Worst station improvements/modernisations 1950s to today

QuoitsPlayer

• RMweb Gold

Mike

I do think that Andy has a bit of a point, though. ‘The System’ does have the capability to make simple things complicated.

It is still possible to ‘whip-up a station in ten minutes’, as was evidenced a few years back when one was created to provide a service during flooding in Cumbia(?), so ‘where there’s a will, there’s a way’.

The rash of Halts built c1905 when motor-trains were invented would take far, far longer if ‘the system’ was allowed to play out today. Not anything like entirely ‘a railway’ problem, of course, because planning regulations are now, rightfully inmy view, in place, but ‘planning’ isn’t the whole story.

Kevin

The “halts” is a fascinating thing.

Close to me is Bandon Halt, open for only 8 years, between 1906-1914. A wooden 2 platform, 2 coach length affair.

http://www.semgonline.com/location/bandonhalt.html

On learning of it, i thought i’d go see whats the chance of anything remaining.

I was surprised to find the concrete footings are still intact, and visible, as is an LBSCR drain and the lampost fixings.

Getting down to the platform site was easy too, the original entrance from the bridge is still present and you can walk down it, rightupto the trackside fence, where it now the veers off to the for the housing estate. The only thing missing is the wooden platform itself.

If TFL convert this line to trams, they could reinstate this station very quickly, which considering theres many housing estates on all sides, could make sense. Indeed if they built a new set of terminal station platforms in the former unused West Croydon sidings, and took the trams off the road outside the station and onto the current station footprint, the whole thing could be at ground level without lifts. You could then demolish the old station on all sides and above and open out the whole site. Let trams takeover the line all the way to Epsom downs. That would solve the trams to sutton problem, give the line a better service, with more halts like this serving the non-stop stream of properties along its length. Today its Southerns withered arm providing the 60 minute slow boat route to Victoria, where as the Carshalton branch (also from Sutton gives a 25 minute service), both lines have oodles of unused capacity.. trams would give passengers easy access to East Croydon for connections, and give Southern an end point for its slow services via Crystal Palace etc with begrudgingly having to run upto Epsom Downs. (Most passengers change at West Croydon from Overground, or at Sutton for a fast train anyway, to avoid the pain of this 10 mile journey).

Finally it would reduce need for trams in busy West Croydon high street, and putting back halts like this and othere would reduce need for drivers driving to Wallington, Hackbridge and Sutton to park for a train.

Edited by adb968008

Mike

I do think that Andy has a bit of a point, though. ‘The System’ does have the capability to make simple things complicated.

It is still possible to ‘whip-up a station in ten minutes’, as was evidenced a few years back when one was created to provide a service during flooding in Cumbia(?), so ‘where there’s a will, there’s a way’.

The rash of Halts built c1905 when motor-trains were invented would take far, far longer if ‘the system’ was allowed to play out today. Not anything like entirely ‘a railway’ problem, of course, because planning regulations are now, rightfully inmy view, in place, but ‘planning’ isn’t the whole story.

Kevin

Yes (indeed we did the same in the 80's at Malton when the line was flooded), but I responded to the suggestion that it was making it more difficult to re-open or open new facilities. The evidence does not support that.

Take Maghull North, on Merseyrail, which opened last year A joint enterprise between local authority, NR and private developers. But construction took just 8 months (and this is a staffed station with lots of facilities not normally provided at that kind of new facility). 

The issues are most certainly more complex and expensive, not least because of DDA accessibility compliance, but also due to utilities, highways capacity or diversion, wayleaves, and full planning rigour including resistance, including even TWAO sometimes, where grandfather rights do not exist. Early railways had few of these to worry about, let alone Building Regs, mandatory standards and all other such stuff which applies nowadays. Add to that the capability of absorbing an extra stop into already crowded railway routes (let alone train capacity), and you have a need to properly evaluate, collectively plan, submit to all interested parties, revise, and formalise, before you stick a single spade in the ground.

A few bits of scaffolding and planks just won't cut it for anything permanent.

