Bachmann 009 Quarry Hunslet

Phil Parker

• RMweb Gold

Piicked one up at Warley. Mine was initially hesitant over Settrack points and somewhat jerky, but after a bit of a thrash around the circuit, it quickly settled down to being slow, smooth and very reluctant to stall. It certainly is a stunner of a model and one of the most charming loco releases I've seen.

12 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

Piicked one up at Warley. Mine was initially hesitant over Settrack points and somewhat jerky, but after a bit of a thrash around the circuit, it quickly settled down to being slow, smooth and very reluctant to stall. It certainly is a stunner of a model and one of the most charming loco releases I've seen.

Thanks Barry. I'm always interested to hear how new locos actually run rather than how perfectly formed they are. Seems like this achieves both which is excellent news.

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 23/11/2022 at 09:31, happyChappy said:

Good to see the excellent quality of the chassis with decent wheel bearings and fitted flywheel. As there must now be a fair number of these locos actually out there would anyone care to comment on their slow-running capabilities? There seem to be a few possible wheel quartering issues with the new large Hunslets so I'm wondering if these quarry Hunslets are similarly affected?

Slow reply sorry but yes it runs very well now. I say now, as I did have to clean the contacts and make sure they were all touching the wheels. I've had to do this on the last 2 double fairlie I've bought aswell. Haven't heard anyone else complain of the same, so it could just be a me problem.

Thanks for both the above replies. Although all my current locos are diesel I'm so tempted by such a cute loco. Good running characteristics are an extra encouragement. Slight problem is my MOD-based layout has absolutely no steam facilities and, in any case, steam locos and explosives storage aren't a good mix!

My Britomart arrived today. Absolutely stunning. The level of detail is incredible. Took longer to get the box open more than anything. Very pleased with it.

Gave it a quick run on a spare piece of track. As some have mentioned it also has a slight tight spot. More noticeable in a slow crawl and more in reverse. It does lift a wheel slightly at this point. I thought it was something on the track. A small drop of oil on the motion has improved things. It runs quite smoothly with the knob at the 3 o'clock position on my H&M2000. I will chip it and run around on the layout over the weekend. 

Looking forward to Alice arriving. 

• RMweb Premium

I picked up Britomart at Warley, and have only just had a proper chance to run it. Unfortunately my one is very stuttery at low speed, even after a good thrash around the test loop. Frequently stalls with the controller on 30% power. Can others who've had one comment on if I should try and fix this myself, or should I return it? Luckily I've kept the receipt! Quite disappointed TBH, doesn't run nearly as well as my Fairlie, or my Liliput O&K diesel. 

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, nightstar.train said:

I picked up Britomart at Warley, and have only just had a proper chance to run it. Unfortunately my one is very stuttery at low speed, even after a good thrash around the test loop. Frequently stalls with the controller on 30% power. Can others who've had one comment on if I should try and fix this myself, or should I return it? Luckily I've kept the receipt! Quite disappointed TBH, doesn't run nearly as well as my Fairlie, or my Liliput O&K diesel. 

I read elsewhere that a persons Britomart didn't have all the pick ups touching the wheels but i'm not sure that would cause that much stuttering.

Personally I think i'd return it.

A shame as most people are saying how good they are.

11 hours ago, nightstar.train said:

The first one I purchased was jumpy and was returned to the retailer, the replacement one less so, particularly once run in for the recommended amount of time. I think the issue may be due to the slightly  imperfect quartering of the outside cranks on some models.

Strangely once it was fitted with the appropriate Bachmann (Zimo produced) decoder and running on DCC, the performance was transformed, and it now will come down to a slow crawl suitable for shunting. I suspect this may be due to decoder BEMF micro-managing the power requirements to maintain a constant speed.

