Bourton on the Water

Baggies1961

55 minutes ago, Baggies1961 said:

I invested in some Marcway Points please excuse my lack of knowledge of electrics, but are these relatively easy to wire up for DCC operation as the peco ones are albeit they have wiring fitted? Thanks in advance.

image.jpg

Unless there's a trick that I am unaware of, the crossing should be isolated in the same way these are:

P1010119.JPG.88dedde1605654e5f7cdc206ff0e737b.JPG

I built the outer two, the center turnout is a modified Peco with the jumpers between the closure rails and wing rails cut.

It looks neat but the lack of chairs is a bit jarring.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Baggies1961 said:

I invested in some Marcway Points please excuse my lack of knowledge of electrics, but are these relatively easy to wire up for DCC operation as the peco ones are albeit they have wiring fitted? Thanks in advance.

To make it behave like a modified Peco point for DCC, you would need to do the following:

Make a cut in the closure rails where the red line is, to isolate the common crossing (frog). Electrically join all of the common crossing and diverging rails together, (the area in blue) and connect a dropper to a switch or frog juicer. Make a link between the closure rails and associated stock rail, where the green lines are.

marcway-electric.jpg.2f1adbf4325d9ed95b3eec59727838ee.jpg

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

The other thing I notice is that there is no switch blade hinge.  Depending on the point motor this may be OK.  I think Tortoise or Cobalt will manage.  I have no experience with servos.  I'm quite sure solenoid motors won't do.

You can make a hinge by the simple expedient of cutting the rails at a suitable place and inserting a code 100 rail joiner.  Solder it at one place and add omega loops under the rails to bond the rails electrically.  The omega loops will stop the rails from sliding out.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1