Replacement for Mashima

The DS10 was really designed for use in US Bo-Bo type diesel locos, where the twin shafts were coupled to u/j's  feeding tower gear sets in the bogies. The long shafts tended to be a bit "whippy"  and weren't therefore ideal for the motor mount  (gearbox) style of transmissions more popular in  UK kit locos. Thew were later largely supplanted by the Mashima can motors which were more efficient.

One kit manufacturer has been evaluating various Chinese manufactured motors that are readily available on Ebay and from other sources and has yet to find a motor which provides reasonably comparable performance. Many of these motors are produced for different uses such as car mirror activation, etc. and aren't always specified for the type of "continual" use we put them to. Further, different models require different motor permanence characteristics so a range of output power, speeds, etc. would be beneficial within a consistent package type (shaft size and length, case diameter/width, mounting screw spacing, etc.). The search goes on.

Edited by Jol Wilkinson
Spelling
  • Informative/Useful 2

Has anyone put one of the N30 motors into a model yet, and, if so, how well is it working?

I mean the Chinese 1020 size one, this thing -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Micro-Mini-N30-Motor-DC-6V-12V-17000RPM-25000RPM-High-Speed-Large-Torque-10-12mm/282613911506?hash=item41cd1a0fd2:g:oFgAAOSwP2FZkRCP

Edited by johnarcher
rotten typing

Here are a selection of cheep Chinese motors I got off ebay and used .the one installed in the loco is the 6 pole 15 mm square which gives fine medium speed running with a NWSL 36-1 gearbox .Powerful for its small size and perfect for an SP  2-6-0 .The larger Square motor is a 6 pole 18 mm and will pull the hind leg of fa donkey .I have one ina united UP 2-8-0 .The black motor is the Mabuchi ff050 type which runs quicker than the 6 pole and the  large can a  Mabuchi 180 .These are all great motors .The little Mitsumi I use on those H0n3 2-8-0 types like the Westside C16.  All are as good as Mashima  for actual layout running .I usually glue all my motors on with silicone  with a  black Milliput saddle if needed .Hope it helps .

IMG_8070.JPG

IMG_8071.JPG

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, hayfield said:

Am I being a bit stupid wanting a reasonable priced coreless motor ?

With a well placed full stop, and I can see 2 questions there :D

I'm with Tim T, I think it's optimistic..  I have used various of the N20 and gearbox motors,  but I don't know what their long term life will be, or just how well they're suited to big roundy roundy's. Shunting planks should be fine.

Edited by chris p bacon

3 hours ago, hayfield said:

They're only going to be cheap if mass-produced for markets much larger than railway modelling. That probably rules out motors that are coreless, cheap, run well on 12v DC, and are a good size for 4mm-scale models. If you're able to adapt 6v motors then there are a few, and IIRC there are some larger motor with 12v rating that might suit 7mm scale.

Nigel Lawton's mini-motors are coreless, I think, and are sold at very good prices. One of those is rated natively for 12v, but of course they don't produce much power.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, hayfield said:

I'm not really concerned about what is inside the motor, just as long as the loco runs smoothly and does what it needs to do. Given the right gear ratio (which has taken a bit of experimenting)  all the motors I have tried have been perfectly satisfactory. I don't take much notice of the quoted voltage either, if they do the job without taking much current, don't get too hot or produce smoke they are fine.

• Agree 2

Sven at Tramfabriek sells a specially commissioned  12 volt corelesss a motor for repowering 009 Hoe locos like the Roco  feldbahn 0-6-0's .I have one  Very sweet runner .I have a diesel  for sale as I bought a Bachmann Baldwin so must pay for my sins..Its pretty small though .Its  sold on ebay .There is of course SB Modellbau who sell coreless motors and also Roundbell   aka  www.locodoc.com who sells them in the states .None of them are cheap  or a easy fit.

IMG_7997.JPG

Edited by friscopete
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Lastgaspandy said:

I've looked at a lot of these motors and notice many come with a 1mm shaft. What are people using as a sleeve to bring this out to 1.5mm and 2mm ?

The one I got has a length of brass tube with it as a sleeve and instructions for fitting it (I used Locktite 601).

If you're buying direct from China etc, there's always a length of this, should be enough for a fair few motors in a length!

• RMweb Gold

Branchlines have been supplying the Hanazono 10/24 motor as a substitute for the Mashima equivalent. I've used them in a couple

of chassis with Branchlines' single stage gearbox with good results. The mounting holes are at 10mm centres rather than 8mm with

the Mashima.

• RMweb Premium

This looks like an excellent replacement for 10x24 motors, not sure what to call this one but on Ebay at about £1.35.

2101153725_18-04framesfl.JPG.2adeb6c7861cb9bdf999a70b31b65032.JPG

1384045765_18-04framesbr.JPG.7a32d1131c269d3cc33b816e1235df3d.JPG

This fits neatly on a High Level Roadrunner+, 60:1 gear ratio gives good running speed and controllability. There are no fixing screw holes in this motor but the boss is a reasonable fit in the hole in the gearbox and it's easily fixed by soldering top and bottom.

2117737868_18-0410760-6-0PTfl.JPG.7015a1d1862aa55ce413e51d93c08613.JPG

Just for completeness thsi si the finished loco, an old Gibson kit for a GW 1076 Buffalo 0-6-0PT. This was a nice kit to build, it even included a set of perfectly round wheels with solidly fastened tyres - it was purchased in 1996 though. Photo shows that I need to tweak the handrails a bit before it goes to Ian Rathbone for painting.

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

On 03/06/2019 at 11:47, Michael Edge said:

This looks like an excellent replacement for 10x24 motors, not sure what to call this one but on Ebay at about £1.35.

Mike,

If the Ebay item is still current, any chance of a link to it, please?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

On 25/05/2019 at 09:44, Michael Delamar said:

They look good ive ordered a few of those. 

Without wanting to take this off topic. What decoders would be recommmended for these various motors?

I just use cheap laisdcc.They work  and dont go up in smoke ,at least when I use em .I use a stay alive cap and have front and rear lighting

• Thanks 1

On 05/06/2019 at 09:18, cctransuk said:

Mike,

If the Ebay item is still current, any chance of a link to it, please?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I've had a search for it, to my eye it looks like this one.  What do you think?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2Pcs-DC-12V-36500RPM-5-pole-rotor-dc-motor-high-speed-dual-shaft-carbon-brush6ON/323803328870?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

1 minute ago, johnarcher said:

That's it, thanks - two duly ordered.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, hayfield said:

must cost the Chinese government to ship these items for free

They're classed as an 'emerging nation' (or similar) and as such are given preferential postage rates by nations so they can grow their economy......(so I understand)

Dave

Just had a quick Google and there is a "Universal Postal Union" which there are 192 members, the sending country collects the postage and sends a Terminal payment to the receiving country, I guess if you don't collect much you cannot send much, but the air fair still has to be paid. One article says the system now is unfair as the US postal service looses $1 per packet where as in return the Chinese postal service makes on each packet.

Still at £1.74 the Chinese company has to produce the item, pack it and pay the postage, the Chinese government has to subsidise the air freight cost and pay a pittance to the Royal Mail, who in turn have to end deliver at a loss, as I regularly spend well over £20 a month on postage  I guess the odd free package will not break the Royal mail