RMweb

Car reg.no. puzzle

spikey

The changeover from Jan to August in '67 caused some manufacturers to have to airbrush some of their pre-release artwork, for example the very early press fleet Mk2 Minis had 'E' registrations which were changed to 'F' for publication in September and October, just in time for the Earls Court Motor Show. If you ever find a Mk2 Mini for sale with an 'E' suffix it'll also have some subtle differences inside to the production cars. The Mk2 Mini range was supposed to have been launched in June / July '67, before the new August registration changeover kicked in but it was delayed because behind the scenes things were very chaotic at BMC at the time.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, alastairq said:

Vehicle of indeterminate origin.....not 'age'.....

"The changes in 1983 also brought the letter Q into use – although on a very small and limited scale. It was used on vehicles of indeterminate age, such as those assembled from kits, substantial rebuilds, or imported vehicles where the documentation is insufficient to determine the age."

• RMweb Premium

My fathers first car was a Monty-no-go G463 LBD, my brothers was a Vauxhall shovit HKX 314V, and mine was a Moggy thou LUT 890F.

Andy G

Edited by uax6

On 09/02/2019 at 08:52, jcm@gwr said:

To be really pedantic, 'E' (1967) was the shortest year, it ran from Jan to Aug, and it was done to remove the spike from

the Christmas holidays. This reduced the appeal of a new car and registration for Christmas, I owned an 'E' plate Triumph

Vitesse 2L.

Also, 'Q' was/is reserved for 'vehicles of indeterminate age' ie imported cars, kit cars, etc.

Yes, thanks JCM. I wasn't sure I had that right, but obviously my attempt was the wrong way round. 

My first car was a mini traveller (with the battery in the back) CWK265C. 

• Like 1

On 09/02/2019 at 09:56, Johann Marsbar said:

Ipswich County Borough reserved the first 200 of any issue after the suffix letters were introduced for motorcycles, from memory. A few of their buses were an exception to this rule though....

ADX1 being a notable one....:blush_mini:

Edit: Oh and first car UPE271S - A white and rust colour Fiesta 950 base model

Edited by admiles

Me and my first motor, JUK 629K.  Great car for your first drive as it was one of those vehicles which actually needed the recommended stopping distances shown in the Highway Code to come to a halt, also being tail heavy it taught you to respect Centrifugal force and bends.

me and the veedub2.jpg

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, admiles said:

Edit: Oh and first car UPE271S - A white and rust colour Fiesta 950 base model

As far as I know it was only from when they introduced the B suffix that the early numbers were reserved for motorcycles (actually the first 250 rather than 200) - so the likes of ADX 63 & 64B on ICT buses broke that rule (although they should have been UDX 63 & 64 but were delivered late.....).

No restriction like that on the "original" letter and number combinations, otherwise you wouldn't have seen vehicles like this with low numbers.....

82-040.JPG.26e3af49eead056f4c0499d706f18b6c.JPG

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

Me and my first motor, JUK 629K.  Great car for your first drive as it was one of those vehicles which actually needed the recommended stopping distances shown in the Highway Code to come to a halt, also being tail heavy it taught you to respect Centrifugal force and bends.

me and the veedub2.jpg

Something some one on my intake at RAF locking found out,  he spun out on the 20mph roads on camp and went sideways through the goal post on the football pitch without hitting either one. 

Later he tried harder and rolled it on a straight section of the  M5 . whether he told his dad I never found out,  his dad being a senior copper in Glasgow.. 

• RMweb Premium

My first was a Mini 850 with a “Fibresports” clamshell hood/bonnet......KNO 107C......had to put the fibreglass hood on it as the front was so rusty when I bought it (£50) the headlamps were falling out, that was back in 1972........I also had a spare shell in a lock up which was an original 1959 Mini (PJ 1070 reg), the first Minis had thinner metal so making them lighter and better for racing.......and rotting away! :lol:

On the subject of number plates, personalised ones specifically, I’ve always understood the less = more £££... There is a plate around here I frequently spot on a Silver knackered Mk 1 Mercedes A Class...

