Bachmann 009 Quarry Hunslet

Phil Parker

• RMweb Premium

Both Nesta and Alice arrived today and thankfully both are fine after running in. Initially Nesta ran for about 5 mins, then went lumpy, had a nudge, got moving again and ran smooth as silk for the rest of the running in session. Alice was slightly hesitant to start but again with a tiny nudge she set off and ran also smooth as silk. Both are superbly quiet and absolute little works of art! Top work Bachmann!

I hope all those having problems with their ones get it sorted quickly so they can begin enjoying them, and then bring on the raft of slate quarry layouts!! 😉

Edited by Obsidian Quarry
  • Like 4

I have both an Alice and Nesta and have had the opportunity to test the for the first time today.

Both have been run in on a rolling road for the recommended 30 -45 minutes and a bit more , however, both are slow to start or need a nudge when they do at slow  to medium speed they both 'pulsate' or jerky along the track (like there isn't sufficient enough power to turn the flywheel) turning up the power up  they run quite smoothly but too fast!

I'm using a cheapo Hornby controller, before I return them could controller  be the issue or is further running in required or return them?

It just seems strange they both react the same way at the slower speed but ok at a higher non-realistic speed 

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, 70E said:

I have both an Alice and Nesta and have had the opportunity to test the for the first time today.

Both have been run in on a rolling road for the recommended 30 -45 minutes and a bit more , however, both are slow to start or need a nudge when they do at slow  to medium speed they both 'pulsate' or jerky along the track (like there isn't sufficient enough power to turn the flywheel) turning up the power up  they run quite smoothly but too fast!

I'm using a cheapo Hornby controller, before I return them could controller  be the issue or is further running in required or return them?

It just seems strange they both react the same way at the slower speed but ok at a higher non-realistic speed 

It could be the controller. There have been reports on the Hornby TT:120 thread of noisy running using the Hornby controller, but using something else like a Gaugemaster contoller transformed the running.

I would suggest trying them on a 9V battery, that is what I usually use to run in 009 or modern N gauge mechanisms.  If that cures the problem, it proves the cheap controller is the issue.

Edited by Moxy
Spelling mistake

My Dorothea arrived earlier this week after being stuck in the post. Only having around 3ft of straight track to try her on there was a noticeable limp at low speeds when running forwards.

However, running in is highly recommended as I took her to my local club last night and she spent most of the evening doing laps of the room on our test track. 30 mins in each direction before I hooked up a short rake of slate wagons. Very pleased to say that the running in has cured the slight tight spot and she's now very happy at low speeds.

Looking forward to Nesta arriving as she's also somewhere in the postal system atm. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Alice has gone back to trident trains, Richard offered to swap it but I said just send it back, no rush for it, picked up Charles while I was there so I’m hoping that runs ok when I get it home, it has been tested in the shop so should be ok  but saying that Alice was also tested but got progressively worse over time 

• Friendly/supportive 1

My Alice arrived from Cheltenham Model Centre. She is a little jewel! Have to say 'well done Bachmann'.

Running wise, she is smooth and responsive straight out of the box. So bearing in mind other posts on here, I think I must be one of the lucky ones!

All she needs now is a decently modelled crew to fill the open cab.

All 3 remaining small hunslets are now here. Haven't run any of them yet, or the big one, but they have all been tested by Derails so I hope it will all be good when the time comes. They all look to be quartered correctly at least. Still pontificating about which locomotive to convert Alice into. Possibly Holy War as I have a tenuous connection: https://museum.wales/collections/online/object/47ab9147-a87a-3688-926b-a166eaefff06/Locomotive-photograph/?field0=string&value0=dinorwig&field1=with_images&value1=1&field2=string&value2=holy war&index=3 This man's son was my IT teacher in secondary school, and his son in turn was my brother's best friend. 

Sadly all three of mine are a bit 'lumpy' with tight spots at very slow speeds, however all three do start fine and run smoothly once at speed.
They're currently all chasing each other around my test track in the hope that a bit of running-in might free them up..
Alice is the fastest of the three, followed by Britomart and then Dorothea.

Edited by LittleRedTrain
  • Like 1

My Alice was a great runner for a couple of hours and now one wheelset is only intermittently picking up. I will return it to Rails for something else. It's such a shame but seems like a fault that a lot are suffering from. I can't fault the looks of the loco but such a shame the pick-ups don't seem reliable. I was really impressed with the Baldwin and Fairlie so this is surprising. Having said that, another recently purchased Bachmann loco (Bachmann Farish this time) had some pick-up issues. This one was a sound fitted 08. That one was much worse though and hardly had any contacts working. This was returned for a refund as well as I didn't want to have to mess with a brand new loco at that price point.

Now I think about it, a while back I had to have a second sound fitted Farish 8F as the first had clicking valve gear problems. The replacement was stunning and ran like a dream

One more disappointment from them recently was a couple of sets of OO driver and fireman figures which looked like they had been painted in a paint-with-a-blindfold-on competition in the factory. Pictured below to give you all a good laugh are two of the poor creatures.

