Bachmann 009 Quarry Hunslet

Phil Parker

by happy coincidence my two locos arrived today  with an NCE powercab, and I picked up my starter pack of Peco settrack to make a test oval

I am currently running in Nesta...looks lovely.

Here's my question;how is it best to store these when not in use ? Putting them back in the hard plastic box doesn't seem very smart

• RMweb Gold
On 18/02/2023 at 15:47, Rob K said:

by happy coincidence my two locos arrived today  with an NCE powercab, and I picked up my starter pack of Peco settrack to make a test oval

I am currently running in Nesta...looks lovely.

Here's my question;how is it best to store these when not in use ? Putting them back in the hard plastic box doesn't seem very smart

My main struggle is stopping the cats try to catch them when running, they loose interest once the locos stop. Sorry not too helpful I know.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Worsdell forever said:

Fiddly, but worth it in the end.

Couple of questions:

1. Is the speaker on the cab floor between the crew figures?

2. How is this even possible?!

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Worsdell forever said:

Fiddly, but worth it in the end.

Very nicely done Paul, do you have any in progress pics? I’m not averse to fiddly but clues as to where best to drill any holes etc are always welcome. Are the stay alive caps on a separate board or squeezed in with separate resistors?

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

Just thinking about radio control! Does anyone who has one of these locos think there's enough space to fit a charging socket and a switch? 🤪

It’s possible with something like the deltang micro receivers but you’d need to put the battery in the cab and hide it with crew as there’s not much room inside the tank. 

5 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

It’s possible with something like the deltang micro receivers but you’d need to put the battery in the cab and hide it with crew as there’s not much room inside the tank. 

Yep pretty sure that the Deltang/Micron Rx will be OK because they're much the same size of the DCC stuff. The query was about being able to fit a charging socket and DPDT switch needed for RC because the model is so small. I'd be surprised if it's possible. 

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, didcot said:

Just a thought, why not dcc instead of radio control?

I know that DCC has many adherents who swear by it. To me it's just another layer of complication. 

With RC there's no power to the rails, so no cleaning of rails and tyres and none of the maintenance overhead underneath boards. The controllers are simpler and as power is 3.7v and the electronics are rated at 6 or 12v no chance of burning stuff out.

I like the KISS principle,  RC does that for me.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PenrithBeacon said:

The query was about being able to fit a charging socket and DPDT switch needed for RC because the model is so small. I'd be surprised if it's possible. 

There are some tiny slide switches for surface mount that might work, and a variety of two pin sockets like they use for DCC interfaces. I used similar on rc for my 009 tram and it’s all hidden in the roof. 

Switch link click
284B15B5-4EE9-4F00-832F-FBC5D0192FD5.jpeg.48fa2b104c6de6f382207b4a4c2ce967.jpeg

CB2E2D78-A26A-44A9-805F-73ED520DDA4C.jpeg.664a43044e1365c9020b8073e94aeffe.jpeg

Tram in the left is rc and still has its interior. 

E535AFD3-2E53-43FD-944C-535BC9AD4B2B.jpeg.3d81a7d179a9beeb25b8791ddc9ff64f.jpeg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

The smallest Deltang RX I think is 11mm wide this is 2mm to wide to fit in without cutting metal away. The Zimo MS500 sound decoder is 10mm wide and needs metal removing from the lower boiler to get it in. The Zimo MS490 sound decoder is 9mm wide and will just fit with no surgery required. Hope this is of interest now we just wait to be proved wrong and someone manages the conversion. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...

For those looking to DCC fit their Quarry Hunslets:
Bure Valley Models appear to have a quantity of the Bachmann-recommended 36-571 Decoder at a fairly reasonable price of £35

https://www.burevalleymodels.com/p/21596/36-571-6-Pin-Micro-DCC-Loco-Decoder-(with-Brake-Button-function)

Not as cheap as the (very hard to find) Zimo equivalents have been, but still less steep than some retailers wanted for the Bachmann decoder.

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone attempted fitting stay alive other than for sound? I.e inboard rather than in the cab.

I'm not a DCC guy but I'm tempted for the flywheel effect that you can't get on DC, well without a flywheel. I don't need it to run half a yard without power, like some set ups I've seen demonstrated, just enough to smooth out power collection. Has anyone tried this and has some pointers for the DCC illiterate?

• 4 weeks later...
On 09/05/2023 at 10:23, Giles said:

I've managed to beat my quarry Hunslet into submission.....

1c

Get well soon! That was very informative. I wonder how many of the dud runners reported would be cured by that treatment. I see a crew of one on "Nesta"; without looking into it, I suspected that one man would have been usual on these.

On 09/05/2023 at 10:23, Giles said:

I've managed to beat my quarry Hunslet into submission.....

Thanks for this, it's nice to see that these locos can run nicely.

Out of interest, which decoder are you using, and have you changed any of the CV settings from the defaults?

Rails called me yesterday about the three I'd returned.
Unfortunately the replacement Alice and Dorothea they were going to send me exhibited exactly the same 'sticking' issues as mine (and they didn't have a Britomart in stock).
They've agreed to send them on to Bachmann's service department to hopefully beat into shape! Fingers crossed they are able to sort them out.

I used the Bachmann-recommended 36-571 from the Bure Valley Railway shop.  I reduced the top voltage down to about 60, and CV6 down to about 40 if I recall. I probably reduced the start voltage to 1 as well....

• RMweb Premium

I finally managed to get my Alice onto my test track today, and I'm pleased to say that she behaved in a very lady like way.

So that I didn't have to keep adjusting the control settings (the test track is one length of Peco track), I thought that I would put her on my rollers.  As luck would have it, the Bachrus rollers are just thin enough to be able to use when they are pushed hard up against each other.  She had just over an hour on the rollers, various speeds and regular changes of direction.  Next job, when I get the time, will be to fit the decoder, then set how she likes DCC.

Adrian

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, figworthy said:

I finally managed to get my Alice onto my test track today, and I'm pleased to say that she behaved in a very lady like way.

So that I didn't have to keep adjusting the control settings (the test track is one length of Peco track), I thought that I would put her on my rollers.  As luck would have it, the Bachrus rollers are just thin enough to be able to use when they are pushed hard up against each other.  She had just over an hour on the rollers, various speeds and regular changes of direction.  Next job, when I get the time, will be to fit the decoder, then set how she likes DCC.

Adrian

I fitted the decoder this afternoon, and she doesn't seem to be a DCC sort of lady.

Adrian

Unusual. I've fitted that decoder into my two, with no problem (apart from fitting the first one upside-down first time round.  I used a short address 01, using a Gaugemaster Prodegy

• Thanks 1