• RMweb Premium

The problem at St Pancras is that the extension is anyway just a poor piece of architecture: lumpen, dark, draughty and yet still stinking of diesel fumes. It doesn’t have to be like that: the King’s Cross works next-door are light, airy and effective, yet obviously a modern addition.

That is largely a result of the continued use of diesel trains on the MML. If all services were electric then the glass screens at the sides could extend fully up to the roof line as ventilation and removal of fumes wouldn't be an issue, plus the roof itself could be largely made up of transparent material making the platforms less dingy.

I understand the reason for the design chosen and given the way the extension is wider than the original arched roof, the low profile extension was the best way forward architecturally speaking - its just a shame that Government policies over the past four decades have meant the continued use of diesel trains when most other European capital cities junked them in favour of electric traction years ago

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Compare that to the previous several decades, when funding was very "simple".

"simple" = there wasn't any.

I remember Cradley being done. The scheme had been turned down several times until the GM and some PTE bigwigs were dropped off there for a visit on a very wet Black Country day. They found that conditions inside the building were worse than outside on the platform. Funding mysteriously got into the budgets the following month.

A bit of creative accounting by the Pway and S&T got track and signalling adjusted the under the guise of Level Crossing and Signalling Renewals. Even then it nearly got scuppered because the Architect came up with a grandiose building which would have cost more than all other departments put together. 

• Like 2

The particular example I had in mind is "Portway Parkway", a proposed stopping place on the Severn Beach line near Avonmouth. The line skirts an existing park-and-ride facility, so car parking is already in place and the line is single so there is no need for a footbridge. I can't see what needs to be built other than a platform with a shelter and lighting. The local paper has been reporting for years that it's "about to happen" but so far nothing ever has.

Central government funding (£1.7 million) was only authorised in mid-2017 (which is what they were waiting for - they missed out on funding in the first tranche, 2013, of the New Stations Fund), along with some local authority funding. Work started in late 2017 on ground surveys and detailed design. The "station" will also include a new building for park and ride bus passengers, to be shared with rail facilities. Construction is starting in 2019 with completion due early 2020.

This has been rather more successful than the MetroWest scheme attempts to secure central funding - I believe they are still £47 million short?

The one that in a sense escaped was Nottingham Victoria - if the GC had remained open no doubt it would still have had a shopping centre built on top and in probability the sad sight that exists of the clock tower dwarfed by 1970s brutalism would still have occurred.

I'd imagine that it would have still been (mostly) knocked down. The GCR London extension didn't have the most frequent of services by main line standards, so the old 10+ platform Victoria was far too big to be retained to handle this limited service and a couple of trains an hour to Grantham (assuming those were never diverted to the Midland station as happened in reality). 

Around 80 new stations have been opened (or re-opened) on the national rail network since 2000, with another dozen or so in the pipeline, and a further list being considered across the country. That doesn't include all the new stations opened on metro or tram style routes.

Compare that to the previous several decades, when funding was very "simple".

But very few of them have been in England......

Manchester Piccadilly. Unless you are going to London (and who wants to?) most of the useful trains start from the former MSJ&A platforms, 13 and 14, from which all the waiting rooms have recently been removed, leaving a wind (and rain) swept desert where passengers can play guess the train stopping place. (These are long platforms and it isn't always obvious.)

This location is of course a nice long walk (and climb) away from the main entrance. A good preparation for the Pennine Way; really I don't know why they don't go the whole hog and run trains from Ardwick. While the main concourse, which used to be spacious and airy, is now cluttered with the usual motley collection of retail boxes selling overpriced rubbish. 

The whole place could do with being levelled by squadrons of B52 bombers, and then rebuilt as a functioning railway station.

List of openings since 2008 at this site:

https://www.railfuture.org.uk/New+stations

From which I make it roughly 35 new stations in England, 15 in Wales, 20 in Scotland since 2008. 

(I might be one or two out each way, only a rough count, and I was ignoring tram stops)

Another list here: https://trundleage.co.uk/about/reopened-railway-stations/

going back to 1994.

Edited by eastwestdivide

Just pick any Manchester suburban station in the 1980’s.

