Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

Class 37, by Accurascale

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

And the longer time passed by the more changed so worse for those modelling in Post TOPs periods …. Ought to be easy for us pre TOPs boys but it isn’t….

just look at the class 69… theres only 8 so far… and 10 versions, yet the oldest has only been running 2 years.

Edited by adb968008

2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Yes - all the EE Type 3s delivered to the WR had Western style lamp irons irrespective of which factory built them.  Some - I'm not siure which ones - also had the WR standard (for its later mainline diesels)  headboard fittings but the main (?only?) regular use of these was for the spotlight fitting used on the Central Wales line..  On some locos the headboard/spotlight fitting lasted longer than WR lamp irons  and such locos acquired a standard tail lamp bracket much lower down while still on the Western.

As ever it needs reliably dated photos of individual locos.

Nos D6819 thru D6938 were built with WR headboard clips on the upper nose ends. These were intended as mixed traffic locos and were intended to have steam heating boilers. A large number either did not receive boilers or else had them removed early in their careers. The boilers were,  I'm pretty sure, fitted to class 47s which were in construction at the time. I have a list of the numbers somewhere.

The last 80 class 37s; D6939 to 6999 and D6600 to 6608; were intended not to be boiled so did not have WR headboard clips. The oddity was a small batch which went to Sheffield division. These were D6959 to 6968, later 37259 to 268. These did have boilers fitted, probably removed from early split box locos (tentatively suggest D6701 to 6710) but whether from new or early in their careers  I'm not sure. As a result, these 10 locos received the single top centre headboard brackets (often erroneously called lamp brackets). The rest of the last 80 did not carry these brackets but there were two bolts attached to each end to allow the brackets to be fitted if required. Interestingly (well I think so) only locos from this batch onward were converted to 37/4s whilst only locos numbered before 37259 were refurbished as 37/5, 37/7 or 37/9. Does anyone know why?

One more thing to note is the oddity of 37247, later 37671. This loco received a boiler some time in the 1970s  so I have read. This made the loco unique amongst the class as for some time it had a boiler but no headboard fixing of any kind on the nose end. This would be because headboards were pretty much abolished by the time the boiler was fitted. Members of the batch with the top centre headboard clips generally carried them for life, including those which became 37/4 and indeed some still do to this day.

Hope this helps

Kevin

Edited by apollo 079
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Ive not seen any pictures of 37’s carrying headboards in the 1960’s… did they ?

indeed aside of early days of the Warships (late 50’s, early 60’s) ive not seen many WR diesels carrying headboards… I cant find any Westerns carrying headboards as side of railtours.

When did the WR eliminate use of headboards ?

18 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Ive not seen any pictures of 37’s carrying headboards in the 1960’s… did they ?

indeed aside of early days of the Warships (late 50’s, early 60’s) ive not seen many WR diesels carrying headboards… I cant find any Westerns carrying headboards as side of railtours.

When did the WR eliminate use of headboards ?

I think it was probably a BRB 1960s directive that locos which were intended to work passenger trains should have one or other (or in the case of class 45/46s both) headboard fixing just in case it was wanted. The Sheffield allocated batch I think were intended to work trains over Woodhead after the EM2s went to the Netherlands or possibly the same trains East/South of Sheffield Victoria, but that's just a guess.

The Western Region was still using headboards, for the Cornish Riviera Express anyway, into class 50 days and as late as 1978. Having said that these were of the curved style. 

Edited by apollo 079
Info

On 17/07/2023 at 22:13, 55020 said:

To swap the current function mapping of F29 & F2 on the AS Class 37 decoder the following CVs should be changed:

CV31 = 1, CV32 = 1
----------------------
CV316 =   6

CV31 = 16, CV32 = 8
----------------------
CV340 =   8
CV346 =   0

CV31 = 16, CV32 = 10
----------------------
CV356 =   0
CV362 =  32

Steve

Brilliant, will try this at the weekend. Thanks very much. 

16 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

D1000 has a picture with a tail lamp on, running LE.

I think Lima must have used the same image as refence as there model has it moulded on.

Also note, though slightly off OT, Western, by the BR blue days, had an extra bar welded on to the WR lamp irons on the secondman's side to allow a BR standard lamps to be attached.

• Agree 1

On 13/07/2023 at 17:07, McC said:

The DCC function list is in the manual / loco pack (and available to download under the product guides link on the website) Hope that helps!

Are the accurathrash speakers still due this week? Waiting to order a sound chip but wanted to order both together :)

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, meatloaf said:

Are the accurathrash speakers still due this week? Waiting to order a sound chip but wanted to order both together :)

37 sound chips appear to be sold out now as well?

I was just about to purchase a couple of 37s, one with sound and another I can only get without sound.

Not sure if original and refurbished sound chips will be available again?

1 minute ago, zr2498 said:

37 sound chips appear to be sold out now as well?

I was just about to purchase a couple of 37s, one with sound and another I can only get without sound.

Not sure if original and refurbished sound chips will be available again?

Thats annoying as they were there this morning. Maybe theyve just marked them out of stock so there not a huge build up of orders while they send the 37s out?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, apollo 079 said:

The last 80 class 37s; D6939 to 6999 and D6600 to 6608; were intended not to be boiled so did not have WR headboard clips. The oddity was a small batch which went to Sheffield division. These were D6959 to 6968, later 37259 to 268. These did have boilers fitted, probably removed from early split box locos (tentatively suggest D6701 to 6710) but whether from new or early in their careers  I'm not sure. As a result, these 10 locos received the single top centre headboard brackets (often erroneously called lamp brackets). The rest of the last 80 did not carry these brackets but there were two bolts attached to each end to allow the brackets to be fitted if required. Interestingly (well I think so) only locos from this batch onward were converted to 37/4s whilst only locos numbered before 37259 were refurbished as 37/5, 37/7 or 37/9. Does anyone know why?

