Message to EU customers re Brexit

Mike Harvey

Attached is the text of a message from Hornby Hobbies France to their EU clients. Roughly translated it says:- 

“Dear customers

Following the June 2016 referendum the UK must leave the EU on 29 March.

Whilst negotiations continue, if the parties do not reach an agreement then deliveries to the EU will be disrupted.

We strongly recommend our clients to place their orders before 29 March to minimise the risks.

Hornby Hobbies will continue to monitor matters closely and will publish further information when negotiations are concluded.

Rest assured that we will do what is necessary to ensure that deliveries are not disrupted, and that you do not encounter customs problems. We hope to minimise the impact as much as possible.

Yours sincerely etc.”

Unfortunately the French retailer that published it in an email to retail customers has chosen to interpret it as a serious risk to supplies and probable large price increases, so they are having a sale !  I read the message as a form of calm preparation.

Brexit Hornby.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if the different interpretation made by the French retailer has something to do with a different general perception of the situation in France. We get both pro and anti viewpoints in  the UK but very much from a UK perspective.

• Agree 3

The translation put up by Mike Harvey seems to be the correct translation - but who is having a Brexit sale then? An enquiring mind should like to know.

None of this is going to stop me ordering direct from the UK - for the time being.

Cheers,

Philip

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I can remember the good (?) old days when all you needed to do was fill in a Customs Declaration form for the Customs folk to look at and say, yay, nay, or it'll cost whatever.  And I can remember lorries carrying TIR plates.  I increasingly get the impression that politicians and bureaucrats are incredibly skilled at turning molehills into near unassailable mountains and frightening business with this amazing threat of an unmanageable world.

My son is returning this evening from one of his regular weeks of working in Switzerland instead of the office in England where he normally works.  His (Swiss) employers  are now in the process of arranging a Swiss Work Permit for him so he can continue to work there occasionally 'once things have changed'.  If they can think ahead it beats me why many concerns seem to be unable to do so.

(PS I know Switzerland is not in the EU but it is part of the single market and is effectively treated as a member of the EEA - thus working there could well be affected when we leave the EU.)

• Like 5
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On ‎15‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 18:48, D9020 Nimbus said:

Surprised that Hornby France don't import their requirements directly from China...

Probably something to do with efficient sales/ordering volumes.

A 40ft shipping container will take between 25000 and 30000  141R locomotives or similar.

Hornby as a group can probably order 5000 141Rs, 5000 Merchant Navys, Some RENFE AVE sets, Track components, Skaledale buildings, and some coaches for their Rivarossi brand and thus make good use of their shipping costs.

• Like 1

'think we can live with a bit of temporary disruption with our toy trains.  Spare a thought for those people around the world who are worrying about where their next meal is coming from.'

Yes and those people who have lost their jobs or closed their business's

Edited by Marcoblanco
Quote include
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, col.stephens said:

I think we can live with a bit of temporary disruption with our toy trains.  Spare a thought for those people around the world who are worrying about where their next meal is coming from.

I haven't forgotten those others who are less fortunate, but that wasn't the topic under discussion.

I work with those on low incomes where a few pence increase on this product and on that makes a real difference. To severely mis-quote Brecht "you can't eat sovereignty, you can't wrap yourself in sovereignty when you are cold, sovereignty doesn't stop the rain coming through the roof" and you can't inject sovereignty when there is no insulin.

Dark days for a once significant nation.

Luke

• Like 4
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 1

@Luke,

Meh! Just had a quick look at a sample of stock at Pierredominique's UK equivalent (they being the French 'box-shifter'), still cheaper to buy in the UK, pay postage AND have change. Pity, as they have all the Colletts in stock.

It's a bit of an excuse to get rid of stock IMHO.

