The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

And another phone scam/nuisnace

34theletterbetweenB&D

19 hours ago, big jim said:

I’ve been receiving regular emails from Les Kent at Haslington models with a link saying ‘have a look at these pics, you may remember some of the guys’ or words to that effect 

I've been receiving similar messages, supposedly from people I know, the senders email behind the name is different each time so is difficult to block. 

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

They'll send you five reports of expired Norton accounts and a fee entry to Win a Cruise

I've had at least a dozen emails, stating that there is a problem with my NetFlix account - quite correct, there is a problem, in that I don't have one!

My wife on the other hand, does pay her account and she hasn't received any such emails!

48 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

I've had at least a dozen emails, stating that there is a problem with my NetFlix account - quite correct, there is a problem, in that I don't have one!

My wife on the other hand, does pay her account and she hasn't received any such emails!

They've been losing subscibers as people cut pack om discretionary spending, and it seems your good lady might soon be able to save a few bob if she's prepared to put up with ads

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2022/sep/05/netflix-to-launch-cheaper-ad-supported-subscription-in-november

Or of course, you could click on an email link and send your money to a prince in Lagos

• Like 2

My wife had a text yesterday starting 'Hi mum, I lost my phone so I'm using a new phone' or something like that. She knew it wasn't our son 'cos he would have used his wife's phone. Knowing it was dodgy she answered 'Who's this?' and get a reply 'guess!'

She blocked the number. 

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

They've been losing subscibers as people cut pack om discretionary spending, and it seems your good lady might soon be able to save a few bob if she's prepared to put up with ads

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2022/sep/05/netflix-to-launch-cheaper-ad-supported-subscription-in-november

Or of course, you could click on an email link and send your money to a prince in Lagos

I doubt that we'll be taking up the 'with ads' option - like what's the point?

On 04/09/2022 at 12:35, big jim said:

I’ve been receiving regular emails from Les Kent at Haslington models with a link saying ‘have a look at these pics, you may remember some of the guys’ or words to that effect 

Pretty sure it’s dodgy unless he’s trying to scam me from beyond the grave as he died Last year, might get Derek Acorah to have a word with him (assuming Derek went up not down!) 

Going off topic for a minute, very sorry to hear Les passed away; my dad and I made a few trips to see him in his shop, often while en route to or from Scotland. Various additions to my rolling stock came from him. A lovely man who both of us will miss. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I've apparently just had 290 BTC put into my account, at my request - which strangely I don't recall making any such action.

It doesn't seem to be anyone locally I know, so perhaps it's some kind soul on RMweb, that has given me the money!

🙄

• RMweb Premium

Spam received today. What a contradiction, people seriously fall for such badly written stuff?

Is it from Canada or the US? Does it require payment or have I sent it to the wrong address?

From 'US Parcel Service' - although email address doesn't reflect that.

Subject 'Your package is awaiting fees payment'

Home page is stated as 'Canadapost.ca'

Text says

Dear Customer , We are sorry to inform you that your package arrived on 17/09/2022 will be sent back, This can happen when the recipient's address is incorrect.

To submit a return request for this package, please fill out the form on our website.

The other day I had a text message claiming to be from Evri, saying they had been unable to deliver my parcel "today", click the link to re-book, etc....

It was the word "today" that made me smile, seeing as I got the text at 4:30 in the morning. 🙄🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, F-UnitMad said:

The other day I had a text message claiming to be from Evri, saying they had been unable to deliver my parcel "today", click the link to re-book, etc....

It was the word "today" that made me smile, seeing as I got the text at 4:30 in the morning. 🙄🤣🤣🤣

Correct, because you wouldn't open the door!