Hi Kevin,

To answer your query, here's some info from our Class 37 project manager, Gareth Bayer:

The last 50 EE Type 3s built (from D6959 onwards) were given the Series 3 designation due to having a voltage balance wheelslip control system rather than the current balance system fitted to the Series 1 (split headcode) and Series 2 (other centre headcode) machines. That would suggest that BR wanted to keep the two types separate when it came to the refurbishment programme. I don't know if this is because the different systems were considered better for certain duties or if it was simply for standardisation.

HTH!

In relation to the speakers and sound decoders. The speakers have arrived at our warehouse and will go back on the website on the coming days.

The decoders have been taken off sale for now due to the flange squeal hall sensor issue customers are finding with the decoders purchased separately. This is down to a firmware issue with ESU and these decoders need to be updated.

Suffice to say that anyone who has already bought one will be contacted in due course about having their decoder reblown to activate it. Confirmation of the cause of this issue was only established this morning, so please give us some time to get all this set up for you. Thank you for your patience and we will also have the corrected decoders back on sale in due course.

Cheers!

Fran 

Edited by Accurascale Fran
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 6
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Super-Sloth said:

To save me wading through 200+ pages, can anyone recall reading when the original green / green + yellow versions are scheduled to arrive?

Thanks in advance! 👍 

image.png.c7627cda97b5fff3301d525203745ac8.png

• RMweb Premium

DHL brought me something nice this morning.

After the 37s were first announced at the end of 2019, 37 027 Loch Eil, 37 409 Lord Hinton and 37 423 went onto my wish list.   027 because I had worked in Oban for a time during the era of 37 haulage there and 409 and 423 because in more recent years, living nearer to Carlisle, I had travelled behind those to and from Whitehaven a few times.

Initially I ordered only 409 and paid a deposit.   Later in 2020 a doubt as to affordability arose and Accurascale were good enough to accept my request to cancel my order and refund my deposit.   By the time I decided I would definitely go ahead with purchasing they were all sold out on pre-order at Accurascale, but I managed to source 409 and 423 from different retailers.   With 409 and 423 paid in full some time ago I was now on the lookout for 027.   Last week Accurascale had a few more listed on their website and I was successful in obtaining this one which arrived today.   Already test run on my little layout with a pair of Bachmann Mark 1s and all OK and still to add the detailing.  423 has already been here for around two months now and next to arrive, hopefully soon, will be 409.

53056946141_7296c1bfaf_o.jpg

Edited by cessna152towser
  • Like 9

4 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Yes - all the EE Type 3s delivered to the WR had Western style lamp irons irrespective of which factory built them.  Some - I'm not siure which ones - also had the WR standard (for its later mainline diesels)  headboard fittings but the main (?only?) regular use of these was for the spotlight fitting used on the Central Wales line..  On some locos the headboard/spotlight fitting lasted longer than WR lamp irons  and such locos acquired a standard tail lamp bracket much lower down while still on the Western.

As ever it needs reliably dated photos of individual locos.

The WR lost a good number of these class 37 locos to the NER and ScR in 1966 (around 50+ in the D6819 onwards range and a few D690x) - does anyone know if those regions had to have lamp irons (well one at least on each loco) altered to enable the standard BR pattern tail lamp to be carried running ld? 

7 hours ago, MidlandRed said:

The WR lost a good number of these class 37 locos to the NER and ScR in 1966 (around 50+ in the D6819 onwards range and a few D690x) - does anyone know if those regions had to have lamp irons (well one at least on each loco) altered to enable the standard BR pattern tail lamp to be carried running ld? 

Usually altered with the add of a warming torch. Other had standard BR lamp brackets added lower down.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, 45125 said:

Usually altered with the add of a warming torch. Other had standard BR lamp brackets added lower down.

Dont recall seeing altered WR lamp irons on 37s …. Standard lamp irons were usually added lower down , either 1 or 2 . Some locos eg 6844 in Scotland had a full set of everything… 2 WR headboard clips, 2 WR lamp irons and 2 BR lamp irons. There’s just no pattern to it! See Brush Veterans wonderful album

Brush veterans EE3 photos on Flickr

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, WCML100 said:

Any chance of a West Coast Railways example... ? 😆

I can't be the only one waiting on one of these?

Back of the queue please, back of the queue...

[Bloomin' purple nonsense...]

:-)

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, WCML100 said:

Any chance of a West Coast Railways example... ? 😆

I can't be the only one waiting on one of these

You are not the only one!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, dasatcopthorne said:

Dear Accurascale.

As someone who has pre ordered 37001 with sound, please could you give an update on delivery please.

Dave.

End of August was the last update.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 19/07/2023 at 12:06, James Makin said:

Plus with some locos, the tumblehome steps were plated on one side only (37057 I've tackled like this!) so it goes to show there's a lot of modelling fun ahead for us all, with these high fidelity models raising the bar, you can't just slap a random number on a loco these days! 😄

Cheers

James

Plus the kiccking strip/platte on RSH built locos differed from earlier Vulcan Foundry built locos.

Edited by The Stationmaster
typo
  • Like 1