Charlie Strong Metals (and Watery Lane Sidings)

• RMweb Premium

The flame cut edge looks great - very impressive. I agree using P4 wheels will make a big difference too. Perhaps also replace the tie bars between the axle guards with brass or nickel silver strip, for added delicacy?

Nick.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Once again Dave, exceptional work.

As you've said, using an old wagon with pizza-cutter wheels and mis-aligned brake gear just doesn't achieve the right effect.  As I once read about modelling scrapyards, you cannot create something realistic by just emptying the scrapbox; like anything else it requires care and forethought.

• Like 1

I am much happier with this part of the layout, even though it isn't finished, than I was with how it used to be. It looks better and now gives added operational interest by having the need to move wagons from what is now the storage road (where the Bogie Bolster is in he background) to the wagon cutting area. The end of the storage road, and the former cutting area, can now be used for storing out of use locomotives.

DSCF8630.JPG.b7ee7ebc3097decd191ee60b1a1271e1.JPG

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 18
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

1 hour ago, Ruston 48DS said:

The scrap looks excellent Ruston, I feel sorry for the guy with the broom.

My experience of scrapyards - George Cohen's at Cransley, Kettering - was that the last thing that you'd find there would be a brush !! Any 'tidying-up' would be done by a clapped-out front loader.

John Isherwood.

• Like 2

Just wondering re the upturned wagon chassis - having gone to the trouble of P4 wheels earlier, if the chassis sans wheels looks a bit odd now, with the inside of the axleboxes exposed, and quite clearly being 'solid', and designed for pinpoint axles? It detracts a bit from the scene.

Just a thought.... :scratchhead::good:

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

Just wondering re the upturned wagon chassis - having gone to the trouble of P4 wheels earlier, if the chassis sans wheels looks a bit odd now, with the inside of the axleboxes exposed, and quite clearly being 'solid', and designed for pinpoint axles? It detracts a bit from the scene.

Just a thought.... :scratchhead::good:

I haven't got the P4 wheels yet so it's still unfinished. The wheels shown previously were the Hornby wheels that the wagon came with. I need to wait until I need some loco wheels from Gibson's before I put in an order. There's no point in wasting postage costs for a couple of axles worth of wheels.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ruston said:

I haven't got the P4 wheels yet so it's still unfinished. The wheels shown previously were the Hornby wheels that the wagon came with.

Ah!! Looking back now at the relevant photo I can see the wheels are a lot coarser than they will be in P4, but as it is some decades since I last looked at Hornby wheels, I must say that they have improved somewhat from what I remember!!! :rolleyes:  ;)

Today's task was to make some use of a wagon that I bought a while ago. Before Christmas there were a load of Dapol/Airfix 16-ton minerals on sale in my local model shop for £3 a piece. Someone had built them all to instructions but had fitted 3-links. They were painted but none were numbered or otherwise finished. I bought one as the wheels and couplings were worth that alone.

I repainted and weathered it, cut off the naff door hinges and brakes. I raided my parts box and found various parts to enable some better brakes to be fitted and as another independent-braked example.

DSCF8662.JPG.bb58b810ad57ee20cc5174505ce10fd9.JPG

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 16
  • Round of applause 1

Just had a catch up of your thread and I got to say the latest scrap scene looks fantastic! Cracking weathering making every bit of metal and the wagon underframe look solid and heavy! Really love this layout. :good: 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The next work to be done on the layout will have to be an extension to the FY. It's becoming rather cramped and the shelf above left is also full of wagons. Apart from being generally too small, the other problem is that not all tracks are accessible from both scenic tracks. The two tracks entering the FY go to a pair of Wye points, of which one has a RH point. This means that two tracks can only access the outer curve and two the inner. Because the inner is so tight some wagons really aren't suited to it and the current set up limits movements, especially propelling moves by BR engines.

I am going to alter it so that everything meets at a single entry/exit point and then all tracks will be accessible from both inner and outer curves. This means also moving a large wall-mounted cabinet to the right of the FY.

DSCF8719.JPG.346f110f5da1907e1915aca1067eb671.JPG

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 12

22 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

"There is no such thing as 'Too many Mineral Wagons' ".

Discuss. :jester:

15 minutes ago, sb67 said:

A fine collection of rolling stock there :good:

It's a doctrine I actually firmly believe in, which can also be extended to Locomotives & Brake Vans (or Cabooses in my other life ;) ).

What I like about Dave's collection of 16 tonners is that no two of them are the same. :good:

• Agree 2

11 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

What I like about Dave's collection of 16 tonners is that no two of them are the same. :good:

They are mostly modelled from photos of actual wagons and carry the actual numbers to match the photos. I may invent frivolous things, such as locomotive liveries, but 16-ton minerals must be taken seriously. :lol:

23 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

"There is no such thing as 'Too many Mineral Wagons' ".

I used to think that but when they take up every road on your FY you start to think differently. Mind you, I still have four in the works and a pair of Diagram 1/100 minerals that may or may not donate their underframes to the (re)builds of 24-ton hoppers.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Ruston said:

They are mostly modelled from photos of actual wagons and carry the actual numbers to match the photos. I may invent frivolous things, such as locomotive liveries, but 16-ton minerals must be taken seriously. :lol:

I totally agree!

Mine are all going to be different too. I take it a step further and only model ones that I can prove visited the MSC Railway, either with a photo or a wagon label as evidence. It's the only way I can limit how many wagons I build!

The trouble is, I've already got too many wagons and what I really need to prioritise is finishing the locos to pull them, followed by a bigger trainset so there is space for more than 5 in a train.

Simpler to start another wagon than worry about such things...

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Ruston said:

I had a play with the layout, and the new Hornby Sentinel, plus new wagons off the workbench, last night.

RR378.jpg.d93a993b547ea258123062145949526d.jpg

It was the first proper run for the Sentinel as it didn't run properly after I put it all back together. I tracked the problem down to a faulty Stay Alive, which wasn't working and was also causing random short circuits. I replaced it and it's all fine now.

The Metal Box works is now receiving strip coil from Ebbw Vale wrapped in blue plastic.

KYV1c.jpg.5d974cbc36790a69b1df3d2956978b98.jpg

As usual, Dave. Superb,
Regards,
Chris.

• Agree 1