Class 37, by Accurascale

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I've not looked back to see what that references but Concrete Bob landed here for review today and when the sound was first turned on the start-up process worked until the first main engine and exhaust sounds started and cut off after a second or two. I tried several times with system restarts with the same result.

Then, I started the loco moving before turning sound on and got full running sounds. Spooling the loco down after stopping and on the next start-up everything worked as expected, several times over.

The sound is phenomenally good, proper throaty!

There is a cold start function - but seeminly it isn’t working (as reported by some) - as well as some other functions not being where the card states they are!

seen a fair few sound videos now, but not one featuring the cold start.

So my assumption is, something isn’t right somewhere in the CVs.

just wondered if someone had got to the bottom of it. Mine are due tomorrow 

• RMweb Premium

I Assume someone has tried making F8 a toggle, then turned the Engine on - still no cold start?

A 37 Cold start is a particular highlight, so I am certainly keen to get that working or understand how it works for when mine arrive.

The lack of Official statement on it, is a little odd as @Accurascale Fran and @McC are usually on the ball. So this has me slightly worried its either missing or they don’t know why its not working! 

40 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Please retain some sense of perspective, any more silly outbursts and I'll remove your access to the topic.

You’ve taken part of what I’ve said, and deemed it a silly outburst?!? 

I wasn’t aware I’d said anything wrong… my apologies if I’ve said something out of turn.

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Awes0mesauce said:

I Assume someone has tried making F8 a toggle, then turned the Engine on - still no cold start?

A 37 Cold start is a particular highlight, so I am certainly keen to get that working or understand how it works for when mine arrive.

The lack of Official statement on it, is a little odd as @Accurascale Fran and @McC are usually on the ball. So this has me slightly worried its either missing or they don’t know why its not working! 

Fran is on a plane to Dortmund right now :) , but that aside, the manual shows either Cold Start or Wheel Slip on startup on F8, which is a latching toggle. The Locos with the refurbished file have the cold start, the others, the slip. Hope that helps!

• Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, McC said:

Fran is on a plane to Dortmund right now :) , but that aside, the manual shows either Cold Start or Wheel Slip on startup on F8, which is a latching toggle. The Locos with the refurbished file have the cold start, the others, the slip. Hope that helps!

@McC are you able to share which particular skus from the 1st 3 arrivals are setup with which?

Also are the projects different, or can the function of F8 be changed from one to other with a CV change?

Thanks

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, McC said:

When decoders are available, will there be options for which version to buy?

Hi Fran, Steve et al. 
just received my Regional Railways 37 today DCC fitted. My lovely wife has treated me to this but admittedly when ordering pressed the DCC fitted and not the DCC Sound version. Im not worried at all as ive just also received the speaker and will await the Loksound decoder for the 37 to become available in due course. Unfortunately i cant hear the lovely sound but every cloud has a silver lining. 
In the spirit of sharing wealth around and wanting to keep local businesses thriving i have ordered two sound fitted class 37's (Haviland and Spirit) from Rainbow in 2022. They are due to be delivered tomorrow

all i can say at this point, albeit a quiet loco is that these are something else in terms of detail, livery and accuracy. I didnt need the Regional Railways loco but im so smitten with these that i have ordered four from run 2 and a couple of Exclusives as well. 

top job to Accurascale. It would be good to get an update on the Loksound decoders and maybe even open up a PRE-Order Book Fran !!!

Edited by Krieghoff
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Now theres dedication,going to get the sound decoders from ESU personally..........stop moaning you lot.

Yeah, but will he deliver them personally? That would be dedication.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, McC said:

Firstly,

Thank you for replying. I am a big Accurascale fan, but this decision seems odd to me.

One does not outweigh the other (non-refurbished locos had cold starts, refurbished locos still got wheelslip). The design choice is so unusually out of place, I have to assume this was some sort of technical limitation rather than an actual choice - lack of space for sound files, lack of access to cold starting locos of different states etc ?

Although you don’t have to explain, I’m intrigued to know why - as I say, my only logical explanation is that its a technical one.

and even then, it had to be specific, because - until ModelU start making miniatures that can open cab doors and when Accurascale start making then open, i’d much rather the choice of having iconic sounds for Cold starts and wheel slippage (both) than a door sound of it closing, without the door moving.

The last part being in jest of course. But when you think of a 37 (to me at least) my first thought is of its cold starts. For a sound loco not to have it or have a choice between that and wheel Slipping, seems really odd to me.

Sorry - not trying to be a negative nancy. As I say, I am a big AS fan - this choice just has me puzzled.

Edited by Awes0mesauce
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I've had two bits of luck. Due to this thread I was able to score a Carl de Haviland from Hattons when they had two left, only DCC ready not sound. But then today had a call from Rainbow Railways who I had a Spirit on order with and they said they had a spare sound version, so I've upgraded to sound. Can't wait to get them and play with them. Just hope the delivery company can find my house. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, nightstar.train said:

I've had two bits of luck. Due to this thread I was able to score a Carl de Haviland from Hattons when they had two left, only DCC ready not sound. But then today had a call from Rainbow Railways who I had a Spirit on order with and they said they had a spare sound version, so I've upgraded to sound. Can't wait to get them and play with them. Just hope the delivery company can find my house. 

