Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

Class 37, by Accurascale

On 21/01/2024 at 21:23, McC said:

We actually have extensive parts of everything that usually needs replacing but as almost every loco has a unique body config it’s not a case of one size fits all. If you’ve smashed a body we could maybe try repair for you but it’s simply not viable to hold painted body shells just in case someone has an accident down the line. I’m sure the support team can provide options and proposals for you. 

Thank you for your message, but why Bachmann have a lot of body in stock for each model’s ? 
an accident or a painting error is always possible… 

I therefore find that not having any stock (even a body) is not very serious. Especially since I wasn't necessarily asking for a body of 37026, but at least 37/0. I don't see what solution you are going to be able to give me. but I hope it's possible...

regards.

Edited by Module00
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 hours ago, 55020 said:

Then the truth arrives:

The post from AS was totally in line with what I thought it would be.  Why do some modellers come on here and spout what amounts at best to be exaggerations, the kind of which can do damage to a business trying its best for all of us modellers.  I simply don't understand!

Steve

quite simply because AS does not agree to pay for a high-level model, of which,

first  the sound of the horns and brake is really bad

second : I am not satisfied with the after-sales service.

Don't I have the right to give a feeling? a brand can improve it, seems to me, it's up to you to love it, free to me to make an average evaluation and objection. 

have fun with your models and let me speak about my problem with accurascale (who is on forum) which I don't think needs a lawyer.

thank you and have a great evening.

Edited by Module00
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, Module00 said:

have fun with your models and let me speak about my problem with accurascale (who is on forum) 

Please do it via PM.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kaput said:

As an example, the ESU manual says AUX9 needs to be set to Power Pack Control for a stayalive but the Accurascale 37 has AUX9 as a working light while still having a working stayalive. I have no clue how that works.

Is it a stayalive, i.e. a capacitor and diode/resistor set up as per the ESU instructions (below  right, pins on the 21MTC also correspond to mass and U+), or an ESU Power pack (which requires AUX9)? I don't think the former needs the controlling output from the decoder. Just because ESU designed the circuit doesn't mean they picked a PowerPack off the shelf and put it in the model.

Screenshot_20240122_232157_AdobeAcrobat.jpg.6af36cdb02d13748a5cb2cdb6b9276d5.jpg

Edited by TomScrut

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Is it a stayalive, i.e. a capacitor and diode/resistor set up as per the ESU instructions (below  right, pins on the 21MTC also correspond to mass and U+), or an ESU Power pack (which requires AUX9)? I don't think the former needs the controlling output from the decoder. Just because ESU designed the circuit doesn't mean they picked a PowerPack off the shelf and put it in the model.

No way for me to know for certain but I assume its more like a power pack using 3 wires because a Lokprogrammer has no issues programming a decoder while in an Accurascale 37 and the Lokprogrammer is known for being a bit picky with programming when only a bog standard stayalive is connected.

3 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

I guess that the numbers Accurascale require and the fact that they have got ESU doing a custom settup specifically for their models they can have them done and coded or pogrammed to there own needs,since they do them to sell direct i dont know why people dont buy their own items?, would you buy a Ford new and try fit a Skoda ecu to it?

The Class 92 project is a Legomanbiffo sound file adapted to suit the superb Class 92 model, and factory fitted in China for these models, these are also stocked by them too.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, Module00 said:

Thank you for your message, but why Bachmann have a lot of body in stock for each model’s ? 

I therefore find that not having any stock (even a body) is not very serious. Especially since I wasn't necessarily asking for a body of 37026, but at least 37/0. I don't see what solution you are going to be able to give me. but I hope it's possible...

regards.

Manufacturers are expected to keep spares of various parts to keep the model running of replace parts that have broken.   Any that keep complete shells as spares are to be commended, but not expected.  The higher RRP of Bachmann's models also covers the cost of keeping a full spares inventory, spread across many different models.

Bachmann's policy is different to Accurascale, they do not need to be the same.

To be harsh, it's your problem that you damaged your shell, not Accurascales, 

• Like 3
  • Agree 11
  • Round of applause 1

7 hours ago, Kaput said:

No way for me to know for certain but I assume its more like a power pack using 3 wires because a Lokprogrammer has no issues programming a decoder while in an Accurascale 37 and the Lokprogrammer is known for being a bit picky with programming when only a bog standard stayalive is connected.

Well, my Lokprogrammer used to get confused between Loksound 5 and Loksound 5 DCC with my 92 and 37s.

Also it could be that ESU have added more circuitry on the board to prevent that happening. They obviously know how the programming works.

I doubt there's some super secret functionality being eeeked out of the decoders as that just wouldn't make sense in my opinion. Either custom firmware, or custom decoder chip would be too problematic in the field I think. People will be buying the AS sound chip to throw into Bachmann 37s for example.

