Best height for an exhibition layout

• Moderators
38 minutes ago, Julia said:

Wow.

Just Wow.

J

Before castigating anyone do bear in mind layout builders are not paid entertainers and they don't have to show their work off. Do cinema screenings have subtitles for those with hearing difficulties? Do retailers have POS material with braille translations? Rarely I would say so - a measure of reasonabless should be applied to this issue within our hobby from all sides.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Julia said:

Maybe have a think about how you can make a layout at about 1000mm more comfortable for your operators rather than ignoring those who aren't as able bodied as you? 

J

Maybe have a think about how some layout designs aren’t appropriate for display at a 1m height.  Mine aren’t, and whilst exhibition managers ask for them for display, I’ll carry on.

Edited by PMP
  • Like 1

Personally I think a lot can be done with the design of the layou itself.

I built Denton Brook (and The End of The Line) to be at a height of just under 1100mm nominally, but both were designed to be three dimensional, and viewed from low angles as well as normal heights and give an interesting and plausible  picture from a wheelchair, even though they wouldn't be able to see the surfaces at the highest levels. 

It worked, and on a number of occassions I have had very happy convesrations with people in wheechairs who are enjoying the scenics and the action.

I operate from tall stools from self-preservation from front/side, which also gives good view and communication.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Before castigating anyone do bear in mind layout builders are not paid entertainers and they don't have to show their work off. Do cinema screenings have subtitles for those with hearing difficulties? Do retailers have POS material with braille translations? Rarely I would say so - a measure of reasonabless should be applied to this issue within our hobby from all sides.

Actually every film showing I goto has subtitles... 

Checkouts at most supermarkets have induction loops for the hard of hearing. 

If you are making your layout as an exhibition layout, then you really should be making it accessible to all those who come to the exhibition, and that means considering those in a wheel chair. If you don't want to do so, Don't exhibit. 

J

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, PMP said:

Maybe have a think about how some layout designs aren’t appropriate for display at the new regulation 1m height.  Mine aren’t, and whilst exhibition managers ask for them for display, I’ll carry on.

Your layout design is flawed then. That may be fine for home use, but you're talking about taking it to an exhibition, which is for the general public. Thus you have to bow to the considerations of the general public. 

J

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Julia said:

Thus you have to bow to the considerations of the general public

He doesn't have to bow to anything not covered by legislation. That attitude will make it less likely that someone will try to be more accommodating. Leave it alone now please.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Julia said:

If you are making your layout as an exhibition layout, then you really should be making it accessible to all those who come to the exhibition, and that means considering those in a wheel chair. If you don't want to do so, Don't exhibit. 

And what happens if you are not making a layout as an exhibition layout but a home layout that could be occasionally exhibited, as many layouts are?

Should they be banned from exhibitions if they don't conform to viewing height standards?

If so numerous layouts would be lost to the vast majority of the viewing public which I can only think would be bad for the hobby.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Julia said:

Your layout design is flawed then. That may be fine for home use, but you're talking about taking it to an exhibition, which is for the general public. Thus you have to bow to the considerations of the general public. 

J

No it isn’t flawed, and no I don’t have to bow to anyone. I take a layout to an exhibition because a manager asks for it to be there. They’re home layouts that go out on request from an exhibition manager, they’re not ‘exhibition’ layouts designed to go to shows. 

Three layouts have been to shows with no complaints, and winning one major award partly for the display and design element. 

Edited by PMP
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, PMP said:

No it isn’t flawed, and no I don’t have to bow to anyone. I take a layout to an exhibition because a manager asks for it to be there. They’re home layouts that go out on request from an exhibition manager, they’re not ‘exhibition’ layouts designed to go to shows. 

The exhibition manager has their priorities wrong... 

I'm so glad I gave up on exhibitions as a punter long ago. 

J

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Julia said:

The exhibition manager has their priorities wrong... 

I'm so glad I gave up on exhibitions as a punter long ago. 

J

Sorry,

but this deserves a 

picard-facepalm.jpg.2bc7708398a469e580c9974a4dc42899.jpg

• Like 6
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, Julia said:

Unfortunately the punters you are disadvantaging are the young, and those in wheel chairs. 

Nicely done!

Maybe have a think about how you can make a layout at about 1000mm more comfortable for your operators rather than ignoring those who aren't as able bodied as you? 

J

Err, that would be operator, me. I’m 1m75 tall and not getting any younger. The shows I attend allow me free admission and fellowship for the most part so there is no great monetary compensation for a weekend. My layout is a shunting layout rather than a roundy roundy so attracts a smaller crowd. FWIW I have had enthusiastic reception from a number of children on the autism spectrum. I’d love to make everybody happy but I’m just one layout in a hockey rink with a great mass of other attractions including G scale layouts on the floor. If that makes me selfish, as you seem to imply, then so be it.

Cheers,

David

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• AY Mod locked this topic