First Group wins the West Coast.

7 hours ago, Zomboid said:

I imagine Stadler could do a 125mph FLIRT bi-mode too.

But politically, keeping Newton Aycliffe in work for a little longer might be a significant factor.

The FLIRT's have apparently had issues to, which isn't necessarily a reason to rule them out - it certainly seems all the new trains have struggled to enter service and that would be another reason to go with one of the 3 current new items rather than something different.

Against the FLIRT might just simply be that no one in First Group have experience, the idea that an 800 or 397 could allow transfer of knowledge between First franchise employees easier.

Perhaps from a modeller perspective we should hope for either the 397 or FLIRT in the hope that the additional operator makes a model version more viable.

What would Transport for Wales say about extra services on there patch.

It works well at the moment for them to feed the traffic from Gobowen up to crewe for Pendolinos to take you to Euston?

Also why is it always seemed everyone wants to travel to London.

Ludlow handles more passengers then Gobowen, let's have a direct service to London from there!

Edited by matt-b

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, matt-b said:

It works well at the moment for them to feed the traffic from Gobowen up to crewe for Pendolinos to take you to Euston?

Also why is it always seemed everyone wants to travel to London.

Ludlow handles more passengers then Gobowen, let's have a direct service to London from there!

Has Ludlow in fact ever had the facility of a direct service to London ? Presumably as ever you have to travel via Hereford to Paddington or Shrewsbury to Euston.As I remember,Ludlow was a town on the West to North line.Expresses did not stop there..Now it has a frequent service by TfW.

I’m afraid the same case could be made for many other large centres of population across the UK.Just a legacy of how the railways were constructed in the 19thc. My own home town ,Burton on Trent,is a classic example of this and there are many others which can be quoted I am sure.

• RMweb Premium

"

It works well at the moment for them to feed the traffic from Gobowen up to crewe for Pendolinos to take you to Euston?"

A good question, whether via Chester or via Shrewsbury. But presumably DafT thought about that when agreeing the franchise - though of course they now don't have any say in TfW so perhaps they don't care.

Equally, what is to stop GWR extending its Hereford service along the Marches line and siphoning off TfW traffic from stations north of Hereford? Perhaps best not to suggest it.

Jonathan

4 hours ago, caradoc said:

On the other hand extra services, to more locations, and more capacity, will be provided from TfW stations, and surely that is what everyone wants, indeed demands, from the railway ?

Yes, more service is what is wanted.

The question really is in the financial impact - does the extra west coast services take away revenue that TfW needs/was budgeting for to offset some of the losses from other services.

This in the end is one of the side effects of a fragmented railway, where a change has the potential to financially benefit one operator while penalizing another.

In this case I have no idea what the effect will be, but there is the possibility that this could cost TfW money.

Edited by mdvle

On 18/08/2019 at 07:04, corneliuslundie said:

It works well at the moment for them to feed the traffic from Gobowen up to crewe for Pendolinos to take you to Euston?"

A good question, whether via Chester or via Shrewsbury.

The media release said Gobowen would be an extension of the existing Wrexham General service and only one per day from December 2022. I'm still puzzled about why such a small village (even taking into account Oswestry) would need a direct service to London via Wrexham and Chester when extending the Shewsbury service would be faster and get to London earlier.

EDIT: Unless it's a salami tactic to win favour with the Welsh Assembly as a means to an end, but to what end?

Cheers

David

Edited by DavidB-AU
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

As a resident of the North West I am sorry to see Virgin Trains go.  Locally I have the choice of three train operators,

Northern- hope the train runs,

TPE - unreliable and uncomfortably overloaded

Virgin - pretty reliable, good on board, good staff and excellent at sorting out any problems.

I am concerned that the new operator will bring things down to the level of the other two.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'll be sad to see Virgin go, whilst not perfect for the most part they've done an excellent job IMO. Customer service is good, trains tend to be well looked after and service levels good. I hope the new operator does a better job than LNWR, who inherited a fleet of immaculate Desiro sets and seems to have allowed them to degenerate into a filthy mess.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

I am looking forward to my Glasgow trip next year but am worried that the First offer might not match Virgin ,one thing that should be improved is the hot meal be reinstated on departure from Glasgow.I wonder what form the refurb will be,  hope the interiors will be brightened not bothered about external livery so lets hope that imagination is used and the result has wow factor.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, ess1uk said:

Who is in the bidding for the HS2 trains?

You mean build them or operate them?

If operate, it should be the current WCML franchise i.e. First Group, if it gets built during their tenure.

• 1 month later...

Shame to see them go  always had a good experience with them and the staff were brilliant friendly helpful and looked after you extremely well .thanks to everyone and hope the future works out.Be interesting to see Firsts offering and fares  watch this space.

• Agree 4

21 minutes ago, lmsforever said:

Shame to see them go  always had a good experience with them and the staff were brilliant friendly helpful and looked after you extremely well .thanks to everyone and hope the future works out.Be interesting to see Firsts offering and fares  watch this space.

The staff will be staying, they will just get a new, cheap uniform and the trains will get some new vinyls,  First cant really change many fares as they are regulated.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

one thing i do know is you cant collect nectar points after the franchise change!

ive got a 1st class ticket booked for the family for 22nd dec to go to london, be interesting to see if there are any changes to the customer service side of things, we normally go on a virgin family ticket which is £110 for 2 adults and 2 kids return crewe to london however i managed to get a 1st class family single for £100 and the return trip (on the quicker virgin service) for £30 for the 4 of us, worth the extra £20 to have a treat on the way down there (cant afford both ways!), it would be a shame if first were to get rid of the likes of the family ticket as it is very good value (although my eldest is 16 next year so we wont be eligable for them!) 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, DavidB-AU said:

Replacing Virgin red with crimson lake would be close enough.

Cheers
David

The Virgin branding has already been removed from some (all?) Pendos, which are running around "naked" in all over white.

• Agree 1