RMweb

All-new Heljan 47 in 00 gauge

Ouroborus

For me, the area between the top of the cab "lip" and the Marker light panel looks to obig, it does look like this sample has no black around this area giving that odd illusion that this area is too big. Also, the lights are good - something which Bachmann continously gets wrong with thier over sized renderings of the marker lights. however the headlight is still too flat looking, so for me itd be out with the scapel still to replace this, something which give nthe RRP of this model, I shouldnt have to do to get it looking right.

47329 also has V-airiels, so lets hope they added those on. The etched roof grills, of what can see of them look ok. Still further tweaks needed on this one, so I do wish Heljan the best of luck with this model 

NL

• Like 1

On 13/08/2023 at 18:50, Halvarras said:

I agree - my take on it was that if it was good enough for Mostyn it was good enough for me. I have three plus three Bachmann, although they have different purposes so don't get run together.

One of the issues with the first releases was that the narrow bogie frames emphasised the slightly overwidth body, to the extent that it was difficult to imagine a 4mm driver climbing the bogie steps to reach the cab door as they were so inset. Later models had the locating sockets on the rear of the sideframes extended to push the frames further out, which helped disguise the body's dimensional problem (for those not aware due to the passage of time, as it was over 20 years ago, it is believed that the error was due to the model's width over body being derived from the Class 47 width dimension including cab door handrails which projected a few inches from the bodyside; the bufferbeam area appeared to be the correct width indicating that the cab's front face was also correct, so as a result the cab sidesheets curved in a little more sharply than they should. It's acceptable to me, but even so I have to say that it made me appreciate just how good Lima's toolmakers had been 15 years earlier!)

I agree with the bogie frame width so I have used spacers cut from thin straws to slip over the bogie spigots, this holds the frames out level with the body.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

So it appears these may break cover in January “24 as I received a notification from Hattons earlier today, on some variants I was interested in . Usual caveats apply.

Perhaps there may be some final samples on display at Warley.

Edited by Pedro32
Clarifying
  • Informative/Useful 1

I am looking to replace my four tubby duffs and Bachmann 47436. With a new fleet.

1980 - 1984 is my layout time frame.

Given the price point of Heljan it is going to have to be just right. They are releasing a blue 47/3 with a plated headcode, which Bachmann don't currently offer. So that is what is drawing me to them. I have been tempted to buy a couple of Bachmann 47012 and take the plunge but have held off.

So I am awaiting the Heljan release eagerly. Compare with Bachmann and take the plunge. It will be my last big loco purchase for my rail blue fleet. (I will buy 4)

Class 45s. Bachmann won over Heljan for me. We shall see with the 47s

8 hours ago, rob D2 said:

i much prefer the Bachmann version TBH . I'd rather respray or modify one of those 

I agree, the new Heljan 47 just doesn't look right, to me the engine room windows are too low down on the sides, throwing the proportions out.

I think the tubby ones look capture the look better.

Mind you, I still think Lima got the look spot on, they can be made to look great with a bit of titillation.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, rob D2 said:

i much prefer the Bachmann version TBH . I'd rather respray or modify one of those 

I will probably go for Bachmann. As I know the cab shape of the Heljan ones in O gauge wasn't right and perhaps it will not be right on the OO 47. Heljan also don´t have a habit of making changes when errors are pointed out.

But I will await a back to back comparison between the new Heljan and Bachmann models before I make the final decision. My gut feel is that it will probably be Bachmann.

• RMweb Premium

Its going to have to be spot on  to tempt people away from Bachmann . As I understand it there is not a huge price differential . I kind of think Heljan have missed the boat on this one .

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 13/11/2023 at 11:27, SouthernBlue80s said:

I am looking to replace my four tubby duffs and Bachmann 47436. With a new fleet.

1980 - 1984 is my layout time frame.

Given the price point of Heljan it is going to have to be just right. They are releasing a blue 47/3 with a plated headcode, which Bachmann don't currently offer. So that is what is drawing me to them. I have been tempted to buy a couple of Bachmann 47012 and take the plunge but have held off.

So I am awaiting the Heljan release eagerly. Compare with Bachmann and take the plunge. It will be my last big loco purchase for my rail blue fleet. (I will buy 4)

Class 45s. Bachmann won over Heljan for me. We shall see with the 47s

Can't prejudge a model not yet released but I have a Bachmann 47 and it is a superb model - detailed, smooth, lots of DCC functionality inbuilt and remains widely available (depending what livery you're after). Basic BR Blue still on dealers shelves - this for example https://railsofsheffield.com/products/Bachmann-35-414-class-47-4-47435-br-blue-diesel-locomotive

• RMweb Premium
On 14/11/2023 at 00:20, rob D2 said:

Hat to be a party pooper but there's another aspect of these new 47's that I'm not impressed with.

Looking at the 'samples' of the 57's that are available for pre-order on Rails of sheff, I spied what looks very much like the 20 year old bogie side frames that were fitted to the original tubby duff!

I,e , brake blocks that don't line up with the wheels, no separately fitted brake rigging, pipe work etc etc. 

This was acceptable back then, nowadays, on a £179 model, not so much! 