‘X1’ originally valued in 2012 at £1M plus...insane.

• RMweb Premium

In my youth, all the Brighton fire engines had 999 as part of their registration numbers.

My dad once had an old car with the registration BSA 12. One day, a chap came over to talk about the car, which he remembered as being a company car for Birmingham Small Arms, they had BSA 1 through to BSA 18 IIRC. There was no mention of this in the registration log book which showed only its first private owner, so it was even older than the log book suggested.

My first car was 7268 PJ although from its age it should have been an 'A' registration.

anglia.jpg.644e448f864d3010b28b234bb0408371.jpg

• Like 1

21 hours ago, admiles said:

That's very interesting (punk rock correspondent Ed) - reputed Ipswich punk band The Adicts changed their name (briefly) to ADX in 1985 while they were signed to Sire Records.  I wonder who the registration anorak was in their ranks!

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, Ian Morgan said:

In my youth, all the Brighton fire engines had 999 as part of their registration numbers.

My dad once had an old car with the registration BSA 12. One day, a chap came over to talk about the car, which he remembered as being a company car for Birmingham Small Arms, they had BSA 1 through to BSA 18 IIRC. There was no mention of this in the registration log book which showed only its first private owner, so it was even older than the log book suggested.

My first car was 7268 PJ although from its age it should have been an 'A' registration.

anglia.jpg.644e448f864d3010b28b234bb0408371.jpg

Thinking about it, my Mini was "1070 PJ" not "PJ 1070" must be my age :lol: .........and on that note quite a few early registrations after 1963 when "A" was live were still using the old system up until 1965, not sure why.

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Bristol_Rich said:

On the subject of number plates, personalised ones specifically, I’ve always understood the less = more £££... There is a plate around here I frequently spot on a Silver knackered Mk 1 Mercedes A Class...

‘X1’ originally valued in 2012 at £1M plus...insane.

Apparently "X1" sold for £502,500 in 2012, so perhaps didn't reach it's "value", quite how you ascribe a value like that I don't know.

According to this the most expensive plate ever sold was "25 O" for £518k.

I think personalised plates are just a bit naff, couldn't comprehend spending that amount of money on one, I'd sooner just buy another hypercar for £500k!

My first was K480 FWC. A rather fetching 1993 baby blue 1.1l Fiesta. 

1 hour ago, 'CHARD said:

That's very interesting (punk rock correspondent Ed) - reputed Ipswich punk band The Adicts changed their name (briefly) to ADX in 1985 while they were signed to Sire Records.  I wonder who the registration anorak was in their ranks!

They never approached the Ipswich Transport Museum to pose with ADX 1, as far as I can remember....

Think the name change was to get away from the drug connotations of their original name.

Edited by Johann Marsbar

1 hour ago, Johann Marsbar said:

They never approached the Ipswich Transport Museum to pose with ADX 1, as far as I can remember....

Think the name change was to get away from the drug connotations of their original name.

Indeed it was, they were appearing on TV a fair amount and one condition of this promotional activity was to use a less provocative moniker!  Later on the near title track of their 5th studio album '27' was 7:27, after a supposed Ipswich - Liverpool Street service!

EDIT to add - first car BOA431A, a re-registered porcelain blue Morris Minor 

Edited by 'CHARD

• RMweb Premium

Somehow I've always fancied having a plate,  car but never had the time to build something suitable... 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, njee20 said:

I think personalised plates are just a bit naff, couldn't comprehend spending that amount of money on one, I'd sooner just buy another hypercar for £500k!

Agreed. It's easier to change your name by deed poll.

Yours truly, 

B295OPR

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

Do remember the celebrity numbers, Jimmy Tarbuck had a roller with COM 1 C as the reg, I also remember seeing an E type Jag in West Bay in Dorset with the reg FU 2, owned by a certain lass who used to write articles in a certain top shelf lads mag at the time lol.

Roger Moore had a roller with RM 1 on it, I bet he got a tidy sum for that when he sold it.

Edited by tigerburnie