Make half the platform derelict, covered in weeds, with boarded up waiting room, but a windowless bus shelter, better still foregoe 3 sides of the waiting room, but leave the platform wall as a mismatch of height / colour reflecting Dark exterior walks, and what was considered rear walls of porters room, waiting room etc that have been demolished but the rear wall left as a retaining wall.

Add a station building, but forcibly remove it leave a raw concrete base and a scattering of red bricks

For the platform make it an unorganised mess of stones, cobbles, tarmac, concrete, asphalt etc.

Put an upturned burnt out car in the car park.

Remove any glass

Add drug paraphenalia in the fourfoot.

You could go single line, remove 1 track (very few single lines left their former second line in situe), but fill the second line with weeds and sleeper outlines, with the odd sleeper. The other platform could remain, just make it fully overgrown.

Outside the station you need a row of burnt out terraces, boarded up, the last one partially collapsing.

Then add a pub called the Lord Nelson, with at least one raw wood covered window, with an advert for an Elvis band in the Dorchester room with a bling sparkling wine promo.

And a Chinese takeaway next door, room for more .. a Chippy. (No kebabs or indian in the 1980’s) or a 50p store. (Pre £1 shops in those days).

Make sure every second car on the road is a police car and add a riot van, plus various decrepit white transit vans, and a flatbed with advertising for “we buy scrap” on the side.

add an advertisement board for Asda indicating a “whoops 10p sale”, another for Carling black label, if youve space for more you can include adverts for Butlins, Blackpool Tower, Benson & Hedges and Coop. Just make sure you rip off the advert at the bottom edges, you can miss part of a panel if you like... for example drop the L of Blackpool.

In the back drop include a factory mill in the process of demolition.

You’ll not go wrong putting a scrap yard or a car mechanics yard, with halfs of cars of differing states in what was a goods yard, dogs and lots of barbed wire.

Along the trackside, between a badly damaged fence and the track add detrious like a sofa, bed, washing machine, endless empty drinks cans, discarded childrens toys.

Dont park any cars in the side street, except 1, on bricks, with broken glass in the road.

Grafiti, loads of it, but mostly white (people didnt go fully new york in those days, they couldnt afford more than one can of paint).

Dont bother with station signs, most will have been nicked, the main station sign outside should have holes in it and letters missing.

Still got space, add a factory fence, with locked factory gates, behind the fence just leave a brown field of rubble. (No for sale sign, or sold for development.. in the 1980’s there was no signs of hope).

The good thing about modelling this, is you cant make mistakes with paint.. there wasnt any picassos in the neighbourhood for sure.

Make sure in your rolling stock, a good few coaches have shattered windows.

It would be possible to model some lines with a single 2 car blue class 101 for the full day, but to liven it up add a blue grey 101. For more adventure include class 104, 108, 110 or even mix the trailers, class 128.

For freight, class 24/5/31/40/45/46/47/50 all in blue. 16ton minerals, lots of them, any length train you like, add in mixes of battered HUO, 21t mineral, box van, HEAs. Other includes CCT, GUV, BG mixed parcels (red bank vans could be very lengthy). Different areas could include the Salford Binliner, Cawoods Coal (open topped ISO containers of coal on freightliner wagons), RMC, ICI hoppers, BOC tanks, freightliners, Steel BAAs, MGR, 100t TEAs, Civil Engs and Speedlink workings.

At this time few commuted on suburban trains, they just went betwen major stations (Bolton, Wigan, Chorley etc), so you dont need many stopping services, but the freight is what livened it all up.

(You can see ive extensively researched this).

Examples that come to mind include... Darwen, Moses Gate, Ashburys, Denton, Reddish south, Blackrod, Clifton, Walkden, Whitefield, Radcliffe, anything upto Burnley, Salford, anything to Wigan, anything between Eccles to Warrington, Oldham loop the list is endless.

Manchesters suburban railway stations werent run on a budget, there just wasnt any money.. in revenue or for maintenace, but for Whitehall paying crews wages and providing fuel there wouldnt have been any trains either at these unstaffed stations, many which had hourly services. The 1980’s was as low as it got.

