RMweb

When is a parked car not a parked car?

royaloak

Apparently when you are parked on the torpoint ferry chugging its way merrily across the river Tamar you are not actually parked and can be fined for using a mobile phone or not wearing your seatbelt

Police carried out an operation on the Torpoint Ferry yesterday morning.

Several drivers were given “words of advice” and four drivers were reported for offences.

Officers say they are reminding motorists that both the ferry and the lanes leading to and from it are considered highways.

Therefore, the usual traffic laws apply – so you’re not allowed to us your mobile phone and you must wear a seatbelt.

Full article-

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/police-carry-out-sting-torpoint-3128014

Nice to know there are enough officers spare (at least 6, 2 on the ferry, 2 on the Torpoint side and 2 at the Devonport side) to carry out this highly important road safety initiative, although I am wondering why it has taken until now for them to carry out such an important operation.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Funny 4

• Moderators

It's probably more to do with what drivers were or weren't doing on approaching and leaving the ferry than what they were doing whilst 'parked'. There's a lack of clarity in the story, probably for effect; an unsurprising feature of local newspapers or news sites. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 7

i for one am proud to see the police force stepping up to the front and managing the dangerous issues of the modern era. There are far too many traffic incidents on these so called floating highways, for example ............... hang on a minute ................ wait a second ................... ok, i haven't found any yet, but i'll keep trying.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

3 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

It's probably more to do with what drivers were or weren't doing on approaching and leaving the ferry than what they were doing whilst 'parked'. There's a lack of clarity in the story, probably for effect; an unsurprising feature of local newspapers or news sites. 

I have read other articles (advert heavy so didnt use them in the original post) which states there were two 'spotters' on the top deck of the ferry and they were only pulling people who were breaking the law on the ferry itself, these two spotters then radioed the officers on shore who pulled the relevant cars over for ticketing or advice.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I certainly would not wear a seatbelt on a ferry or driving on or off it & I am a sailing instructor/safety boat driver.  There must be something missing from the article as there is no requirement to wear one when a vehicle is stationery & the engine switched off. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, duncan said:

I certainly would not wear a seatbelt on a ferry or driving on or off it & I am a sailing instructor/safety boat driver.  There must be something missing from the article as there is no requirement to wear one when a vehicle is stationery & the engine switched off. 

The Police are stating that the lanes on the ferry are classed as a highway and as the car is on a 'highway' you are in charge of it and therefore normal road traffic rules apply hence the fines.

I always wear my seatbelt when driving on or off the ferry as it is ordinary roads either side but remove it when parked, if its a nice day I will go upstairs to admire the ships in the dockyard so could I be prosecuted for abandoning my car on a highway?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

Just now, Stubby47 said:

This, on top of BoardMasters being cancelled... :crazy:

Maybe thats where the spare officers came from, nothing else to do so go and get some much needed revenue in and p-ss off some more car drivers in the process.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

I think we can all sleep safer in our beds knowing that the police are hard on the case of the Tamar ferry motorists.

Never mind the burglaries they cant be bothered to turn up at or the out of control knife crime we can be proud that the un-seatbelted motorist will be in fear from the boys in blue.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Surely if you stop on the highway (like at the side of the road), with your engine off then you can use your phone or remove your seatbelt with impunity, as you are parked? I get that using it at traffic lights is still illegal, but you're effectively parked on the ferry. Feels like something missing from the article.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

I would agree, as the article states some were warned and others fined. So there was a subtle difference in various driver behaviour.

• Agree 2

• Moderators
1 minute ago, kevinlms said:

So there was a subtle difference in various driver behaviour.

The outcome down there was probably determined by whether you put jam or cream on your scones first. 

Jam first? Spread 'em Janner!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 14

1 minute ago, AY Mod said:

The outcome down there was probably determined by whether you put jam or cream on your scones first. 

Oh please not that one again, I am begging you, we all know the correct way is BCJ, butter, cream then jam. :blink: :lol:

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, AY Mod said:

Back to Bunnings! I thought the UK had kicked them out?

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/nov/13/bunnings-hits-snag-with-ridiculous-sausage-sizzle-safety-rule

• Funny 1

Getting reported for offences, likely means, when the drivers were stopped for a friendly word-of-advice' [and justifiably so....too many drivers have grown up without feeling the need to watch their mirrors for jam sarnies], were likely found to be uninsured, or driving  without a licence....etc etc.....

D&C Police are still currently carrying out Operation Snap...

https://twitter.com/OpSnapDCpolice

The likelihood of finding burglars, then being able to apply for some sort of justice, is fraught with complication for the Police. The Police will never win....[I'm willing to bet most who report burglaries are more interested in the crime number, to be able to make a claim?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There is nothing saying that the offences happened whilst the drivers were stationary on the boat. I suspect that the individuals caught were caught either driving on or driving off the boat. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, royaloak said:

Oh please not that one again, I am begging you, we all know the correct way is BCJ, butter, cream then jam. :blink: :lol:

You've obviously not had a run in with PC Trebasco (hotsh*t to his mates) from Truro nick, e'll tell yer.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

1 hour ago, njee20 said:

Surely if you stop on the highway (like at the side of the road), with your engine off then you can use your phone or remove your seatbelt with impunity, as you are parked? I get that using it at traffic lights is still illegal, but you're effectively parked on the ferry. Feels like something missing from the article.

Ah, but ... it's stated that the ferry and the lanes leading to it are considered part of a highway, so once the ferry is under way, you're on the highway, but you're not stationary, are you? :smile_mini2:

After an accident boarding a ferry here in BC where someone was trapped in a vehicle and drowned, there was advice given (I can't remember by whom) to unbuckle as you are about to board.

G'Day Folks

To change 'Tack' slightly, We here in South Australia, have been informed by the boys in Blue, that motorist's that use a mobile phone to pay for there meal at the 'drive through' at a Mc Donalds, are breaking the law as they are, 'Using a mobile phone whilst in charge of a vehicle, and not 'parked' as we've been told that a 'drive through is part of the road system, even though it's on 'Private property' ?????

manna

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• Moderators
37 minutes ago, Coldgunner said:

Isn't a drive through technically a private road

I drove through one at 88mph and ended up in a Wimpy.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1