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

SWMBO recently received a scam text of the "Hi, I've lost my phone and all my contacts...." variety, and actually thought it was her son A (my stepson).  The scammer claimed to be in urgent need of money for a payment due to Afterpay*.  As A has a poor track record of paying back loans from us, she texted back asking him to come over and see us about it.  The scammer replied "Are you in tomorrow" and she replied she was out all day (true) and then it all went quiet.  She didn't ring A because he had (apparently) lost his phone, but got very angry about him asking for money yet again.  She mentioned it to a friend who told her it was a scam.  I hadn't sussed it because I didn't see any of the texts and because of A's aforesaid track record.  

*A buy now pay later operator that makes its money by charging massive fees for missed payments.

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, petethemole said:

"Are you in tomorrow" and she replied she was out all day (true) and then it all went quiet. 

Wow!   Probably safer if someone stays home all day tomorrow just in case the scammer is also into burglary and has discovered the address.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I've just had what could be a new variation on a theme. 

About the right time for these things, 01472 code and recorded voice saying it's name is Michael something.

Asks if I'm still the home owner, so I ask where are you calling?

Obviously it's programmed to respond to any reply because it then goes on to ask if I have a gas supply, not available here. 

I ask which area it is calling,  it then asks if I've got double glazing, I have but reply again with where is it calling?

Obviously decided it's getting nowhere so hung up.

At least it sounded like a Michael, not like most of those using British sounding names,  who the closest they've been to this country is probably watching Coronation Street or East Enders on their satellite TVs to learn the lingo!!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 25/09/2022 at 16:42, Welly said:

Yesterday my Dad picked up a call from a genuine looking number and heard the voice "All our opereratives are busy, can you please call back on this number ...." Screw that!🙄

Usually means something like, there is no operative available, because they are all busy. But yes, why would anyone bother?

Obviously a cheap option compared to having enough call takers.

• RMweb Premium

Similar text to my mobile just now:- "Gov-Uk: Due to the Energy Bill Support Scheme, you are owed £400 under the discounted energy bill. You can apply here: Energy.via-temp.com"

Obvious to me its a scam as you don't need to apply and no money from the actual scheme will go into your bank, details of which they'll no doubt be phishing for in the 'on line application'

@phone no blocked and reported as spam on my phone.

Edited by Brit70053
Correction
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I got this email just now....not personally addressed....instantly smelly.

W‍e‍ ‍h‍av͏e t­­­e­­­m­­­p­­­o­­­r­­­a­­­r­­­i­­­l­­­y pla͏ced‍ ‍your A͏­­­m͏­­­a͏­­­z͏­­­o͏­­­n͏ a͏­­­c͏­­­c͏­­­o͏­­­u͏­­­n͏­­­t͏ on h­­­o­­­l­­­d and c­­­a­­­n­­­c­­­e­­­l­­­e­­­d any p­­­e­­­n­­­d­­­i­­­n­­­g o͏­­­r͏­­­d͏­­­e͏­­­r͏­­­s͏ or su͏bscriptio‍ns bec‍ause ‍we‍ d͏­­­e͏­­­t͏­­­e͏­­­c͏­­­t͏­­­e͏­­­d͏ u­­­n­­­u­­­s­­­u­­­a­­­l a­­­c­­­t­­­i­­­v­­­i­­­t­­­y on i͏t.

To restore yo͏u‍r a͏­­­c͏­­­c͏­­­o͏­­­u͏­­­n͏­­­t͏, you can clic‍k ‍the butt͏on b͏elow ͏and ‍follo‍w͏ on-s͏creen ins‍tru͏ction͏s.

O‍n‍ce y͏o‍u ha͏ve p‍r‍o‍vided͏ t͏h͏e required i­­­n­­­f­­­o­­­r­­­m­­­a­­­t­­­i­­­o­­­n, we will review it and ‍r͏espon‍d withi‍n 24 h͏ours.

Yo͏u cannot access you‍r a͏­­­c͏­­­c͏­­­o͏­­­u͏­­­n͏­­­t͏ un͏til ‍thi‍s ͏p‍ro͏c‍e͏ss ‍is‍ ͏com‍ple‍te.