The chaps at Rainbow are a good sort. Ive got Haviland and Spirit both sound on their way to me. delivery tomorrow. I have nothing but praise for Colin and Mike. Two top fellas. 

Edited by Krieghoff
typo
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, nightstar.train said:

rainbow are fab - their courier choice, at least in my area, not so much. So if it is APC Overnight I pray for you. They prioritise business addresses, so if theres the slightest hold up they won’t be kind and update the status to explain, instead just leave it as out for delivery.

on the rare occassion that has happened with DPD, they upgraded me to be first on the round on the following day - APC, delivered 2 days later at 16:58 and the driver told me I was Lucky to get it as 2 minutes later he wouldn’t have dropped it….

so yea, i pray for you 😂 

Edited by Awes0mesauce

4 hours ago, McC said:

I think you mean the other way round @McC , My 37419 is reburnished and F8 definitely provokes a slipping sound (great fun!) not a Cold start - look forward to the 37/0s arriving with the other sound set. 

Without wishing to see any further toys thrown out of prams, yes the speaker within the both Deltic and 37 is the same unit which has been called by others the "EM1". However, my loco sounds much better than my own EM2 installs which surprised me! 

All good fun.

Bruce 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hello everyone,

Firstly thank you for the kind comments about our team at Rainbow Railways. Colin, Mike and I are all modellers and we try our best to make sure we can get enough models that you all want and provide a good service. Special thanks to Patrick and Stephen for sorting out our trade orders and getting them

out so quickly. All our trade order of these first three had sold out but Mike purchased a few extra via the customer side when they became available to try and ensure everyone got one at the normal price that had been after them. I think we have one 37423 left over on our website to purchase now.

I have to say I’m delighted to get my hands on 37419 with sound. I saw the real loco at Derby last year sat in the yard at Loram on a test train. What the photos don’t do justice is the depth of detail on the bogies and underframe pipe work. The full springs and brake actuators are very nicely done. The nose end detail is good and captures the modern 37/4’s under DRS well. 

The lighting features are good on DCC and I do like the lit dials in the cab. The sound is very impressive, the bassy speaker just gives it a presence and even sat idling away you can’t help but smile. Morecambe is only 4ft on the scenic section but setting it off and using the drive hold feature on F7 you can open it up and the thrash is excellent. I’m very impressed with it and in my opinion it’s the best RTR sound fitted model yet. 

All the best

Mark

B2C4D57A-0E8C-493A-AEF6-7F75D3F56CD8.jpeg

87C26D51-1B1C-4A62-BCEC-653D7E111BB0.jpeg

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, D400 said:

I think you mean the other way round @McC , My 37419 is reburnished and F8 definitely provokes a slipping sound (great fun!) not a Cold start - look forward to the 37/0s arriving with the other sound set. 

Without wishing to see any further toys thrown out of prams, yes the speaker within the both Deltic and 37 is the same unit which has been called by others the "EM1". However, my loco sounds much better than my own EM2 installs which surprised me! 

All good fun.

Bruce 

That comment also confused me, as all 3 of these are refurbs, with the cut away front and buffer detail and half height grills. So based on that, @McC must have got it reversed and I assume that means NONE of these releases have the cold start, with the first ones being the next batch and Scottish 37s.

That is somewhat disappointing and I appeal to AS to ensure the Cold Start and Slipping are both in future runs, rather than one or the other.

i still find that decision baffling and hopefully Fran and Co can shed some light on it.

Still, its a super model and I cannot wait. 

Edited by Awes0mesauce
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

On the topic of decoders for the 37s, does anyone have a recommendations for the best value (cheapest!) non-sound decoders for the DCC Ready locos please?

I've got a stash of Hattons 21-Pin 'Direct' chips but I was wondering if these may fit or if they need to be those 'MTC' ones (Dapol Imperium?), what would you guys all recommend? I'm not looking to use many functions beyond having the headlight & headcode box marker lights in the direction of travel if that helps reduce functions needed!

Many thanks in advance!

James

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Accurascale normally release a configured non-sound DCC decoder which is set up for all the lights and not a bad price either. I have one in my non-sound 92 and I expect a 37 one soon.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, James Makin said:

On the topic of decoders for the 37s, does anyone have a recommendations for the best value (cheapest!) non-sound decoders for the DCC Ready locos please?

I've got a stash of Hattons 21-Pin 'Direct' chips but I was wondering if these may fit or if they need to be those 'MTC' ones (Dapol Imperium?), what would you guys all recommend? I'm not looking to use many functions beyond having the headlight & headcode box marker lights in the direction of travel if that helps reduce functions needed!

Many thanks in advance!

James

Accurascale build their locos to the DCC standard so you won’t need a MTC decoder. However the Hatton decoders you have only 6 functions. So if you use it in the 37 you’ll not be able to access all the lighting features. 

• Informative/Useful 1