can pick it up if local.

• RMweb Gold

Another project to be consigned to the scrapbin of experience.  Tis alright though, I have a use for all the leftovers.

Talking of leftovers...   a quick twist to the left, "oooo me back!" reveals poundland freezer boxes, 10 for errrr. 100p.

attachicon.gifAnthithesisII.jpg

followed by a slow twist to the right, revealing a multitude of recycled boxes, bottles & tins of many, many descriptions & origins. All probably destined for the world of the rail society 2nd hand tat stall.

attachicon.gifAnthesisIII.jpg

P

I'd report that burglary, the bloody mess they leave behind.

Mike.