Kernow Model Rail Centre to open a brand new model railway shop in Guildford, Surrey

I wish any new model shop opining well, and I have used Kernow many a time, but as a mail order customer.

Knowing Guildford as I do, I am surprised at the choice of street. Good for the station,  it is true. I used to pass Guildford several times a year, by car, an would often stop there for a certain Italian restaurant,, but parking as well as access, was a nightmare.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Res Kowethas a'gas Dynerrgh

Which roughly translated means the Ford of the Guild (or association) welcomes you.

Pasties can be arranged; Philps are known to be a favourite of the Kernow MRC team and they deliver most days to English mainland addresses.  All you need do is warm them yourself which of course would fill the shop with the delicious (to many) aroma of true Cornish pasties.

I agree with the comment above that landing firmly in "4-Cor territory" is as good an excuse as any to begin work on a new commission.  Scanning of 3142 can easily be arranged, initially via PM ......... ;)

Some visits after work are predicted as Clapham Junction to London Road Guildford is an easy run with four trains an hour.  Those visits will be in addition to, not instead of, trips "home" to the Camborne premises on my regular visits to friends in places west of Truro.

Best wishes to Chris and his team for this new and significant venture.  It isn't every day - nor even every year - that a new shop opens let alone one managed by arguably the best family-run traditional retailer in our hobby today.  

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

On 09/03/2019 at 11:42, gwrrob said:

Shame they couldn't have relocated to the West Midlands.;)

On 09/03/2019 at 11:51, Andy Y said:

Somewhere WSW of Bham by any chance? That would have been nice. 

Anywhere within a 25 mile radius of Brum on a rail route would be good, but I have to say I am happy with Mike and Steve at Topp Trains in Stafford.  They take a bit of beating. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

As soon as they pop up in Guildford, i’ll make an effort to get across, at a 2 hour round trip (1 hour / 25 miles each way) they just became my closest practical model shop, assuming they have parking. 

Whilst janes in tooting (5 miles) and Ian Allan at Waterloo (15 miles) are closer, logistically (practical by rail or bus only) they are much slower to get to.

Hopefully Kernow will consider a second Surrey location, towards the higher end of the LBSC Mainline closer to a zone 6 major junction some day too. :-)

its nice to see a new shop open in the south east.

Whenever I'm in Cornwall, I make a point of visiting Kernow, and usually end up spending far more than planned. This new branch is just down the line for me. While it's great news and I'll certainly be popping down, my bank manager just felt a great disturbance in the Force.

• Like 1

On 09/03/2019 at 13:58, friscopete said:

You dont get much either .My daughters house  about 20 miles from Guildford  is  well over 500,000 and is not much much bigger than a postage stamp.She longs to move back to Norfolk and buy a mansion house with a few acres ,room for a pony and a karting track  .....Ha ha

Not helped by the rich and famous who live in the area pushing prices up. My wife's friend lives a short distance away and has Eric Clapton as a neighbour.

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Premium

I know his house well (assuming he's not moved in the last 5 years!), nice cycling around there!

I'm really pleased about this, I do agree that Stoke Road isn't the easiest Guildford location to get to, but it's not that bad, you can park on the residential streets nearby usually. I remember when Roxley Models was near Cranleigh (when I lived there), always seemed a bit odd, never been into the Bookham shop.

• RMweb Gold
On 10/03/2019 at 23:17, adb968008 said:

As soon as they pop up in Guildford, i’ll make an effort to get across, at a 2 hour round trip (1 hour / 25 miles each way) they just became my closest practical model shop, assuming they have parking. 

Whilst janes in tooting (5 miles) and Ian Allan at Waterloo (15 miles) are closer, logistically (practical by rail or bus only) they are much slower to get to.

Hopefully Kernow will consider a second Surrey location, towards the higher end of the LBSC Mainline closer to a zone 6 major junction some day too. :-)

its nice to see a new shop open in the south east.

I think that Croydon would have been a better option than Guildford.

• RMweb Premium

So will this new shop make them eligible for Bachmann Rep limited editions for the South East area as well as the South West/Cornwall?

I hope they do well. My first job was in Guildford and I passed my driving test there, so know the town well. The shop site is easily walkable from both stations and the town centre and there's plenty for partners to do while you visit the shop.

And if Kernow or Alton MRC don't have what you're after, there a direct bus between the two.

1 hour ago, brushman47544 said:

So will this new shop make them eligible for Bachmann Rep limited editions for the South East area as well as the South West/Cornwall?

.......... not to mention their 'Own Brand' products - maybe we'll get a 'Dancehall' to accompany the 'Roadvan' ..... or a D1M pulling and pushing a pair of rebuilt 'Chatham' railmotors ....................................................

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I think that Croydon would have been a better option than Guildford.

Really? Far less affluent. I would certainly disagree with that. 

I’ll certainly be making a visit when they open — first of many I don’t doubt. Never thought I’d live in touching distance of one of the ‘big’ retailers, especially not by them coming to me rather than the other way round!

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, njee20 said:

Really? Far less affluent. I would certainly disagree with that. 

Croydon itself, yes, less affluent. But easily accessible from a wide range of affluent places and a far bigger demographic generally - probably 1M plus within a 10km radius.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Paul.Uni said:

Yes

The two models you cite have both been on release for some time, and Kernow MRC arranges swops of limited editions with retailers in other areas (some KMRC L/E are on sale elsewhere), and I suspect these two are as a result of that. I think we need to see whether Kernow receives South East area limited editions when they are first released.

I am sure British Railways missed a trick when they failed to name a Class 42/3 'Troutbridge' but maybe its ability to ram Ryde Pier would explain the blunder!   Maybe Chris opening his new branch in Guildford will result in limited editions from around that area being added to his projects.

• Like 2
  • Funny 2