Let's hope these are all one-offs!

Cheers,

Ian.

bach.jpg

bach2.jpg

Edited by Elvinley

• RMweb Gold

I'll add my Nesta to the growing list of returnees. 

I've perservered with running the little chapette in but there is no sign of improvement. Forwards is pretty much there but a bit lumpy on slowing. However, when in reverse, it will just stall as you slow down. 

It's sadly not good enough. 

Rob. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

My Alice got worse as it ran in. I wonder with thin rods it maybe susceptible to wear and being such a short wheelbase tolerances are critical.  My mainline Hunslets have more play in the rods. I can see the hole in the rods behind the head of the crankpin as it moves. But being that bit longer it runs just fine.

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, didcot said:

My Alice got worse as it ran in. I wonder with thin rods it maybe susceptible to wear

38 minutes ago, big jim said:

that’s what I found with mine too, hopefully it can be repaired by Bachmann easily enough 

14 hours ago, Elvinley said:

My Alice was a great runner for a couple of hours and now one wheelset is only intermittently picking up. I will return it t

I wonder if these that get worse are the pickups or not enough threadlock on the cranks and they’re slipping out of quarter. 
From experience with various manufacturers locos I’m wary of these flat stamped pickups and pretty sure stamping a slight curve into the ‘fingers’ would solve the pickup issue. I knew from college days that forming 90° bends  effectively destroys the spring in metal at that point so it is something several makers need to think of. Thing is it’s easy to fix too. 
The stiffness is another issue though and maybe a return to the gear issues some of their US range suffered from as they cracked due to the interference fit being too tight or the quartering moving out. 
Certainly a good one runs extremely well though so I’ll persist with my two out of three problem locos! 

• RMweb Gold

Evening all, 

This morning, I spoke with Bachmann. I outlined the issues I've had with my Quarry Hunslet and mentioned that others were having the same issues regarding slow speed running etc. 

I'm told that currently, Bachmann are not aware of the issues as outlined on this forum. 

The chap I was speaking to was excellent. He could not have been more helpful or considerate and was keen to establish the scope of the potential issue. 

Simply put, he echoed my earlier post suggesting that Bachmann need to know and that the information I had passed would be forwarded to the R&D team.

I would therefore suggest an email goes to Bachmann customer service from anyone who has experienced issues with their quarry hunslets. 

However, be mindful that the service department themselves are back in on the 9th. 

customer.services@Bachmann-europe.co.uk

Just outline the issues you've experienced, date purchased and if it was returned to the retailer etc. Please be objective and factual, no matter how frustrated you may feel. Try to avoid speculating on probable cause. 

Rob. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

I'm told that currently, Bachmann are not aware of the issues as outlined on this forum. 

They must be as two have gone back from me and the shop has to get a return label from Bachmann. The Rep saw the first one and their customer service asked if the second one had been run in. Unfortunately modern policy is to not acknowledge faults directly as it can have legal implications but as at least one person here has had his back already with a new front axle they are aware 😉

I agree completely that a measured letter is appropriate as these are just ones that got through the qc random selection. 

26 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Try to avoid speculating on probable cause. 

Certainly on the small tanks the pickups are one issue for the stuttering running as Nesta only had two touching the wheels on mine and it’s run well since the pickups were sorted so hopefully they will ‘pick’ that up too. 

My two went back accompanied by the link to the video and exactly what was wrong with them in terms of performance and that was confirmed in conversation with them by the shop. 

I’m currently patiently waiting for them expected to be returned” in a few weeks”

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul, 

There could well be others in the organisation aware but not everyone is back at the office so to speak. 

As you have done, first port of call is with the retailer from whom it was purchased ( pretty easy in my case) but in addition, an email to Bachmann will assist them in building up an overall picture. 

Rob

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Evening all, 

I've spoken to the service department today and discussed the issues I'm having with my example of Nesta. 

As a result and as arranged, I shall be posting mine back to Bachmann for repair under warranty. 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Hmmm!

I’ve got two of these on order, with DCC chips to be fitted, hopefully arriving next week.

They are part of my first return to modelling after about 30 years( indeed they are the reason I decided to get back into it )

I may not have anything to run them on for a while and even then it will just be a short straight.

Whatdo you think I should do about the locos, when they come ?

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, Rob K said:

Hmmm!

I’ve got two of these on order, with DCC chips to be fitted, hopefully arriving next week.

They are part of my first return to modelling after about 30 years( indeed they are the reason I decided to get back into it )

I may not have anything to run them on for a while and even then it will just be a short straight.

Whatdo you think I should do about the locos, when they come ?

Either a rolling road or get a circle or oval of track. Most 009 locos will happily do 9 inch radius curves, so a circle of track (18 inches wide) can easily be setup on the kitchen table.