11 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Well, my Lokprogrammer used to get confused between Loksound 5 and Loksound 5 DCC with my 92 and 37s.

Also it could be that ESU have added more circuitry on the board to prevent that happening. They obviously know how the programming works.

I doubt there's some super secret functionality being eeeked out of the decoders as that just wouldn't make sense in my opinion. Either custom firmware, or custom decoder chip would be too problematic in the field I think. People will be buying the AS sound chip to throw into Bachmann 37s for example.

Any suitable 21-pin ESU LokSound or LokPilot can be set up to work with the lighting functions on the Accurascale 37s and 92s (pantograph servos as well). I have one class 92 with just a LokPilot (no sound) and Accurascale's Patrick kindly sent me a file with all the CV settings that I could load into the LokPilot, saving me a lot of separate programming. Sound files are proprietary, though, so they might be able to send the lighting settings to a third party one, but not the sounds. Having said that, as I showed before, I have Legomanbiffo and Jamie Goodman sounds in some, and even the generic ESU Hi-Fi sounds and all of these work all of the the lighting functions. They haven't standardised which function keys do what, though, so I have spent a considerable amount of time remapping functions, using the LokProgrammer, to bring them into line with each other, particularly with double heading (in consists). Examples include setting tail lights off on F20, drive hold on F8, cab lights on F21 ... and so on.

Edited by SRman
Correcting typos
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, Module00 said:

regards.

I think you’ve learned a lesson we all have at some point:

don't break / ruin your new loco.

It’s an expensive thing to do. We cannot expect / demand a manufacturer holds fully finished spare body shells to cater for our clumsiness 

you could try to sell as ‘spares / repair’ on an auction site to recover some of your loss or you could try and repair.

what exactly have you broken to warrant a whole new shell?

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, black and decker boy said:

It’s an expensive thing to do. We cannot expect / demand a manufacturer holds fully finished spare body shells to cater for our clumsiness 

you could try to sell as ‘spares / repair’ on an auction site to recover some of your loss or you could try and repair.

Oh hang on. I'm sure it's not a deliberate act. Accidents happen and inferring it's down to the owners clumsiness  isn't helping here. There can be all kinds of reasons how this has come about but the circumstances are irrelevant. It's done and that's that. 

As for saying, 

"I think you’ve learned a lesson we all have at some point...........

don't break / ruin your new loco"

....how patronising is that ? 

Rather unfair to say the least. 

Rob

• Agree 11

1 hour ago, SRman said:

Any suitable 21-pin ESU LokSound or LokPilot can be set up to work with the lighting functions on the Accurascale 37s and 92s (pantograph servos as well).

That's what I believe too. However, if one buys a Lokpilot 5, puts it in a 37, configures the output for Aux9 to be Aux9 rather than PowerPack charging, does the stayalive work? If it does then I expect it wouldn't be anything special on the decoder end.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

7 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

That's what I believe too. However, if one buys a Lokpilot 5, puts it in a 37, configures the output for Aux9 to be Aux9 rather than PowerPack charging, does the stayalive work? If it does then I expect it wouldn't be anything special on the decoder end.

I'm not sure on that one. I'll be interested in the answer as well.

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Oh hang on. I'm sure it's not a deliberate act. Accidents happen and inferring it's down to the owners clumsiness  isn't helping here. There can be all kinds of reasons how this has come about but the circumstances are irrelevant. It's done and that's that. 

As for saying, 

Rob

Life isn’t fair, it’s also unfair to berate a company for life’s little experiences it throws our way (fault or no fault doesn’t matter).

Accurascale products should reach you in perfect condition. After that the buyer takes responsibility for the product. 

The way I see it is a toy train is one of those things that falls between an electrical product and a very nice ornament. If an electrical device goes wrong you should be able to expect parts to repair it. However if you drop an ornament  that’s just plain tough. So if the workings of the model were damaged then I would think parts would be available to help the customer. But the body is not one of those. 

It now boils down to how can it be fixed, Accurascale might be able to provide a body from a returned failed model depending. Personally my first port of call,  cheek dose work sometimes as in it not a new part but will get the model fixed. Worth ago. Obviously it’s would be a second hand body and not necessarily Accurascale preferred response, but as long as the customer is willing to accept a second hand part Accurascale may be willing to sell. (If and when one becomes available) Otherwise it’s probably going to be eBay. Or dare, I say it DIY Jobbie. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

On 21/01/2024 at 22:21, McC said:

We’d recommend a decoder reset and if no change get onto support and we can arrange a decoder replacement or a full in house service if you prefer. 

