Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Brian's 7mm Diesel Workbench, Belated up-date!

Had a nice Jiffy Bag from DJH today with some Southern style highlevel airpipe castings in it so I can finish off the ends now. The top picture of a painted Peter Clark 205 is a friends that is built as the kit is supplied so you can see the difference with the whitemetal supplied end castings.   have also added some lost wax Westdale door grab handles and Easybuild door hinges, the ones supplied are just too small for me to get hold off and solder on at the same time.

I have also built up the resin Steve Beattie engine castings. It's basic but it will do as it's stuck in engine room mostly hidden. I still have to cut about 1/4" off the bottom so it sits on top of the floor. The model is complete with sump which should sit through the floor if you want.

I have soldered up the middle trailer body as well now so not long before it's a 3 car set.

post-6766-0-09197300-1357399064.jpg

post-6766-0-80573200-1357399066.jpg

post-6766-0-34508400-1357399070_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-31949500-1357399073.jpg

post-6766-0-53494800-1357399075.jpg

post-6766-0-80291000-1357399077.jpg

post-6766-0-24828900-1357399080.jpg

• Like 9

Yes Jeff they are from the 03 kit.

I have been making the bogies for the center trailer only to get the basic bogie soldered up and think "where are the wheels"? Ah, forgot I haven't got any  :jester:  Oh well at least the mojority of the works done for when I get some. I am short of the Kadees as well so might rob a US model in the mean time.

• Like 1

I wasn't aware thet DJH made parts available. Is that just something they do for modellers "known" to them?

No, all you have to do is either call them or email them. You'll find them very willing to sell their products to you.

Cheers

Tom

No, all you have to do is either call them or email them. You'll find them very willing to sell their products to you.

Cheers

Tom

I did not find them that helpful, when I enquired about a chimney for a J72, is was told that it would only be supplied as a replacement if I had already bought a kit.

J.P.

Hi Brian,

I understand that you are going to the show in Bristol at the end of the month... how are you placed to take the Cargowaggon with you?

Some time back you were building models of BR short vans... which type of van did you build? I am interested in which types of BR short wheelbase vans were in service in the mid 1980s and I recollect that you made your model as an air-braked version.

regards, Graham

Hi graham

Don't worry the Cargowaggon van is certainly going as Pete Harvey will also be there and I am sure he would want to see his kit in the flesh again.

I converted a JLTRT plywood van into an airbraked version using Appleby suspension and brake gear. It's back in this thread, somewhere! I also did Slaters vanwides and JLTRT Banana van as a barrier van but these were vac braked so possibly not around in the mid 80's.

Is there  any way I can add an index at the front of this workbench thread?

I phoned up DJH to see if they would sell me some plated headcode covers about 2 years ago as a one off - they were not interested at all! - which was very disappointing at the time but since then Extreme Etchings & Pete Harvey have brought out these products so their gain from my business was DJH's loss. Surely if you have components it would make sense to actively market them and sell them separately but they obviously have their reasons. Maybe it simply does depend who you speak to! which if so is not a very consistent policy.

I have cut the bottom off the engine and a bit more off the generator so it clears the bogie pivot. The engine is hollow so might be a good place to hide away the OO sound chip I want to use later. But that means I will have to sort out how to make the engine removable. On the truss rods underneath I have been adding a T section midway between the uprights to improve the appearance.

post-6766-0-07522600-1357649485.jpg

post-6766-0-26989100-1357649487.jpg

• Like 4