Hornby 2020 range announcements

AY Mod

8 minutes ago, ThaneofFife said:

but id say compared to the oxford version the old Hornby mk3 is the better more solid looking of the two (barring the nicer details on the newer coaches).

least they can manage to print the silver window surrounds on the actual surrounds not on the glazing..........lovely coaches now they have tinted windows.  

Aargh, silver window surrounds. I wish Hornby could add silver window surrounds to the Virgin HST coaches. I don't think Hornby have produced a Virgin HST mk3 (the ones with silver window surrounds as opposed to un-silvered loco hauled) since 1999!!! Hornby even painted the ex Lima HST TGS coach as a loco hauled one without silver windows! The Hornby scale length Virgin mk3 (HST and loco hauled) back catalogue is an awful mismash: silver/ unsilver windows, Hornby tooling, ex-Lima tooling (TGS, TRFB), metal or plastic wheels, thick flush glazing (Original scale length Hornby mk3), newer thin style flush glazing, tinted flush glazing, large, small and European style couplings, etc. etc. It's about time somebody, Hornby or Oxford, produced a full, matching rake of Virgin HST coaches.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mel_H said:

While I can't comment on Hornby's costs, Rapido have previously stated in their videos and newsletters that the cost of a 'powered' loco, verses a 'non-powered' loco is very close, which is why it doesn't sell non-powered locos as they wouldn't be any cheaper.

Putting a cab on something does seem to add a large amount to the price - look at the price of DVTs (or even a DBSO) vs a regular coach.

I doubt that the manufacturing costs differ enough to justify the differences in price. The fact that one tends to run more coaches than a DVT in a train might though.

21 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

That whirring noise isn't all the stuck-on cogs, its him spinning in his grave.

Steampunk away to your heart's content, but put the BL name on these products? Please, please, noooo.

BL.  I thought for a minute you were referring to the nasty "BL" in the Archers !!!

• Funny 3

11 hours ago, eldomtom2 said:

Surely it's diecast because their regular model is diecast?

It's body is plastic as are most Hornby models AFAIK

The T9 boiler is diecast but the mazac chassis of the early ones is plagued with zinc pest https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6LJwg3mcPo

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

TBH, the Bachmann ones have been around so long that many of us will already have accumulated all we'll ever need.

If H or OR were to do a steel body mineral, filling gaps with a riveted one (Dia.109) or the 21T Dia.107 would be far more useful, IMHO.

John

And some idiots have worked halfway though their Parkside/Dapol and Cambrian stash of 16 ton wagons. over Christmas only 24 to go! So the 21 ton might be more tempting. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

29 minutes ago, Legend said:

Yes I bought the ScotRail Inter7City power cars at standard discount  when they first came out in the summer @£269 (Mrp £289) because I thought they’d sell out. You can still get them, and I’ve seen them as low as £211, I think from Model Railways Direct . So you might get them cheaper but there is that risk they sell out . Not sure the second batch of Inter7City will sell as fast, if it was these ones you were after then you might be best waiting for a bit . The irony of course is that the coaches still haven’t turned up!

I'm only after the Network Rail HST set and these will probably go quickly thus I'll pre-order because the NR stuff always sells and if Hornby make 1000 units or less then they will sell out, it's a gamble but unless you know how many are being made you'll either miss out or pay more than you should if heavy discounting occurs post release if they can't be shifted.

• Friendly/supportive 3

2 hours ago, GordonC said:

I'd have preferred both buffered but one in intercity swallow and the other intercity executive to add a bit of variety

Did buffered ones exist when executive was on the go?

Yes they did (answered my own question). I thought swallow was older than it is!

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, classy52 said:

I'm only after the Network Rail HST set and these will probably go quickly thus I'll pre-order because the NR stuff always sells and if Hornby make 1000 units or less then they will sell out, it's a gamble but unless you know how many are being made you'll either miss out or pay more than you should if heavy discounting occurs post release if they can't be shifted.

I'd be very surprised if the NR one doesn't sell out. 5 coaches available over two years and power cars. And I think the 5 cars make a legitimate train too don't they?

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

The announcement details say 500 models only, not 1000.

Marklin-Trix make insider models with runs of 500 that have finely detailed metal bodies. Of course, it's really in the thousands. It reappears as a 2 rail Trix and then another Marklin run in different colours trundles into the catalogue a few years later.

• Informative/Useful 1

26 minutes ago, farren said:

And some idiots have worked halfway though their Parkside/Dapol and Cambrian stash of 16 ton wagons. over Christmas only 24 to go! So the 21 ton might be more tempting. 

Some even bigger idiots are still staring at a pile hoping they might start building themselves :drag:

• Like 1
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Jack P said:

Woooooo, Malachite Lord Nelson! I'm just not sure if the livery is pre, or post war, the lining on the deflectors would suggest post, but the lining on the steps, and (I think) the lettering style would suggest pre. Nothing some quick paint work and re-lettering wouldn't take care of!

And that W1, oof, I don't think i've ever been more tempted by an Eastern loco.