Edited by vaughan45
  • Informative/Useful 2

I also purchased a Britomart which had a tight spot that did not improve after 2 hours of running in. I exchanged it for another one (I can't recall ever having to return a model before) and it was better, but still seems to occasionally have the same issue (at the same point of rotation as well). I do hope a decoder will improve running, but generally a loco should not have to rely on one for acceptable running. I can't find the Zimo decoder in stock anywhere (I gather the Bachmann one is the same, but at a higher price) so the jury is still out on this.

I appreciate these are small locomotives, but my expectations are high after seeing how my Bachmann N gauge Percy performs which is a similar size. I am now hesitant about the new Penrhyn Hunslets, as videos online also show mixed running qualities, which is a shame as I'd really like the tender versions when they inevitably happen.

Having looked at the outside cranks with a magnifying glass I think the axle is splined. Which is what I would have expected rather than a push fit. It does mean that trying to tweak the quartering at home is a non starter.

Mine is much better having been run in.

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Hiesler said:

I appreciate these are small locomotives, but my expectations are high after seeing how my Bachmann N gauge Percy performs which is a similar size. I am now hesitant about the new Penrhyn Hunslets, as videos online also show mixed running qualities, which is a shame as I'd really like the tender versions when they inevitably happen.

Based on the two I have, the running of these was ok 'out of the box' and slow speed running is good now they are both run in. Both were purchased from shops rather than by mail order, so the performance at all speeds could be tested before leaving. However, I appreciate that is not easy where there is no 'local' model shop.

Edited by vaughan45

16 hours ago, nightstar.train said:

My one was a bit like that but I just opened up a rear pickup with  the flat of a a scalpel blade poked behind to just push it out a tad and all is now perfect .

• Like 1

Mine’s had no problems with pickups, it’s the tight spot when travelling chimney first that’s the problem with mine. Despite running in and a bit of lubrication it’s not getting any better and as it’s by far the worst performer in my fleet I’m going to see about getting it changed.

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

Mine’s had no problems with pickups, it’s the tight spot when travelling chimney first that’s the problem with mine. Despite running in and a bit of lubrication it’s not getting any better and as it’s by far the worst performer in my fleet I’m going to see about getting it changed.

Its probably quartering my bigger Hunslet Blanche has had to go back for that. When it’s correct they are very sweet runners 👍

• Agree 1

Got my Britomart in Friday. Given it's a Christmas present, figured it would be wise to inspect it and give it a test just in case. Sadly, Noticed a glue stain on the tank, the funnel was loose and not seated fully in the base so sat at a noticeable angle and with a noticeable gap between the base and funnel. And the left hand cylinder was glued slightly wonky, so it pointed inward and this then brought the crosshead awfully close to the crankpin. Running was a bit lumpy and there was definitely a sort of rubbing-friction noise that while not horrible, was, again, noticeable. 
I mean as far as quality control slips, it could be far far worse lol. But I have decided to return the model and ship it back for a replacement Britomart, as I do still want the engine. In spite of the example I got, I still think it is a lovely little model and I'm looking forward to my replacement one, even if I probably won't get it in time for Christmas at this rate.

• Friendly/supportive 5

Finally got around to chipping my Britomart today. Its not exactly clear which way up the Bachmann chip goes, but second time lucky. 

It wouldn't run. A quarter turn and stop. Give it a nudge same again. Even increasing the power had no affect. I spent ages checking the pick up, took the motor out to check for tight spots in the motion. Nothing obvious until I changed the start voltage CV setting and it took off like a Smokey Joe! I've tweaked the start voltage and acceleration settings. It's alot better. With the body shell off I was limping in reverse, lifting a wheel set. But once the body shell was back on it ran almost perfectly. Still a bit tight, but crawls along much better now. I will hone the settings once it's had another good run.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, figworthy said:

A quick question if I may.  Could some kind soul have a quick measure up and let me know how high Britomart is above the rail head.

Thanks

Adrian

35mm on a flat surface. 🙂 39mm when sat on Peco track. 

Edited by Derails Models
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1