Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

Class 92, By Accurascale

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, aeroplane said:

Will 92038 have a Crewe depot plaque please? It seemed to have one in Caledonian livery from 2015 to 2017

92038 - 1M11 - York

Would be great as an optional etch. Nevertheless could be procured on the aftermarket which I will certainly do if not included.

Fran just beat me to it!

Edited by E100
  • Thanks 1

On 06/07/2022 at 15:33, aeroplane said:

That weathering looks fantastic and the sun visor thingamajigs are wonderful

What will everyone be running their 92 with? As I am also getting some 37s, me 92s will be used to ferry my 37s up the main line so they can start their railtours. Behind the locos will be a mixed wagonload rake where anything goes!

There'll be at least one or two DB92s coming and going from Johnson Street IEMD once the layout build is finished and the plan is to take it to Stafford show. The DB92s as per current affairs will part of a mixed consist featuring DB90s and a 66 or 67 ? just like this:

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Am i right to surmise from other postings on other threads that there will be another production run of 92s in a couple of years time? I'm trying to decide whether to buy a second one now, or wait for a second run. Might the second run have one with EPS markings?  Too many unknowns!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nightstar.train said:

Am i right to surmise from other postings on other threads that there will be another production run of 92s in a couple of years time? I'm trying to decide whether to buy a second one now, or wait for a second run. Might the second run have one with EPS markings?  Too many unknowns!

I think you are right. From what AS have said they will do a run of Class 37, 55, 92, 31 and Manor every 18 to 36 months. I’d like one with the EPS logo on too. I ordered Ravel from Rails to get an SNCF version. Hopefully all major variants will get covered over the next few years 

• RMweb Premium

It'll obviously be produced to meet what they see is the demand. That being said currently there aren't many sold out on preorder and will be interesting to see how quickly the others are sold. If it takes a while then the second batch will likely take a fair bit longer than if they sell out overnight.

A separate question I have is, have any class 92's not in GBRF or Caledonian Sleeper livery hauled the mk5 stock?

On 06/07/2022 at 14:17, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

One of our decorated samples is starring in a new bookazine on detailing British Railway locos of the 1990s (Don't want to plug it too much as it's a rival publishing company and I don't fancy @AY Mod's boot up my ass)! 

They used it for a weathering and renumbering feature and very kindly sent me on pics of the final result to share. The excellent weathering was done by @James Makin of this parish. So, allow me to share (and remember it's a first sample, the finished models will be much improved in fit and finish).1658407026_Picture06Main.thumb.jpg.77b04733c95dc19387e0093be77ef371.jpg

486575634_Picture07Secondary.thumb.jpg.1600ac7f10c4d6c1f0af112b5a102422.jpg

1464879669_Picture08Grille.thumb.jpg.9e887ae67d35318cff9344810024b8f5.jpg

2085340553_Picture09Cab.thumb.jpg.20bc2e701bb234434a58123e5cf40e28.jpg

2125796941_Picture10Side.thumb.jpg.4d90b15ee24f14788d7022054d84037d.jpg

112175153_Picture11Roof.thumb.jpg.be96f8dfed78465a07866401f1184d4d.jpg

Cheers!

Fran 

That looks Stunning.  James Makin's an absolute Artist and has made something this good look even better! That weathering is sublime.

Cheers Accurascale for producing such an amazing model and James for doing it Justice!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, E100 said:

A separate question I have is, have any class 92's not in GBRF or Caledonian Sleeper livery hauled the mk5 stock?

They won’t ever in service, but could possibly for an empty stock move. The reason being that the Mk5s have a special uprated ETH system due to the demands of all the hotel services. So the 92s for the sleeper service have been modified and output 1000v (ISTR) instead of the standard 750v. They have a different plug so can’t accidentally be hooked up to 750v stock. 

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

1 hour ago, nightstar.train said:

They won’t ever in service, but could possibly for an empty stock move. The reason being that the Mk5s have a special uprated ETH system due to the demands of all the hotel services. So the 92s for the sleeper service have been modified and output 1000v (ISTR) instead of the standard 750v. They have a different plug so can’t accidentally be hooked up to 750v stock. 

There's also the Dellner couplers on the coaching stock to consider. Only the sleeper 92s and 73/9s have these, so one would have to be tucked inside as an adapter.

Jo

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Steadfast said:

There's also the Dellner couplers on the coaching stock to consider. Only the sleeper 92s and 73/9s have these, so one would have to be tucked inside as an adapter.

Jo

Good point, I’d forgotten that. Do the brake coaches not carry adapters though, for emergencies? The Dellner couplers have ended up a bit pointless. They were specified so as to stop shunters going on the tracks to hook everything up when they’re dividing and joining. But an autocoupler couldn’t cope with the ETH requirements. So now they have Dellners only doing the mechanical connection, and everything else is still connected the old fashioned way. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

6 hours ago, nightstar.train said:

Am I right in thinking (relevant here I think) that 92032 doesn't have the equipment to operate the sleepers?

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, TRAILRAGE said:

That looks Stunning.  James Makin's an absolute Artist and has made something this good look even better! That weathering is sublime.

Cheers Accurascale for producing such an amazing model and James for doing it Justice!

Haha you are too kind! 

I’ve tackled a lot of weathering jobs over the years but I must admit this one was a little daunting at the start of the project thinking that there aren’t many Accurascale 92s in the country so there was no Plan B if it all went pear-shaped 🤣

I must say hats off to the Accurascale gang, the model is incredible, there are even tiny etched brass grilles in some most obscure places across the roof and believe it or not, even the underframe, everything is just so crisp and beautifully modelled. 

I might be biased but I’d say that the 92 is even better than the awesome Deltic! 

Cheers,

James

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

I am surprised we don’t have a sub class of 92 for this purpose. We’ve had it for much lesser reasons in the past.

That is a very good point. Similarly, for the one's with 3rd rail shoes removed. They could always just add the sub class number in the third digit e.g. 92038 becomes 92138. It can then go back if effectively restored to original condition.

• RMweb Premium
On 24/07/2022 at 23:16, adb968008 said:

I am surprised we don’t have a sub class of 92 for this purpose. We’ve had it for much lesser reasons in the past.

Especially as the sleeper locos have had the ETH uprated as the Mk5s need so much power. I think it runs at 1000v rather than 750v. It has a different plug on the end so you can't connect it up to 750v stock by accident. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 16/07/2022 at 18:41, TomScrut said:

Am I right in thinking (relevant here I think) that 92032 doesn't have the equipment to operate the sleepers?

It is in the pool for sleeper locos. GBST - GB Railfreight Class 92, Caledonian Sleeper and Channel Tunnel. Contains 92010/18/28/32/38/43/44. But the only photos I've seen of it pulling a sleeper is in Mk2/3 days. I wonder if it has had the ETH uprating that the Mk5 stock needs? It doesn't have a Dellner, but that could be fitted as needed. So that rather muddies the waters for you. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 28/07/2022 at 14:41, nightstar.train said:

Especially as the sleeper locos have had the ETH uprated as the Mk5s need so much power. I think it runs at 1000v rather than 750v. It has a different plug on the end so you can't connect it up to 750v stock by accident. 

The eth on the sleeper 92s is set to 1500V.   

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Since we have body molded shots of these a while ago i take it these are the next to load in the pea green boat and so beat the 37 batches?

We're hoping for production samples in the next few weeks, and they should ship right after Class 37 Batch 1.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...