• RMweb Premium

This looks like it'll be an excellent model which unfortunately faces competition from a truly outstanding model from Bachmann. If the Heljan undercuts Bachmann by a reasonable margin I think there's a place for it, but the Bachmann model can now be found with some good discounts.

If I see a good deal on one of these I'll go for it, or if there are options not done by Bachmann as it does look very good. However, if liveries I want are available from Bachmann and not too much more that'd be my preference based on what I have seen so far. And to be frank I'm not planning to replace my older Bachmann models as that also remains an excellent model and I see no reason to replace them.

• Agree 6

5 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

This looks like it'll be an excellent model which unfortunately faces competition from a truly outstanding model from Bachmann. If the Heljan undercuts Bachmann by a reasonable margin I think there's a place for it, but the Bachmann model can now be found with some good discounts.

If I see a good deal on one of these I'll go for it, or if there are options not done by Bachmann as it does look very good. However, if liveries I want are available from Bachmann and not too much more that'd be my preference based on what I have seen so far. And to be frank I'm not planning to replace my older Bachmann models as that also remains an excellent model and I see no reason to replace them.

Absolutely. I haven’t felt driven to acquire either a new 37 (from Bachmann or Accurascale) or a 47 because I have a fair number of both classes and most are good. I would give in to temptation but models are being produced of prototypes which haven’t been produced RTR before. They sponge up all the spare funds. I have a couple of Class 70s but I have ordered a couple more. A different Class 70, don’t you know. 🤣

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I have a fair bit of brand loyalty to Bachmann , but it didn’t exceed £200 worth , so now you can get both 37s and 47s lower that pushes HJ out as I was underwhelmed with their original 47 although I’ve had a few but don’t any more 

I'm really looking forward to see how the new HJ 47 turns out.  There's a number liveries quite unrepresented by Bachmann. Original r/f, br blue (with headlight, res 47/4 and original i/c have not been done for sometime or not at all. 

For me the new model needs to be either as good as Bachmann and cheaper or miles better and a similar price. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Theres a lot of good liveries awaiting to be done, and Bachmann has focussed more on its 37 competition, than its 47 competition.

Heljan has always been a few steps above railroad in its product, but more recently its pricing just felt like a war against its customer.

whatever the reason for that, for me its about price, quality and choice

Heljan currently wins the choice, the Quality at Warley last year didnt look bad, but price is the outlier.

i may wait and see if Bachmann decide to run a bunch of 47’s in New years… then decide.

• Agree 3

6 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Theres a lot of good liveries awaiting to be done, and Bachmann has focussed more on its 37 competition, than its 47 competition.

Heljan has always been a few steps above railroad in its product, but more recently its pricing just felt like a war against its customer.

whatever the reason for that, for me its about price, quality and choice

Heljan currently wins the choice, the Quality at Warley last year didnt look bad, but price is the outlier.

i may wait and see if Bachmann decide to run a bunch of 47’s in New years… then decide.

Same here. If Bachmann run another batch of 47s in the new year...then that will also influence my decision.

• RMweb Premium

I think Bachmann were all plans for launching more liveries (off their much trumpeted new tooling) and then got distracted into fighting Accurascale on Class 37s. This winters announcement (no 47s again) leads me to believe they are waiting for Heljan to launch their 47 then they'll pick fight with them in the Spring. Bachmann are like a drunk in a model railway party. There's enough room for everyone, have a glass of water Mr Bachmann and sit down.

Ive got 3 of the new Bachmann 47s and they are excellent straight out of the box - best locos ive got but was a bit irked that they dropped in price so much after I bought mine and Id certainly wait for the price  to settle down next time. Id be happy to give the Heljan a go (got a 33 than runs nice) - my eye can't pick out the discrepancies others can and only ive got to see it. Im a duff fan and happy to be spoilt for choice.

Edited by Norski
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

In all likelihood the 37's and 47's are made in the same factory on a similar line, just going off the similarities in how they are put together and I guess there's only so much capacity. 

Or it might be that the previous batch are hanging around. Prices as low as £149 / £199 / £249 for DC/SF/SFX versions at moment at one retailer and quite a few others showing heavy discounts. It is a lovely loco but the old one just wasn’t that bad to make me embark on whole scale changeout…

19 minutes ago, Matt said:

Or it might be that the previous batch are hanging around. Prices as low as £149 / £199 / £249 for DC/SF/SFX versions at moment at one retailer and quite a few others showing heavy discounts. It is a lovely loco but the old one just wasn’t that bad to make me embark on whole scale changeout…

which retailer? that is VERY low.

2 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

which retailer? that is VERY low.

Derails - newsletter specials. They had some 37s at these prices but gone already - last I looked still had BR blue, large logo, Scotrail, freight liner and DRS at these prices although not all versions available now as stocks starting to dwindle

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 21/11/2023 at 13:13, Matt said:

Agree there were a lot of the previous version which is also very good. Maybe the fact that the new version has the 'house style' of Bachmann works against it - not enough to really make it stand out against the older Bachmann version. Also I think the specificity of some of the liveries limits the market. 

• Like 1