One thing i didnt mention in this list was passengers, there just wasnt any, nor people on the streets outside. Passngers on the train usually all read newspapers to avoid looking outside. Propylen had moved on to cars and buses, it was safer, faster, cheaper and often branchlines that fed this stations had gone. The only reason they survived was they cost nothing to run, and it was politically intolerant to close them.

The turning point was the arrival 142’s and 150’s. GMPTE / Regional Railways did a miracle for the north west’s railways. The branding effort alone, together with repainting, signage and maintenance recovered them substantially. What followed was the Lazarus recovery, with lines like Blackburn - Helifield saved and services back to Clitheroe, re opened stations like Mills Hill, Hazel Grove chord, Windsor link etc. but there are still some stations that have still yet to feel the love.

Make sure before you start to model it, you have a stiff drink, and watch something mind numbingly happy afterwards. Indeed modelling this could be a cure for depression, as you could see how bad things really could be, but it would be an eye opening layout, especially if in parallel someone made a before (1960’s and an after 2000’s layout)... all I need be is a simple 2 track 6ft layout (+ fiddle) between two overbridges or a tunnel with a 4ft platform.., i’d Even run it at a 45degree angle across the table width (giving a nearly 7ft straight) to give differing perspective of coming at visitors from an angle rather than a usual left to right.

You could probably add, not too far away, Bootles Oriel Road and New Strand, Edge Hill, Seaforth &Litherland, and several others on Merseyrail to that list

Edited by 62613

The ratio of England new stations to Scotland or Wales is about 2 to 1, since the mid-1990's. If you include light railways (probably more relevant given the new Metro's in Manchester, Sheffield, Birmingham and the DLR and Tramlink in London), it is more like 7 to 1.

I would expect more of someone who purports to be a railway enthusiast.

Edited by Mike Storey

Manchester Piccadilly. Unless you are going to London (and who wants to?) most of the useful trains start from the former MSJ&A platforms, 13 and 14, from which all the waiting rooms have recently been removed, leaving a wind (and rain) swept desert where passengers can play guess the train stopping place. (These are long platforms and it isn't always obvious.)

This location is of course a nice long walk (and climb) away from the main entrance. A good preparation for the Pennine Way; really I don't know why they don't go the whole hog and run trains from Ardwick. While the main concourse, which used to be spacious and airy, is now cluttered with the usual motley collection of retail boxes selling overpriced rubbish. 

The whole place could do with being levelled by squadrons of B52 bombers, and then rebuilt as a functioning railway station.

Piccadilly's concourse size was quadrupled in the major rebuild of the 1990's, in terms of passenger circulating area. I can't see anything in recent pictures that has encroached on that?

The location of the through platforms is a major headache, but you omit to mention the new entrance on that side provided at the time for the University and new development.

I don't disagree it could all be better, and the Mayor's/Northern Powerhouse's plan for further re-building may see that happen. But Grayling's refusal to sanction the two additional through platforms, until all other possibilties have been explored, has led to extreme measures like removing the buildings on 13/14 - the overcrowding was becoming dangerous.

• RMweb Premium

The ratio of England new stations to Scotland or Wales is about 2 to 1, since the mid-1990's. If you include light railways (probably more relevant given the new Metro's in Manchester, Sheffield, Birmingham and the DLR and Tramlink in London), it is more like 7 to 1.

I would expect more of someone who purports to be a railway enthusiast.

England might have reopened more stations but its done NOTHING about reopening railway lines to passengers since 1994*. Meanwhile Wales made sure passenger trains returned to the Ebbaw Vale branch and the vale of Glamorgan route while Scotland has rebuilt 3 lines from scratch! (one fully double tracked and electrified).

Reopened / new stations are all very well but they arne't really expansion of the railway system - just enhancing what already exists. As useful as these new stations may be to the users, they haven't actually made a radical difference to the railway network as a whole and in some ways could be seen by some as 'disbenefits' and end to end users journeys now take longer.

As such people have every right to be critical of Englands performance - which is constantly held back by the mandarins in Whitehall and a set of mediocre / awful Transport secretaries who constantly stall on reopening railways despite ample evidence from the Scots that reopening are successful with good financial results and ridership being experienced every time.

