'Genesis' 4 & 6 wheel coaches in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

We've received our final decorated samples for the second batch of Genesis coaches - covering the LSWR salmon and brown liveried models.

You can see full 360 photos of all liveries here: https://bit.ly/3QcMWYi

Please note we have now placed our final order quantities with our factory, and many models are now sold out on pre-order. So pre-ordering is essential to ensure we can fulfill your models.

Cheers,

Dave

H4-6T-1301A_20231011123122_3525400_Qty1_1.jpg

H4-4C12-1301_20231011124340_3525392_Qty1_1.jpg

H4-4T-1301A_20231011123539_3525393_Qty1_1.jpg

H4-6BT-1301A_20231011123924_3525395_Qty1_1.jpg

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, Hattons Dave said:

We're delighted to reveal we received the OO gauge Carriage of the Year award in the Hornby Magazine Awards, hosted at the Great Electric Train Show over the weekend. 

Congratulations - very pleased to see quality and attention to detail being given due recognition.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 02/11/2023 at 15:07, JShow said:

An email from Hattons says delivery of the Batch 2 liveries has been delayed until May, 2024.

I hope this delay might be a sign that Hatton's are increasing their factory orders of these! Especially the Midland Railway ones, as they're all sold out on pre-order... clearly there is high demand.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, tractionman said:

I hope this delay might be a sign that Hatton's are increasing their factory orders of these! Especially the Midland Railway ones, as they're all sold out on pre-order... clearly there is high demand.

And the GE ones as well, all sold out on pre-order.

• Agree 1

Wondering if hattons will be considering rereleasing some popular batch 1 liveries again in batch 3 or 4? Second hand prices suggest plenty of demand. With a certain manufacturer rereleasing their Stirling Single, I have a desire for a full rake of gnr teak. Can't be the only one...

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Are there any unsold models from all batches? The reason I am asking is that I wish to modify some and the modifications would require a complete repainting anyway so the livery is unimportant. I want a four wheel brake third/full third and a six wheel third.

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Are there any unsold models from all batches? The reason I am asking is that I wish to modify some and the modifications would require a complete repainting anyway so the livery is unimportant. I want a four wheel brake third/full third and a six wheel third.

There's 6 wheel 3rds in NCB & CIE liveries

https://www.hattons.co.uk/492557/hattons_originals_h4_6t_1501a_6_wheel_3rd_in_ncb_blue/stockdetail

https://www.hattons.co.uk/1056103/hattons_originals_h4_6t_1701b_6_wheel_3rd_419_in_cie_dark_green/stockdetail

And 4 wheel brake 3rds in BR Crimson & LSWR liveries

https://www.hattons.co.uk/492550/hattons_originals_h4_4bt_1401b_4_wheel_brake_3rd_in_br_crimson/stockdetail

https://www.hattons.co.uk/492537/hattons_originals_h4_4bt_1301b_4_wheel_brake_3rd_in_lswr_salmon_and_brown/stockdetail

All due for delivery around May 2024

I haven't used it myself, but Hattons operate a 'wishlist,'  where they will email you if a particular (currently sold out) model becomes available, eg if someone cancels their order.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I may easily be wasting my time by asking these questions, but I'm prepared to try...

As has been mentioned many times, one of the major objections (if not the major objection) to use of these coaches to represent various vehicles built for some of the pre-group that later became part of the LNER is the shape of the simple low-arc roof.  The Howlden-era coaches of the GNR (including transfers to the ECJS and the M&GN),  the original "large stock" of the Eastern & Midland railway (later part of the M &GN), and various 6 wheelers of the North British Railway had "three centre round" or semi-elliptical roofs, with much more curvature near the edges. I find that this "stands out a mile" in photographs, even those taken from some distance.  In the case of the GNR vehicles, the style of the side panelling is also wrong, lacking the necessary squared corners, raised beading and deep waist band of panels, yet Hattons have chosen to present these vehicles as GNR examples or numbered as former GNR vehicles in alleged LNER brown, even though other LNER constituents had stock with low arc roofs. The panelling style is at least more nearly acceptable for M&GN large stock or the NBR. Then in all cases there's the question of layout of compartments, windows, doors, duckets, underframe details etc, but if we ignore all of those anomalies for the moment, my questions are these:

Among those who use, intend to use, or who would like to use these RTR vehicles to represent one of the above types of carriage, how many think that the compromise would become much more acceptable if an alternative, simple, clip-on roof of the right kind of profile were available (even if it left visible joints in the upper parts of the carriage ends)? How much extra per vehicle would buyers be willing to pay for a different roof? How many would be willing to have a go at fitting their own ventilators and lamp tops to a plain roof - possibly sourcing these by carefully pushing out from beneath the fittings from the standard roof?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, gr.king said:

I may easily be wasting my time by asking these questions, but I'm prepared to try...

As has been mentioned many times, one of the major objections (if not the major objection) to use of these coaches to represent various vehicles built for some of the pre-group that later became part of the LNER is the shape of the simple low-arc roof.  The Howlden-era coaches of the GNR (including transfers to the ECJS and the M&GN),  the original "large stock" of the Eastern & Midland railway (later part of the M &GN), and various 6 wheelers of the North British Railway had "three centre round" or semi-elliptical roofs, with much more curvature near the edges. I find that this "stands out a mile" in photographs, even those taken from some distance.  In the case of the GNR vehicles, the style of the side panelling is also wrong, lacking the necessary squared corners, raised beading and deep waist band of panels, yet Hattons have chosen to present these vehicles as GNR examples or numbered as former GNR vehicles in alleged LNER brown, even though other LNER constituents had stock with low arc roofs. The panelling style is at least more nearly acceptable for M&GN large stock or the NBR. Then in all cases there's the question of layout of compartments, windows, doors, duckets, underframe details etc, but if we ignore all of those anomalies for the moment, my questions are these:

Among those who use, intend to use, or who would like to use these RTR vehicles to represent one of the above types of carriage, how many think that the compromise would become much more acceptable if an alternative, simple, clip-on roof of the right kind of profile were available (even if it left visible joints in the upper parts of the carriage ends)? How much extra per vehicle would buyers be willing to pay for a different roof? How many would be willing to have a go at fitting their own ventilators and lamp tops to a plain roof - possibly sourcing these by carefully pushing out from beneath the fittings from the standard roof?

Would it not be better to make the bare underframes available for scratch builders to fit their own bodies or aftermarket 3D bodies?  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, gr.king said:

I think for most people they are probably happy with the generic version, for those who it does matter more they either build their own from scratch or kits or would at least change the roof, the ventilators etc themselves.

I would look at these coaches as basically a starting point, how much of the coach remains is purely down to how important accurately profiled coaches are to you and for most who choose this route it is probably not that important.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2