If you͏ don͏'‍t complete a͏­­­c͏­­­c͏­­­o͏­­­u͏­­­n͏­­­t͏ recovery within 3 day‍s, ͏we w͏ill lock ‍yo‍ur A͏­­­m͏­­­a͏­­­z͏­­­o͏­­­n͏ a͏­­­c͏­­­c͏­­­o͏­­­u͏­­­n͏­­­t͏ p͏­­­e͏­­­r͏­­­m͏­­­a͏­­­n͏­­­e͏­­­n͏­­­t͏­­­l͏­­­y͏.

We͏ ‍are s‍orr͏y for any inconvenie͏n‍ce this ‍may hav͏e caused͏.
T‍h‍ank you for your attentio‍n.

Sincerely͏,

A͏­­­m͏­­­a͏­­­z͏­­­o͏­­­n͏.c͏om

Sign-in to A͏­­­m͏­­­a͏­­­z͏­­­o͏­­­n͏

• Informative/Useful 4

Just now, Re6/6 said:

I got this email just now....not personally addressed....instantly smelly.

W‍e‍ ‍h‍av͏e t­­­e­­­m­­­p­­­o­­­r­­­a­­­r­­­i­­­l­­­y pla͏ced‍ ‍your A͏­­­m͏­­­a͏­­­z͏­­­o͏­­­n͏ a͏­­­c͏­­­c͏­­­o͏­­­u͏­­­n͏­­­t͏ on h­­­o­­­l­­­d and c­­­a­­­n­­­c­­­e­­­l­­­e­­­d any p­­­e­­­n­­­d­­­i­­­n­­­g o͏­­­r͏­­­d͏­­­e͏­­­r͏­­­s͏ or su͏bscriptio‍ns bec‍ause ‍we‍ d͏­­­e͏­­­t͏­­­e͏­­­c͏­­­t͏­­­e͏­­­d͏ u­­­n­­­u­­­s­­­u­­­a­­­l a­­­c­­­t­­­i­­­v­­­i­­­t­­­y on i͏t.

To restore yo͏u‍r a͏­­­c͏­­­c͏­­­o͏­­­u͏­­­n͏­­­t͏, you can clic‍k ‍the butt͏on b͏elow ͏and ‍follo‍w͏ on-s͏creen ins‍tru͏ction͏s.

O‍n‍ce y͏o‍u ha͏ve p‍r‍o‍vided͏ t͏h͏e required i­­­n­­­f­­­o­­­r­­­m­­­a­­­t­­­i­­­o­­­n, we will review it and ‍r͏espon‍d withi‍n 24 h͏ours.

Yo͏u cannot access you‍r a͏­­­c͏­­­c͏­­­o͏­­­u͏­­­n͏­­­t͏ un͏til ‍thi‍s ͏p‍ro͏c‍e͏ss ‍is‍ ͏com‍ple‍te.

If you͏ don͏'‍t complete a͏­­­c͏­­­c͏­­­o͏­­­u͏­­­n͏­­­t͏ recovery within 3 day‍s, ͏we w͏ill lock ‍yo‍ur A͏­­­m͏­­­a͏­­­z͏­­­o͏­­­n͏ a͏­­­c͏­­­c͏­­­o͏­­­u͏­­­n͏­­­t͏ p͏­­­e͏­­­r͏­­­m͏­­­a͏­­­n͏­­­e͏­­­n͏­­­t͏­­­l͏­­­y͏.

We͏ ‍are s‍orr͏y for any inconvenie͏n‍ce this ‍may hav͏e caused͏.
T‍h‍ank you for your attentio‍n.

Sincerely͏,

A͏­­­m͏­­­a͏­­­z͏­­­o͏­­­n͏.c͏om

Sign-in to A͏­­­m͏­­­a͏­­­z͏­­­o͏­­­n͏

Variation on a theme, I'm afraid. Sadly some do still fall for them ☹️