* A tiny chord at Todmorden does not count

If you take Mike's comment about light rail then they've re-opened the GWR Snow Hill to Wolverhampton line and probably others he mentioned. Just because it isn't re-opened as heavy rail doesn't mean it doesn't count, surely? I'm not sure there are that many lines which would really justify re-opening, though. Round here the mothballed Stourbridge to Walsall line certainly but I can't think of that many others. If we take out the nostalgia element is there a real need when other forms of public transport would do it better (and there's the issue, buses in rural areas are usually better, especially for the elderly and disabled, but they're being cut back)... 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I quite like Manchester Piccadilly, although I should probably point out that I never went there before it was reworked. 13 and 14 are a problem and pretty grim but have they got much worse (other than much busier)? Removing the buildings on them isn't too terrible when there's the information to wait above them without worrying about missing your train, and as has been pointed out they were getting very crowded.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

This topic probably needs to be split into small, medium and large categories. My nomination would hardly compare with Euston or New Street for over-powering awfulness but it is awful, nevertheless. Newquay. To be fair it probably vies with its South Cornwall equivalent at Falmouth Docks, but while few people venture to the deepest end of the Falmouth branch, lots (in summer at least) go to Newquay. It is scarcely recognisable as a station, from the street, merely a gap between the shops in a crummy 1970s precinct. The gap is a passage where one wades through cigarette butts and piles of puke to reach a one coach train parked way down a lengthy platform because, apparently, a couple of track panels could be saved by not laying track right to the end of the platform. I'll admit my impression is a little dated but I wonder if there's been dramatic improvement in the past few years? (CJL)

Then I'm glad I photographed it in 1974 when it seemed a remarkable survival in an era when most branch line termini had already been degraded to the minimum. And its probably as well that I've never been back since.

10419910203_aa6fafba05_c.jpgAPR 74 36. A DMU stands at Newquay station, April 19 1974 by Andy Kirkham, on Flickr

Another seaside terminus that has distinctly come down in the world is Morcambe.

Edited by Andy Kirkham
  • Like 5

Piccadilly's concourse size was quadrupled in the major rebuild of the 1990's, in terms of passenger circulating area. I can't see anything in recent pictures that has encroached on that?

The location of the through platforms is a major headache, but you omit to mention the new entrance on that side provided at the time for the University and new development.

I don't disagree it could all be better, and the Mayor's/Northern Powerhouse's plan for further re-building may see that happen. But Grayling's refusal to sanction the two additional through platforms, until all other possibilties have been explored, has led to extreme measures like removing the buildings on 13/14 - the overcrowding was becoming dangerous.

There always an entrance in Fairfield Street, albeit a less fussy one. The fact remains that it's still a long way from the city centre whether you go to the "new" entrance or work your way through the traditional main entrance.

Platforms 13 and 14 are a disgrace to a major city, however you look at them. The truth is whoever is responsible has screwed up the railway provision in Manchester not least by seriously downgrading and reducing Victoria, which could have been a far better locus for cross country trains than an isolated platform originally designed just to give connections to the Altrincham locals. It is now going to cost billions to put things right, if it ever is put right. Oxford Road station is small and hopelessly overworked, and the two track line from Piccadilly to Deansgate Junction is a complete bottleneck. not helped by the fact that a lot of important freight traffic has to go that way due to all the sensible alternatives having been closed. As a result the new chord round to Victoria (Castlefield Chord) cannot be used properly. Punctuality? What punctuality? Even modern signalling cannot force two quarts into a pint pot without causing serious delays.

• Like 1

England might have reopened more stations but its done NOTHING about reopening railway lines to passengers since 1994*. Meanwhile Wales made sure passenger trains returned to the Ebbaw Vale branch and the vale of Glamorgan route while Scotland has rebuilt 3 lines from scratch! (one fully double tracked and electrified).

Reopened / new stations are all very well but they arne't really expansion of the railway system - just enhancing what already exists. As useful as these new stations may be to the users, they haven't actually made a radical difference to the railway network as a whole and in some ways could be seen by some as 'disbenefits' and end to end users journeys now take longer.