It’s Post 1939 and also post war Jack 

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Cor-onGRT4 said:

In the book "Big Four in colour 1935-1950" by David Jenkinson , there's  a colour picture of 864 Sir Martin Frobisher taken at Waterloo station with a West of England express, with the newly fitted Le Maitre chimney and Malachite livery and lining on the smoke deflectors, outer side black with fine yellow lining.

Dated July 1939, so same livery as the Hornby, we can asume this is pre war liverey.

Hope this will help  

Thanks for that, it does actually help. The smoke deflectors being painted and lined means that it shouldn’t be too difficult at all!

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Jack P said:

Woooooo, Malachite Lord Nelson!

In the Signalbox video at 18 mins in is a 1948 SR Green Merchant Navy (35012), without British Railways lettering.

I haven’t seen a catalog number for it, or on their website.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

In the Signalbox video at 18 mins in is a 1948 SR Green Merchant Navy (35012), without British Railways lettering.

I haven’t seen a catalog number for it, or on their website.

Don’t get excited I’m informed it’s there in error and won’t be included in this years range. 

• Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, Coryton said:

Putting a cab on something does seem to add a large amount to the price - look at the price of DVTs (or even a DBSO) vs a regular coach......

It’s the extra cost of the crumple zones and all the safety process involved.

• Funny 10

2 hours ago, locomad2 said:

........only thing worried me as I've all the original classic decade range models, only one which made us laugh was the duchess dicast from 30's, purchased a 3 rail Hornby  dublo for £20 recently at a toy fair, bit of work and it goes well, 80 years old, will the £250 new one work as well in 2100 ?

Depends if or when the Mazak rot sets in.

Being serious, I would personally think it a gamble.

• Agree 1

Wow - quite impressed by this release! I'm very tempted by the APT, but might hold off until there's some clarity on the coach packs.

In the mean time, I've pre-ordered a few GWR Mk3s - they'd been creeping up in price on eBay, in some cases £60 :O

Maybe I'll need something to go with them...

IMG_1262.jpeg

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, farren said:

I've done a few, though not too many as they should be heavily outnumbered by "standard" Dia.108s.

Currently part way through cutting down a Parkside 24.5 tonner to make a Dia.107. I think there are probably easier ways....

John 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Does anyone know if the new Network Rail mk2d support coach (R4992) will use the old Airfix mk2d tooling? The computer graphic seems to show the Airfix tooling for the underframe, though odly the underframe is the wrong way round. As it's the same price as the new mk2f coaches I would have thought they would use the newer mk2e/f tooling. Not only is the mk2e/f BSO underframe more detailed, but it's more accurate too than the Airfix mk2d underframe since there should only be one aircon fan present. I will probably hold off pre ordering for now incase Hornby do use the old Airfix tooling like they did recently with the Northern Belle train pack.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

5 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

But why would Hornby offer sound decoders for locos they haven't made for donkey's years (or ever the case of the Peak) and IIRC never had DCC sockets provided in any case?

John

........Because there is a market need ( based on TTS decoder being widely out of stock) and as a leading brand to the hobby they should be in tune with customer trends........ I would also imagine the margin on a TTS decoder is quite generous, ie a cash cow to boost profits that could then be reinvested in new next generation products

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, gwrrob said:

A heads up that the 2020 catalogue is part of a bundle for £10 with Hornby Magazine if bought from Tesco from tomorrow or W H Smiths next week.

5 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

I believe it is Tesco on Thursday and WHS from Friday.

I believe they said on the Hornby magazine 2020 range video that it was for 1 week only or there abouts.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, scottrains29 said:

Does anyone know if the new Network Rail mk2d support coach (R4992) will use the old Airfix mk2d tooling? The computer graphic seems to show the Airfix tooling for the underframe, though odly the underframe is the wrong way round. As it's the same price as the new mk2f coaches I would have thought they would use the newer mk2e/f tooling. Not only is the mk2e/f BSO underframe more detailed, but it's more accurate too than the Airfix mk2d underframe since there should only be one aircon fan present. I will probably hold off pre ordering for now incase Hornby do use the old Airfix tooling like they did recently with the Northern Belle train pack.

The underframe isn't the only issue.

9481 is one of the BSOs fitted with a compliant disabled toilet - it has a repositioned toilet window - hence the weird looking arrangement of painted over windows at the non-brake end. 

It also doesn't have a corridor connection at the brake end.

As for the SGT MK2 supprt coach (R4991), it is converted from one of the ex-Gatwick Express vehicles that had their underframes heavily modified anyway. It  too has a gangway removed at one end where the gauging gear is bolted on.

In reality, 72630 isn't a SGT support vehicle - it is the SGT vehicle -the "support" coach is one of the fully plated ex-FOs that has a long fixed bar coupler to space it from the SGT and the sensor gear mounted on the end of it - usually 99666 with 72630 )

Flickr pic

72630 (17)

Before it was converted to SGT use, it was simply a brake force runner with both gangways.

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1