DJM, the end.

BR Blue

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Bernard Lamb said:

I find it amazing that this thread has generated so much froth

I don’t, what is apparent is those that were asleep at the back of class have woken up.

So how could this happen?

DJM put a card in each model and stated on here that each model is personally inspected by himself. No one questioned that what this meant was that Mr Jones would have to be handling every single model that went into a box off a workbench in China.... 

And if you read a few pages on you’ll find a disturbing familiarity in the payment problem issues. People with Expressions of interest, receiving invoices for payment..   

edit: better emphasis 

Edited by PMP
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I would expect the news of the demise of Dj Models would be in each model magazine, headline and short factual paragraph especially that some of them will have carried an advert for one of his crowdfunding schemes. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I presume any DJM advertising booked for any imminent issues will now be pulled?  There was a advert for the Class 92 in the current issue of one mag which I presume went to press before all this happened. 

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Markwj said:

I would expect the news of the demise of Dj Models would be in each model magazine, headline and short factual paragraph especially that some of them will have carried an advert for one of his crowdfunding schemes. 

1 hour ago, John M Upton said:

I presume any DJM advertising booked for any imminent issues will now be pulled?  There was a advert for the Class 92 in the current issue of one mag which I presume went to press before all this happened. 

The witchhunt continues. Now it's the evil model railway magazines fault that DJM existed/went bust because they published adverts he paid for. BURN THEM! BURN THEM ALL!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 3

12 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

The witchhunt continues. Now it's the evil model railway magazines fault that DJM existed/went bust because they published adverts he paid for. BURN THEM! BURN THEM ALL!

If a small advert at the back part of BRM costs about £250,000 then we know where all the money went and why the mags don't want to talk about it.

These are the same magazines who expect people to build layouts that will go in their magazines out of their own or club's funds.

Yep, it's all the fault of the pesky magazines.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 6

2 hours ago, John M Upton said:

Given DJM voluntarily liquidated around three weeks ago, how do you suppose the model magazines could react that quickly.  I bet Andy York, Phil Parker et al have probably boxed off most of August's

BRM and working on September. This issue probably is whether the advertising department meant can pull the adverts in time to mitigate the non payment of the fees.            

Edited by Covkid
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

If a small advert at the back part of BRM costs about £250,000 then we know where all the money went and why the mags don't want to talk about it.

These are the same magazines who expect people to build layouts that will go in their magazines out of their own or club's funds.

... but who buys the magazines. If punters left them on the shelf then this whole sorry state just wouldn’t have occurred. It’s all our fault. Let’s take up fishing!

Griff

4 minutes ago, griffgriff said:

Certainly is.... at least it’s Father’s Day (or is it just Fathers Day?) so I get some respite from being wrong ;)

Griff

I wish.

Got asked by son #1 would I like to go out for a meal today, yes I said, we can go to his pub.

Apparently that was the wrong answer even though at this late stage any other good pub would probably be fully booked.  So I went leftfield with Tampopo, still the wrong answer as he seemed to want a roast dinner.  So we are now going to his pub for a roast!

• Friendly/supportive 3

Full respect to the mods and in answer to those who wonder how this thread can have meandered on for 44 pages I think it the answer is that it is a form of therapy to be able to deal with the loss of promised models. However I think the wider lesson is (one again) the proof that running a successful, functional business with long term viability is a tough task that requires tenacity, resources and business acumen beyond armchair or pub discussion. 

Certainly, I am long past getting excited about any 'announcements' of new models or manufacturers, which for various well-aired reasons now tend to be years from a model actually appearing. On the other hand, when a new model does actually come out, I am these days much more relaxed about 'coping' (!) with the odd rivet in the wrong place or less than ideal lighting set up, and tend to just be pleased that other people have taken the risk, effort and work to let me actually buy the thing for much less than it would ever cost me in time and effort to build it to anything like that standard. 

• Like 11
  • Agree 8

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

Full respect to the mods and in answer to those who wonder how this thread can have meandered on for 44 pages

You're lucky, we're up to page 48. :D

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, Phil Parker said:

Would you like to borrow a pitchfork?

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Markwj said:

BRM has done what in can at short notice by putting it on the World of Railways website

https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/brm/reviews/dj-models/news-dj-models-goes-into-receivership

&

https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/brm/reviews/dj-models/news-dj-models-update

The was also reported by them in a news e-mail on the 6th June which refers to that article

Edited by Ryde-on-time
adding link
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, griffgriff said:

... but who buys the magazines. If punters left them on the shelf then this whole sorry state just wouldn’t have occurred. It’s all our fault. Let’s take up fishing!

Griff

Good idea...pass the buck onto those pesky fishing magazines!

19 minutes ago, truffy said:

Good idea...pass the buck onto those pesky fishing magazines!

Good idea, there's one called "Totally Carp".  I think with a minor re-arrangement of letters its completely appropriate....  :jester:

• Funny 5

2 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Sorry, I think my sense of humour just departed. (CJL)

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

9 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

Pinning down someone in China on the phone for a chat will be difficult and time consuming.

180373d28c101332ce124b.jpg

"Hello Phil, about the DJ Models Cads and tooling. That's our property now and we will be flooding the world soon with cheap tatty Mermaids and Sharks. The APT we will scale up to 1:1 and use it on our new high speed railway to Pyongyang, that should shake Kim up a bit !!.

Must go now, Donald's on the other line, - no not McDonald's  Phil - THE Donald."

Brit15

• Like 2
  • Funny 17

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

I refuse outright to burn all my model railway mags - although Mrs Stationmaster might well agree with you.:blush:

Psst anybody wanna buy a mint copy of BRM No.1, only one previous drooler?  or the very last issue of 'Model Railway Constructor'?

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

Sorry I think you have misinterpreted what I meant, as the magazines ran adverts as paid for by DJM there may be some crowdfunders who only knew and supported the projects via the magazine info/ advert so this may be the only way they find out the company is no more via a magazine article. I meant no more than that.

Apologies to all if that's the way it was interpreted that was not my intention.

edited to add apology

Edited by Markwj
  • Friendly/supportive 5