The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1, 2020

Andrew P

• RMweb Gold

It certainly is official , the statement issued a few minutes ago by F1 themselves reads:

"Following the confirmation that a member of the McLaren Racing Team has tested positive for COVID-19 and the team’s decision to withdraw from the Australian Grand Prix, Formula 1 and the FIA convened a meeting of the other nine team principals on Thursday evening. Those discussions concluded with a majority view of the teams that the race should not go ahead

"Formula 1 and the FIA, with the full support of the Australian Grand Prix Corporation (AGPC) have therefore taken the decision that all Formula 1 activity for the Australian Grand Prix are cancelled.

"We appreciate this is very disappointing news for the thousands of fans due to attend the race and all ticket holders will receive a full refund and a further announcement will be communicated in due course.

"All parties took into consideration the huge efforts of the AGPC, Motorsport Australia, staff and volunteers to stage the opening round of the 2020 FIA Formula One World Championship in Melbourne, however concluded that the safety of all members of the Formula 1 family and the wider community, as well as the fairness of the competition take priority."

Edited by Derails Models
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Allegedly Daimler (Merc to you and me) called on their teams to vote for cancellation. I do wonder if Lewis had already left. His despairing "cash is king" remark will not have pleased many among promoters, sponsors and others. 

F1 in chaos unseen in decades.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Allegedly Daimler (Merc to you and me) called on their teams to vote for cancellation. I do wonder if Lewis had already left. His despairing "cash is king" remark will not have pleased many among promoters, sponsors and others. 

F1 in chaos unseen in decades.

Not that there was much choice. Victoria's Premier Daniel Andrews had previously said (Thursday night our time) that the race would either go ahead without fans or not at all!

Unsurprisingly the teams voted to cancel. 

• Agree 3

The timing of this decision was poor.

Remember that Melbourne is about 10-11 hours ahead of GMT.

The decision was therefore taken during the night.

Teams & media will have already been there setting up. If they are going to spread the virus amongst each other then they will have already done so.

Many fans will camp nearby for the entire event. They will have already got there & if they were going to spread the virus amongst each other, this will have started last night.

It really is a case of the old cliche: locking the stable door after the horse has bolted.

• Agree 5

The right decision, poorly timed though. Should have done it sooner. You have to feel for the fans who have travelled. They stand to be the biggest losers.

You would seriously have to question whether the next few races should go ahead. McLaren potentially will have more team members left in Oz in isolation. Travel restriction means even the European leg looks likely to be curtailed. Its a tough call but the first half of the season looks to be in doubt. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, didcot said:

Its a tough call but the first half of the season looks to be in doubt. 

Time for Formula 1 and the FIA to get together to work through, to use Donald Rumsfeld's phrase, the 'known knowns and the known unknowns'.

Then, at least, they can begin to lay out to the teams, sponsors, fans and the media what could and should be possible and practical to plan for over the next few months.  

I won't hold my breath.

Contractual obligations notwithstanding, the safety of all those closely involved with the sport, also including the travelling fans, should be their primary concern.

Edited by 4630
correct a typo.
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

There’s also a lot of small catering and entertainment businesses that rely on serving these global travelling circus’s,  motorsport, festivals, music etc and they are looking at no business for months the way this is going. None of the insurance protection of the big companies so a lot of people are going to have little to no income as the travel bans plus event cancellations escalate. I wonder if the multimillionaire drivers will club together to support the F1 crews in the smaller outfits if they go to the wall . . . 

• Agree 5

Vietnam GP now confirmed as cancelled.  I think the season will start, if it starts, later than June, as mentioned by the BBC. If the "peak"  in the UK  is still possibly three months away, I can't see any European GP's taking place - as for the rest of the world, we will have to wait and see.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Statement from FOM this afternoon includes:

"Formula 1 and the FIA expect to begin the Championship in Europe at the end of May but given the sharp increase in COVID-19 cases in Europe in recent days, this will be regularly reviewed."

So forget Zandvoort and Barcelona, too. 

• Agree 2

Off the wall suggestion but why not have an e-sports 2020 F1 championship where the current drivers compete on all the circuits in a virtual environment. Also a very easy way to level the car performance advantages / disadvantages. Juan Pablo Montoya recently won a major event so obviously real world skills translate pretty well.

Personally I would love to see the likes of George Russell able to trade blows with the top teams - lets face it the sound is nothing like it used to be so why not be a bit radical ?

You could even charge people pay per view ?

Chris

• Like 2

Sony/Polyphony do this two or three times a year. But it takes place at one venue with all the "sleds" (seat/steering wheel/pedals/monitor) plugged into a server on site. 

I play GTSport online races but the servers are regional to Europe/Middle East & Africa with others for America, Asia etc. 

It could be done, but making it global if the participants didn't want to travel would be a head scratcher technically.

C6T. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Chrisr40 said:

Off the wall suggestion but why not have an e-sports 2020 F1 championship where the current drivers compete on all the circuits in a virtual environment. Also a very easy way to level the car performance advantages / disadvantages. Juan Pablo Montoya recently won a major event so obviously real world skills translate pretty well.

Personally I would love to see the likes of George Russell able to trade blows with the top teams - lets face it the sound is nothing like it used to be so why not be a bit radical ?

You could even charge people pay per view ?

Chris

I've seen this suggested multiple times now, it's a great idea.

Lando and Max are regulars on IRacing, in fact they won the IRacing 24 hours of Spa IIRC together.

• Like 1

I should add the real world circuits, with an F1 history in GTSport currently include:

Spa

Suzuka

Fuji

Monza

Brands Hatch

Nurburgring 

Red Bull Ring

Catalunya

Interlagos

But the only F1 car proper available is last year's Mercedes! 

C6T. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

I should add the real world circuits, with an F1 history in GTSport currently include:

Spa

Suzuka

Fuji

Monza

Brands Hatch...

Brands Hatch now that would be amazing. Excuse the vernacular but a proper track with uppy downy bits and a few hold on to your wedding vegetables corners.

• Agree 1