Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

Class 37, by Accurascale

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

Thats really helpful.

Can you possibly post the part numbers - is it backing plus frame surrounds as one piece, or do you have to fit the surrounds?

Presumably lazer-glaze going in?

I'm contemplating fitting Shawplan reinforced windows (so whatever the alternative to your setup would be) to mine as there is something that is a little jarring in the shape, but I can't figure out what. Looking very closely to blow-up photos, I sense that, for the reinforced centre window at least, the Accurascale version it is a little under-sized - the frame should go right up to the yellow (or actually indent it a little), and it doesn't... Don't know if anyone else has similar eyesight.

These are the parts.

5E9FCF16-46B3-423D-A6D1-C18F101E9799.jpeg.27bf222ad1a5bf9a647b07c852d1431b.jpeg

The backplates shouldn’t be required as the Shawplan screens themselves just fit with a slight interference fit, which means the original moulding is very close indeed to the real thing. My slight beef with the original toughened screen moulding is that it doesn’t sit as flush with its surroundings as the early screen moulding does, and that catches my eye. If I were continuing to model the toughened screen prototype, I’d remove the existing screen moulding, fettle it so it sits in there a little flusher and stick it back in. 

I have enquired about the early screen mouldings being made available as spares but they are not at this stage, hence why I’m considering Shawplan screens for this project. I’m also trying to preserve the paint job as much as I can.

I remember seeing the first DRS 37s with the toughened screens in the real world and thinking they looked a little odd at the time.

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Sounds like the beginning of a plan to release a new improved Accurascale Accurascale class 37 that will make everyone sell their existing Accurascale class 37s and buy them all over again - now that's how you make money with model trains.

I think there’s a potential good trade in spare roofs, windscreens, buffers and other detail parts so you can make something different and unique from a given model. I’ve already swapped the roof on my Accurascale 37066 so I can count the correct number of rivets on those cold winter nights to come. Wouldn’t it be great to be able to get parts like that direct from the manufacturer.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Here'a a comparison between the Shawplan original screen etch and the Accurascale toughened screens. Bear in mind that the toughened screens behind will protrude inwards from behind the original style etched frames and you can see that they correspond closely except for a little height in the central window and perhaps the upper corners of the driver and secondman's windows. The lower curve seems to differ but it sits flush with the Accurascale bonnet top when fitted. Also bear in mind the etch has been used in a number of trial fittings so had been handled a bit.

I did a similar test with the Bachmann 37 glazing units and found on their 37 that the driver and secondman's windscreens are narrower than the Shawplan screens by about 0.15mm. The AS screens are perhaps a fraction wider.

Both models are so close that I'm not bothered about installing Shawplan screens on the bulk of the fleet, only the one that I wish to convert to a different time period and I'll swap for the AS moulding if one becomes available. I have been in discussions regarding a swap with a green splitbox 37, but it may be too late when they land. They still have first dibs on a set of toughened screens if I do fit Shawplan, so don't worry about that if you're reading this 🙂.

image.png.cc9ad471a012373c7cd0aaaddc044e03.png

Edited by 97406
0.15mm not 1.5mm!
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, 97406 said:

I think there’s a potential good trade in spare roofs, windscreens, buffers and other detail parts so you can make something different and unique from a given model. I’ve already swapped the roof on my Accurascale 37066 so I can count the correct number of rivets on those cold winter nights to come. Wouldn’t it be great to be able to get parts like that direct from the manufacturer.

I recently enquired via support if round buffers would be available as spares once the green batch of 37s were released. Unfortunately I was told that they don’t sell spares and they will only be available as warranty claims :(

I think this is a real shame and a missed opportunity 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, 37081LochLong said:

I recently enquired via support if round buffers would be available as spares once the green batch of 37s were released. Unfortunately I was told that they don’t sell spares and they will only be available as warranty claims :(

Or a future opportunity. The modular design lends itself well to being worked on.

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, 37081LochLong said:

Watch this space. 

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, 37081LochLong said:

I would have thought in the initial stages of delivery then spares would be held back for warranty work, but as time passes and the need to retain the spares diminishes then selling them to anyone who wants (or needs) them is an income against the cost of generating those spares in the first place.

Edit: i.e. a buffer is only likely to be a warranty claim upon first delivery, if it comes away after use by the owner because they've dropped it, that's not under warranty though I think Accurascale have been known to go above and beyond on customer service.

Edited by woodenhead
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

I would have thought in the initial stages of delivery then spares would be held back for warranty work, but as time passes and the need to retain the spares diminishes then selling them to anyone who wants (or needs) them is an income against the cost of generating those spares in the first place.

Edit: i.e. a buffer is only likely to be a warranty claim upon first delivery, if it comes away after use by the owner because they've dropped it, that's not under warranty though I think Accurascale have been known to go above and beyond on customer service.

I'm hoping that they become available as I have two class 37s sat waiting for round buffers :)

18 hours ago, 97406 said:

I’ll check them out for sure. I’m not rushing this one, I’ll take plenty of time over it. The next job is to fill the MW recess on the nose ends hopefully without affecting any of the existing details and too much of the surrounding paint. 

I just bought a bunch of different diameters and lengths because they will come in hand I'm sure but the 1.5mm + 2mm diameter ones I think it is seem to be ideal replacement lenses for quite a few models

Take a look here https://podingcorp.en.alibaba.com/productgrouplist-820925231/Hole_DIA_1_0_2_0mm.html?spm=a2700.shop_cp.88.35

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Bucoops said:

Spares are labour and capital intensive so would need planning well so they at least break even, let alone a little profit.

They’re just components so just produce a small surplus along with those components required for manufacture. The spares that are already sent out for warranty and goodwill will have been sourced that way. What has been done for 37 roof hinges and Deltic horns can also be done for buffers, roofs and windscreens.

Edited by 97406

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 97406 said:

They’re just components so just produce a small surplus along with those components required for manufacture.

Not that easy I’m afraid @97406 as those parts are scattered through the tools, often being on a sprue with other larger components, to fill up the space in the tool. So effectively, we have to produce more, almost complete, models. Fine for the small quantities needed to cover spares needed for the initial batch, but not effective for retail. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Islesy said:

Not that easy I’m afraid @97406 as those parts are scattered through the tools, often being on a sprue with other larger components, to fill up the space in the tool. So effectively, we have to produce more, almost complete, models. Fine for the small quantities needed to cover spares needed for the initial batch, but not effective for retail. 

I see, yes that makes sense. A fascinating insight into the manufacturing process too.

Edited by 97406

On 17/08/2023 at 11:23, 37081LochLong said:

I'm hoping that they become available as I have two class 37s sat waiting for round buffers :)

The new tooling class 20 buffers and shanks from the brand that shall remain nameless on this thread fit perfectly  

• Informative/Useful 2

27 minutes ago, sulzer71 said:

The new tooling class 20 buffers and shanks from the brand that shall remain nameless on this thread fit perfectly  

Thanks, pity they aren't in stock.

I looked for their 37 buffers recently but you have to buy them with the chassis too