Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Bachmann 009 Quarry Hunslet

Phil Parker

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, LNERandBR said:

Rails reporting that Nesta and Dorothea are on their way shortly. 

I spoke to them earlier to confirm the existence of my sound fitted Charles and they said early in the new year for Nesta and Dorothea, my two quarry locos.

• Informative/Useful 1

19 minutes ago, CotBob said:

I spoke to them earlier to confirm the existence of my sound fitted Charles and they said early in the new year for Nesta and Dorothea, my two quarry locos.

Is that before or after they put the post on their website? If it was before then the status could have changed, it seems things are altering very quickly. 

Sound fitted Charles isn't even shown as arrived on Bachmann's website yet retailers now have it in stock for example. 🥴

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, LNERandBR said:

Is that before or after they put the post on their website? If it was before then the status could have changed, it seems things are altering very quickly. 

Sound fitted Charles isn't even shown as arrived on Bachmann's website yet retailers now have it in stock for example. 🥴

I spoke to them after the website update, but from what Sawyer Models said later that may have changed, or been hedging so as not to disappoint. My bank is looking shaky just now!

49 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Is there an alternative that Alice could be renamed to? I pre-ordered 2 with the intention of keeping one as Alice and doing something with the second.

I think each hunslet ended up being almost unique on different details so might be harder than first thought.

I think it can be renamed fairly accurately as 'Holy War'. That's my intention anyway.

Alice, Hunslet works no. 780 – Bala Lake Railway (bala-lake-railway.co.uk)

Holy War, Hunslet works no. 779 – Bala Lake Railway (bala-lake-railway.co.uk)

Although not sure Holy War was red from the photos on those links as it could be faded black or very heavily weather red.

1 hour ago, big jim said:

Weren’t all dinorwic quarry Hunslet red/maroon while in the quarry, getting different liveries once moved into preservation? 

That's what I've read yes that Dinorwic ones were red. It's just the colour images I've found make it hard to tell with Holy War. My gut feeling looking at the photos is it's just very heavily weathered. 

4 hours ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Is there an alternative that Alice could be renamed to? I pre-ordered 2 with the intention of keeping one as Alice and doing something with the second.

I think each hunslet ended up being almost unique on different details so might be harder than first thought.

How much work do you want to do, how much detail do you need and what period? It's not technically even correct for Alice as it is*...

As to colour Holy War was the same red as the rest, they tended to go brown with age excpet where oil leaked from the lubricators across the tank fronts turning them black. Holy war must have been cleaned with oil rigourously as it ended up an all over aubergine as it wore on. 

* Going on photos so far, I have yet to see an actual one as delivered to a customer so the incorrect bits might now be correct

Edited by Quarryscapes
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

I was talking tonight to someone who had ordered Alice with the intention of converting it to Rough Pup, as he works in Tywyn he has access to the original to build from.  Within reason most of the domeless locos could be made from it.  Though there were frame differences with later ones like Alice as modelled there and Rough Pup to a casual observer they are not too different.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, CotBob said:

I was talking tonight to someone who had ordered Alice with the intention of converting it to Rough Pup, as he works in Tywyn he has access to the original to build from.  Within reason most of the domeless locos could be made from it.  Though there were frame differences with later ones like Alice as modelled there and Rough Pup to a casual observer they are not too different.

Frames need changing, needs free standing brake column and rearrangement of reverser and rods, lose drain cocks, lose tank rivets, add sanding rod bracket LHS and rivets on tank for injector rod bracket. For as built needs all the above plus tank mounted injectors, brackets and sandpots as well.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Quarryscapes said:

Frames need changing, needs free standing brake column and rearrangement of reverser and rods, lose drain cocks, lose tank rivets, add sanding rod bracket LHS and rivets on tank for injector rod bracket. For as built needs all the above plus tank mounted injectors, brackets and sandpots as well.

You are correct, though some of those will be hard to notice.  For many name and works plates would be enough, not accurate, I grant you, but good enough for many people.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

My Bachmann micro 6 pin decoders haven’t arrived yet so I thought I would see if the slightly larger Dapol imperium Micro 6 pin (as I had one) would fit in Britomart.   It does though a piece of Kapton tape was needed between the upper decoder surface and body. 

Edited by Tony_S
added bold to micro. I think the bigger 6 pin wouldn’t fit.

• RMweb Gold

All Quarry Hunslets are in stock at Lord & Butler, Cardiff and selling well. 

I may or may not have had a slight financial incident involving Nesta.........

Rob

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Well ‘Alice’ is a thing of beauty!

33664750-2292-457E-91F3-4C4AEBACE064.jpeg.0bb5b4c149c01714ebf86af51b8689e6.jpeg

547FE8C9-DA63-457B-839A-5F6CCCD2C6F5.jpeg.ed69805f2c9710ef5e737bc1abf00e1b.jpeg

2504830C-39AD-4012-A066-7EF9BD35D5A6.jpeg.6e92e2d94ba99600b87997395fda51b0.jpeg

runs well with the Bachmann chip in it, I think it may be binding slightly every now and again when starting up as it stalls and a slight jiggle cures it but it doesn’t happen every time, and I’ve not run it in properly, hopefully leaving it on the rollers for a bit will make a difference 

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, CotBob said:

Could this lead to new Chronicles?

Oh, most definately !!

Not idea how it will look yet, mind you. 

Rob. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Oh, most definately !!

Not idea how it will look yet, mind you. 

Rob. 

I have been heavily influenced by a series of images and posts on Facebook like this:

This is the type layout I will be building, once I have finished paying for all the locos I have on order this Christmas.

319843086_3371103979844277_6014773553083787854_n.jpg

Edited by CotBob
Just adding a bit
  • Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 17/12/2022 at 13:00, CotBob said:

You are correct, though some of those will be hard to notice.  For many name and works plates would be enough, not accurate, I grant you, but good enough for many people.

I know and my inner rivet counter is howling in pain at the thought! 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Quarryscapes said:

I know and my inner rivet counter is howling in pain at the thought! 

I am most sorry for having done that to you ,no inner pain was intended with my post ;-)

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1