Dapol Class 58 in 'N'

Andy Y

58-1.jpg

Well this certainly looks the part, I've compared various angles against a selection of prototype images and this appears to be a very impressive rendition of a freight essential for those modelling the 1983 - 2001 time periods. Initial releases are in EWS, Railfreight red stripe, and coal sector liveries.

*Following pics do not have detail pack fitted

58a.jpg

The model features  twin flywheels, directional lighting, 6-pin DCC socket, super creep motor, low friction mechanism, NEM coupling pockets, internal cab detail and etched side grilles. The performance is exemplary and has the same slow speed performance capabilities as last year's Class 67 making it ideal for slow speed MGR operation.

Details and printing are well defined. In these close-up images the rivet detail around the windows seems heavy but is hardly discernible in reality - the perils of cruel close-ups.

58b.jpg

58c.jpg

58d.jpg

The included detailing pack contains the door side panel/handrail, long and short buckeye couplings, non working link couplings and appropriate hoses. The buffer beam detail is an easy fit but will require a small amount of superglue to fix in place.

Removal of the body for decoder fitting is straightforward, tucking a fingernail under each side of the cab and separating the body from the chassis easily removed the whole upper section. The directional lighting wiring is secured with plug/socket arrangements for complete separation of chassis and body.

58e.jpg

Another quality 'modern image' release to further the recent improvements enjoyed by 'N' gauge modellers. 

Stunning pics and write up andy.....

I only wanted to buy the coal sector and railfreight versions.... Untill i saw the EWS

So it looks im going to have to finish loads more jobs around the house for the

wifeohmy.gif

Any news on a release date?

• RMweb Premium

Looks fab. The EWS one should look ok with 3 or 4 MBA Megaboxes. Looking forward to one in triple grey too. I too wish had opportunity for one with 36x HAAs. Wonder what happened to the Class 56?

Oh no! Five weeks before the most expensive day of my life and the Dapol 58 suddenly is only days away!

Seriously though, it looks to be a very fine model and it appears Dapol has toned down the door handles and hinges, which is good to see. Better ask my bride-to-be whether I can afford 36 HAAs to go with it...

From what Andy describes above, the body removal is very similar to the forthcoming Class 86.

When we chipped one of these, the job was done in about a minute, with the most difficult step being to decide which way up the decoder went - it really is that easy to chip!

Thats a beauty and I can only see some minor glitches

- Buffer beam sides are too short (presumably to allow for bogie movement)

- The fitted deflector plates should have overhead flashes on them (58037 had something like 23 of the things on it which drove me nuts when I kit built one)

- Missing the little grille on the cab corner

Something is nagging me about the cabside windows too. Need to look at the drawings/photos a bit more.

Looks even better done than the 67, and it'll be a nice slam dunk for selling dummies (and for filling the dummy with speaker !)

I thought that the 58s were going to be delayed until a month after the 86s, or are they going to switch places? Given that there are specific 86 liveries I want (NSE, parcels, ICs, ICe, blue 86/1; 86/2; 86/4) and only four main 58 liveries I may wait for a ML58 or a second batch of Reds or coal sector. Nice model though!

Looks good, and seems easy to chip too. Did Andy have a go at chipping ? If so, what chip fitted in ?

I though the narrow body would make it a little difficult, but it looks to have plenty of room. It also appears to have connectors for the body/chassis lighting wires, rather than hard wiring. It seems that some thought has gone into letting us take the things apart easily - nice one.

Wasn't really a big fan of 58s, but this is tempting......

Thanks for posting this review Andy, it really looks the part. Having read your reviews of this and the 67, I wonder if we're going to see an Andy Y N gauge effort at some point...... (or should that be when, not if?)

Am looking forward to getting my pre-ordered one from C&M!

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Stunning pics and write up andy.....

I only wanted to buy the coal sector and railfreight versions.... Untill i saw the EWS

Any news on a release date?

I have the same on pre-order, this is the first time I've liked and been tempted by the EWS version but I reckon the balance will be restored if we see similar views of the other two liverieswink.gif

These should be on their way out to the retailers within days.

On the Dapol website shipping announcement posted today they're not mentioned, Dapol Dave did post not long ago that the 58's were being held over until the end of the month so that retailers wouldn't have two modern loco's from them at the same time - is that the "within days" I wonder (and hope too as I'd rather get the invoice after my next card statementlaugh.gif )

Regards, Gerry.

It's gonna get expensive with Dapol class 86s and 58s both due soon. Thankfully the scheduled delivery dates for the Farish stuff seems to have been put back a bit according to the last update on their website as I was also considering getting a Black 5. ;)

And all these new N gauge products are really pushing the boudaries with superlative fidelity and quality. Is anyone left doing OO and not considering N gauge? :D

G.

That looks very very nice. Just pre-ordered one of them and a couple of silver bullets. Hope they're in separate shipments, as this could get very pricey! biggrin.gif

Don't really need the 58, but it does look soooo nice

cheers

jo

I hope these do appear in the next few days :(

seems silly to keep them back till the end of the month, when they've arguably got more appeal than the 67's -

and they sold like hot-cakes (excuse the cliche)

hmmm

• RMweb Gold

I've got the Coal Sector one on order. Can't wait! Have been saving my pound coins and 50 pences since October. Now have £75! Nearly there. And itfeels good to save for something and not rely on the credit card. Pity the silver bullets are also due this month. The plastic will still have to take some of the strain.

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks for the review, Andy - that is really looking very fine indeed. The bodyside hinges look a lot less prominent than in the earlier pre-production pictures, though this may be the lighting. I can't wait to get one in original Railfreight grey smile.gif

This is getting very difficult. I have been over the last few weeks contemplating changing scales from 00 to N, and I think this has about sealed the deal for me

looks like all the 00 stuffs off to Ebay!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The coal sector and EWS versions should be in the shops in the first week of June. The Railfreight Red stripe will be delayed by a couple of weeks, due to rectifying the shade of red on the solebar.

Info from the horses mouth this morning a the N soc show/agm.

Archived