Thanks for the link anyway,

Cheers,

Philip

• RMweb Gold
On 15/03/2019 at 19:11, The Stationmaster said:

His (Swiss) employers  are now in the process of arranging a Swiss Work Permit for him so he can continue to work there occasionally 'once things have changed'.  If they can think ahead it beats me why many concerns seem to be unable to do so.

(PS I know Switzerland is not in the EU but it is part of the single market and is effectively treated as a member of the EEA - thus working there could well be affected when we leave the EU.)

Hi Mike,

But isn't that the point?  The Swiss are in the single market.  At this point - and with barely a fortnight to go - we have no idea where we are going to be..

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Ben A said:

.....  At this point - and with barely a fortnight to go - we have no idea where we are going to be.....

I'm having to exercise massive restraint in not offering my opinion on this point. However I reckon I'm on pretty safe ground offering the view that this won't be the only time we see some impact in our world of model railways.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Interestingly, there is a debate about this on a German model railway forum, in particular, by how much Brexit  would affect the price of Peco track, which is much cheaper over there than that produced by local firms. I've forgotten what little German I knew, so used Google translate, so take what follows as approximation of the various posts. Basically, the consensus of opinion was that any tarrifs the EU added to British goods would be more or less cancelled out by the fact that VAT would not be charged. Whether this is what will happen or not, is open to dispute - not even Theresa May knows!

As an afterthought, I do appreciate Neil exercising restraint and I shall forego inflicting my opinions (well, rants!) on the subject as a result. Let us not sully our hobby with such unimportant nonsense as politics, fake news etc. 

David C

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Imports to the EU can be sold VAT free if the seller is VAT registered, but VAT should (and in my experience generally is) be applied on delivery - plus a frequently high handling chare by the company doing the VAT collection.   If there is a transition period then this comes into effect at the end of the transition.

Toys (unlike cars and car part or many food stuffs) are duty free in the UK and the EU so no additional charges will be created on departure.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

15 hours ago, col.stephens said:

I think we can live with a bit of temporary disruption with our toy trains.  Spare a thought for those people around the world who are worrying about where their next meal is coming from.

But the disruption was completely unnecessary.

A poorer world caused by increased tariff barriers isn't going to help those who have to worry about their next meal at all, nor is a poorer Britain. 

In the USA Peco's track seems to be regarded as a premium product, more expensive than other brands but of notably high quality. I'm not sure how much that will hold against some of Roco and other's track products in the European market. I thought you did have to pay VAT - as well as duty- on imported goods. Peco itself must be far and away the most successful British exporter of model railway products actually manufactured in Britain but worth remembering that long before we were in the EEC Meccano Ltd. found it more advantageous to manufacture their products for the French market (Hornby Acho and Meccano) in a factory there. As a  private family-owned firm Peco may well be more loyal to its country of origin than a PLC concerned only with shareholder value. I sincerely hope it can stay and grow in Seaton but how sustainable that will be is anyone's guess.

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Agree 3

There is a sort of panic within companies at the moment. With lots saying buy quick before BREXIT and others more concerned about delays and disruptions in supplies (quoting the customs strike in France as an example of what is to come).

I'm not sure if the "buy quick" is real market concern or a sales ploy. Probably a bit of both.

In anycase, I cannot exactly "buy quick" anything that has yet to be released!

Historically "Stability" has never really existed. The world moves from one crisis to the next. Companies which adapt will survive, those which don't will die. There seems to be an impression that things were better in the past. Certain things yes, but other things were worse. There are advantages and disadvantages to any political/world situation and we and business need to adapt to it.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, John M Upton said:

Of course it would help if we knew when Brexit day actually was.  Nobody, not even the Government it seems knows!

Next week as its written in  an Act of Parliament ( European Union (Withdrawal) Act 2018)  that we will leave unless a Minister of the Crown amends it . What the whole farce has shown is how incapable MPs are understanding legislation and what has been said - the Speaker clearly stated last week he would seek advice on a 3rd vote.

Edited by Butler Henderson
Source for initial info questionable
  • Agree 1