I have been in touch with Accurascale team. Who suggested I return the whole loco but I'm sure I only need a new sound decoder as the loco motor and lights function correctly.  In fact its my smoothest running loco.

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Module00 said:

Bachmann don't keep a stock for every variant, out of the 11 styles in stock right now and just before Xmas, none were suitable for my one I dropped.  Managed to get one off Ebay.

Edited by IOW O2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

As for saying, 

Rob

Respectfully I'll have to disagree with you Rob, if an item someone owns is damaged or broken, it's the owners fault for not being careful enough.

It's probably happened to us all, bumped a model off the table, spilled glue/paint etc over it, drove it off the end of the layout...no one's else fault but the owner, one of those things unfortunately.

If we can get spares from the manufacturer to fix it, great, if we can't then hunt down a used example and cannibalise it.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Rob is right in that the post does come off as rather patronising, but of course at the end of the day it's our problem to deal with not the manufacturer.

The level of spares availability from Bachmann is very very good, but it's definitely not the norm across the hobby. And not would I expect it to be.

I remember back when Dapol first did the 68s, and the DRS compass ones had a printing error on one side. So Dapol had to go and do a new batch of body shells to replace them.

It took time, and no doubt dented their profit margin on the 68s. Few manufacturers want to get a whole bunch of bodies made and painted for the off chance someone might need one.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, NBL said:

Respectfully I'll have to disagree with you Rob, if an item someone owns is damaged or broken, it's the owners fault for not being careful enough.

It's probably happened to us all, bumped a model off the table, spilled glue/paint etc over it, drove it off the end of the layout...no one's else fault but the owner, one of those things unfortunately.

If we can get spares from the manufacturer to fix it, great, if we can't then hunt down a used example and cannibalise it.

Sure but my issue is with the nature of Black and Decker Boy's post. A slap in the face to an already disappointed modeller who has had a rather unfortunate incident with a long awaited and expensive recent purchase.

I'm not sure what he was hoping to achieve by saying as such on a public forum. 

Rob

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Wasn’t meant to be patronising, poor language on my part clearly.

I’ve dropped (or had dropped by others) various items of stock and scratch built scenery, sometimes at home, sometimes on the exhibition circuit. I’ve never harangued a manufacturer afterwards (nor an exhibition host) for not fixing my problem, I’ve sorted it myself, either self repair or as others have said buying a second hand body / full loco etc. the odd item sends up in the bin.

It’s an expensive lesson and damn frustrating at the time but I can’t see how ACC can be at fault and subject to the negative posts they’ve faced on here.

if we knew the extent and nature of the damage, I’m sure we’d all have suggestions for recovery

• Like 9

TBF Hornby has never advertised spare diesel bodies ?

Bachmann have a lot , but it’s a revenue generation thing as much as anything else . Before they had the Bachmann spares website , body shells were £34 , this wasn’t advertised as such , you rang or emailed to see what they had. 

Then they made the website so you can order direct and the price went seemingly overnight to an eye watering £57-60 each.

I used to chop and change era by changing body shells - no longer .

Whilst I sympathise with Mon ami, I see it as a car - warranty returns justified for mechanical bits that go wrong but cosmetic damage through accident , not really .

Edited by rob D2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, charliepetty said:

The Class 92 project is a Legomanbiffo sound file adapted to suit the superb Class 92 model, and factory fitted in China for these models, these are also stocked by them too.

Your up there with all the greats Charlie,we all love and know you and your products ,as in Yorkshire things are done proper does this mean you are extending to a lifetime warranty :)

11 hours ago, NBL said:

Manufacturers are expected to keep spares of various parts to keep the model running of replace parts that have broken.   Any that keep complete shells as spares are to be commended, but not expected.  The higher RRP of Bachmann's models also covers the cost of keeping a full spares inventory, spread across many different models.

Bachmann's policy is different to Accurascale, they do not need to be the same.

To be harsh, it's your problem that you damaged your shell, not Accurascales, 

and because I made a mistake, I'm not allowed to buy a new body? you have never damaged your car or anything that belongs to you. you're very lucky.

10 hours ago, black and decker boy said:

An accident with air-brush during a weathering work… ☹️

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Module00 said:

and because I made a mistake, I'm not allowed to buy a new body? you have never damaged your car or anything that belongs to you. you're very lucky.

An accident with air-brush during a weathering work… ☹️

Give it, and us, a rest now please.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

10 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

As for saying, 

Rob

Thank you for your help. It’s not the first time. I am really happy to find people than you, because it’s not easy to me to write in English. 
after when I bought two Accurascale class 37… DCC SOUND  which I wait two years. that I pay a certain price, I can find it normal that the manufacturer has stock. I'm not asking for any favors and I wanted to pay the normal price for the part. I wish all the grumpy people never break one of their favorite models

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4