As such people have every right to be critical of Englands performance - which is constantly held back by the mandarins in Whitehall and a set of mediocre / awful Transport secretaries who constantly stall on reopening railways despite ample evidence from the Scots that reopening are successful with good financial results and ridership being experienced every time.

* A tiny chord at Todmorden does not count

I catch your drift, but it's a bit harsh. Since 1994, HS1 (I count that as re-opening the SER Main Line....), London Overground (certain sections), Halifax to Huddersfield, the Bicester Curve, Kettering to Corby and now of course, the first stage of the East West route. Add in Heathrow T5, DLR extensions, Manchester and Birmingham metro extensions and at some point Crossrail, then your comparison becomes a little hazy.

On top of which East West route continues and HS2 (which I count as re-opening the Great Central...) are highly active. I know its comparing apples with pears in some cases, and the Scottish re-openings have certainly been done with vigour, contrasting vividly with the hesitant approach in England, but......

Of the 37 re-openings now under consideration in the UK, 22 are in England and one is between England and Scotland. Not that many of them are likely to get built, but four of five now on the most likely list (and which have received funding in principle decisions, or have been funded to advanced development, are all in England. Add in a few new routes,such as Heathrow South Western Link, HS2 Phase 2b, and perhaps something more on Trans-Pennine, and there isn't exactly a shortage. The big difference came when some spending authority was devolved to local authorities, and it is accelerating with the creation of combined authorities in various forms. Essentially, the local drive for local needs, is going to be far greater than the sloths at Marsham Street. Scotland, being smaller in terms of population than London alone, already had this sense, and Wales is discovering it now.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

One of the greatest success stories of the modern railway is the rejuvenation of Marylebone and the restoration of the line to Birmingham. OK it may be more rejuvenation than new construction but if you remember those lines and Marylebone in the 80's it was a very sorry shadow of something and a closure waiting to happen. Now it is a terrific service, one of the best in the country in terms of customer service. And that is in England.

• Agree 1

There always an entrance in Fairfield Street, albeit a less fussy one. The fact remains that it's still a long way from the city centre whether you go to the "new" entrance or work your way through the traditional main entrance.

Platforms 13 and 14 are a disgrace to a major city, however you look at them. The truth is whoever is responsible has screwed up the railway provision in Manchester not least by seriously downgrading and reducing Victoria, which could have been a far better locus for cross country trains than an isolated platform originally designed just to give connections to the Altrincham locals. It is now going to cost billions to put things right, if it ever is put right. Oxford Road station is small and hopelessly overworked, and the two track line from Piccadilly to Deansgate Junction is a complete bottleneck. not helped by the fact that a lot of important freight traffic has to go that way due to all the sensible alternatives having been closed. As a result the new chord round to Victoria (Castlefield Chord) cannot be used properly. Punctuality? What punctuality? Even modern signalling cannot force two quarts into a pint pot without causing serious delays.

Well, this might cheer you up, a bit.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/jan/25/manchester-tram-train-network

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Kidderminster. Unless I missed it. Not the rather fine SVR station.

Went from this.

640px-Kidderminster_station%2C_1963_-_33

To this 

Kidderminster_%28Network_Rail%29_Station

Photos from Wikipedia.

Jason

Indeed. Extensive dry rot in the 1960's condemned the first.

But the second will shortly be no more. Work has already started on this:

http://www.worcestershire.gov.uk/news/article/1689/kidderminster_station_improvements

Sunderland...

Rebuilt and modernised between 1953 and 1965 to create a 'orrible dark,depressing hole in the ground.

Slightly improved and not quite so dark following redevelopment 2008-10 in conjunction with the arrival of the Tyne and Wear Metro.

Buried out of sight beneath dated 1960s commercial development, it must be one of the least attractive and inviting stations especially when considering the size of the city it serves.

Between 2015-7 I think plans were submitted to redevelop the above ground area. Let's hope they're realised as the city deserves something better after waiting over 50 years.

• Like 1