'Genesis' 4 & 6 wheel coaches in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

21 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Would it not be better to make the bare underframes available for scratch builders to fit their own bodies or aftermarket 3D bodies?  

That might well be the case, but in this instance, for clarification, I'm not asking Hattons to consider making / commissioning / supplying anything. I'm wondering whether there might be any demand for a modifying part from a separate source.

Edited by gr.king
Tidying up grammar!
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, woodenhead said:

I think for most people they are probably happy with the generic version, for those who it does matter more they either build their own from scratch or kits or would at least change the roof, the ventilators etc themselves.

I would look at these coaches as basically a starting point, how much of the coach remains is purely down to how important accurately profiled coaches are to you and for most who choose this route it is probably not that important.

Thanks for those thoughts. Some further clarification may be needed. Do you speak as one of those who actually uses, or plans to use, or who could be persuaded to use the so called GNR / LNER versions of these coaches?  If not, while you may well be correct (as I implied when I suggested that my original questions might be a waste of time), then the answers that really count may come from those who do actually wish to use RTR coaches to represent GNR vehicles.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, gr.king said:

Thanks for those thoughts. Some further clarification may be needed. Do you speak as one of those who actually uses, or plans to use, or who could be persuaded to use the so called GNR / LNER versions of these coaches?  If not, while you may well be correct (as I implied when I suggested that my original questions might be a waste of time), then the answers that really count may come from those who do actually wish to use RTR coaches to represent GNR vehicles.

I bought the GWR ones so one letter out but a world away in design.

And then promptly packed them into a bigger storage box which makes me ask why I bought them.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Graeme, I would certainly be interested. In fact I have one disassembled right now having removed the roof to take some measurements and photos just last week. I had been in touch with someone in the UK about 3D print models and I asked if they were interested in doing GNR shaped rooves for Genesis coaches !  I don't know if that will materialize or not.

I would be happy to discuss further if you are giving this serious thought. I have several Genesis coaches that would look much more GNR like with such a roof. You have my email address.

Tom

Edited by Dominion
missing word
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Incidentally on vents and lamps, they would differ between types of carriage both in the Genesis models and in real life. I was thinking that instead of pre-forming the holes or including dimples for locating the drill positions, it would be more versatile to have a smooth top. However there is nothing stopping location dimples or collars being molded on the underside of the roof.

Tom

• Agree 3

If the interior could be removed it would be a simple task of tapping the track connections of the function decoder to the contact strips buried between the interior and body shell. Another way of doing it would be take connections off the wheel contact strips on the chassis .

Thinking however a neater, less potentially clumsy in terms wiring, approach would be to get hold of another light board (when they come available] and using two of its plunger contacts fitted into two more holes in the existing coach light board - the track supply runs down either side of it.

Had a spoky Halloween with the Hornby coaches which all lit and refused to stay turned off, so they have been removed of their batteries.

The conductive couplings are a pretty short length which seemed to be a major problem until I came across these height adaptors for the Bachmann Prairie - https://mademe.co.uk/product/oo-Bachmann-prairie-nem-converter-4x-pkt/

Used in pairs, one inverted, gives a longer NEM shank around an additional Kadee Knuckle on a Kadee 20 so hoping that only one coupling in an adjoined pair will need doing.

Edited by Butler Henderson
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 month later...

With lots of the usual 'Sale Now On!' emails landing from the big retailers and Hornby itself it's interesting to note that a plentiful supply of the Hornby four- and six-wheel coaches are being heavily discounted, while Hattons Genesis rolling stock is much more scarce and seems to be commanding a chunky premium on eBay. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

59 minutes ago, OliverBytham said:

With lots of the usual 'Sale Now On!' emails landing from the big retailers and Hornby itself it's interesting to note that a plentiful supply of the Hornby four- and six-wheel coaches are being heavily discounted, while Hattons Genesis rolling stock is much more scarce and seems to be commanding a chunky premium on eBay. 

That's not exactly a surprise.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/12/2023 at 11:44, OliverBytham said:

Quality will out!

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Quality will out!

Whilst I absolutely %100 agree that "Quality will out", availability (numbers made) and subject must also be a factor.

Kev.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, SHMD said:

Whilst I absolutely %100 agree that "Quality will out", availability (numbers made) and subject must also be a factor.

Kev.

Rarity may be a function of absolute numbers, but I suspect a significant factor is the extent to which they were quickly sold out on pre-order.

• Agree 2

Thinking of how gorgeous the teaking on the Genesis GNR carriages turned out, and with a second running in the offing of ...

D96h-ueUEAAIEjI.jpg.306137179e7d6185f6ac067b8ddf08c4.jpg

I am surprised we are not seeing a train pack. The 4-wheel brake third and the 4-wheel 4-compartment coach in teak, with oil lamps would make a nice little set with the Bluebell P.

323_leam_stevel0130_7may16h(1).jpg.623a8b0fc40addc4d61094629ad0c8eb.jpg

• Like 10
  • Agree 5

11 minutes ago, Schooner said:

Is it possible that Preservation is an even smaller market than pre-Grouping?!

That's to over-think, I suggest. I mean, 'yes', but so what?

No one models the Huntley and Palmer Reading works, very few model the Isle of Wight Central Railway. Two examples of Hornby train packs, the latter with (inferior) generic coaches. Few may model the preservation scene, yet the Hattons P Class in blue is on its second run. It's attractive and collectable, as an individual model and, I suggest, probably no less in an exclusive train pack. 

Edited by Edwardian
grammar
  • Like 3
  • Agree 6

2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Thinking of how gorgeous the teaking on the Genesis GNR carriages turned out, and with a second running in the offing of ...

D96h-ueUEAAIEjI.jpg.306137179e7d6185f6ac067b8ddf08c4.jpg

I am surprised we are not seeing a train pack. The 4-wheel brake third and the 4-wheel 4-compartment coach in teak, with oil lamps would make a nice little set with the Bluebell P.

323_leam_stevel0130_7may16h(1).jpg.623a8b0fc40addc4d61094629ad0c8eb.jpg

I agree. A small rake of Bluebell LCDR/SER stock would be a treat!

Edit: Though I do not need Hattons to do a set of 16 coaches in LCDR livery. A box of 4 or maybe 6 would be more than enough.

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Schooner said:

Oh, I absolutely agree with all, and meant to highlight the success of 'niche' pregrouping vehicles, not cast shade on preservation!

Yes, I just think it's more about identifying the attractive models and combinations thereof, that people will go for, whether it fits with any pre-conceived area of interest or not.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Schooner said:

Oh, I absolutely agree with all, and meant to highlight the success of 'niche' pregrouping vehicles, not cast shade on preservation!

21 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

That's to over-think, I suggest. I mean, 'yes', but so what?

No one models the Huntley and Palmer Reading works, very few model the Isle of Wight Central Railway. Two examples of Hornby train packs, the latter with (inferior) generic coaches. Few may model the preservation scene, yet the Hattons P Class in blue is on its second run. It's attractive and collectable, as an individual model and, I suggest, probably no less in an exclusive train pack. 

These are generic coaches so if the numbers and details give a good fit to both preservation and pre-grouping days then we can use them in either/or situation.

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium

It's a great shame that Batch 3 will not now be produced and that the door now seems to be closed to bogie carriages, which, I understand, were under serious consideration.

• Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

It's a great shame that Batch 3 will not now be produced and that the door now seems to be closed to bogie carriages, which, I understand, were under serious consideration.

I've got some lighting units on order. I can say goodbye to those.

• Friendly/supportive 2