The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1, 2020

Andrew P

• RMweb Gold
On 04/03/2020 at 10:24, Hobby said:

They were the only other teams using the same tyres as Ferrari from what I remember.

To be entirely accurate, the other teams only had the same brand of tyre, they did not have the same bespoke tyres Ferrari were taking advantage of.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, Andrew P said:

More Race events cancelled.

It looks like Formula E is being hit hardest at the moment, which is a bit unfortunate for the Beeb as they seemed to have put a fair amount of resources in to covering that series this year.

• Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

STINKS of an even BIGGER cover up, See who is the ONLY Team represented on the World Motor Sport Council, and WHO that Representative is.

https://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/28851814/world-motor-sport-council-backs-fia-handling-ferrari-engine-row

And of course FIA President Jean Todt is also a former Ferrari Team Principal and CEO....

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

STINKS of an even BIGGER cover up, See who is the ONLY Team represented on the World Motor Sport Council, and WHO that Representative is.

https://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/28851814/world-motor-sport-council-backs-fia-handling-ferrari-engine-row

Only adds grist to the mill that has always claimed the FIA is an acronym for Ferrari International Assistance! I always knew Jean Todt (ex-Ferrari Team Principle) had some (much) sympathy for anything prancing, equine or even horsey (although not as much as the next in line to the UK's throne however :D) but for the present Team Principle of Ferrari to be the only F1 principle on the WMSC is dragging F1 deeper into the mire of equine droppings. Sod face masks, nasal plugs anyone?

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

18 hours ago, 57xx said:

To be entirely accurate, the other teams only had the same brand of tyre, they did not have the same bespoke tyres Ferrari were taking advantage of.

Where does it say that the other two teams on Bridgestones tyres had different tyres to Ferarri? 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hobby said:

Where does it say that the other two teams on Bridgestones tyres had different tyres to Ferarri? 

It's a well known fact that Ferrari had a special relationship with Bridgestone and had exclusive tyres not available to other teams, developed around their car and #1 driver. Try this for one source. There are plenty of other articles about it out there if you take a look.

Edited by 57xx
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold

With 16m Italians in quarantine, including both Ferrari and Pirelli HQs, the risk of the race season being disrupted just magnified. And if the Bahraini race goes ahead, tv viewers will be the only spectators allowed. 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

I know the f1 Pirelli tyres are managed in a warehouse here in Didcot,  I don’t know where they manufacture them though.

when I had 17 pallets of stock (nothing to do with f1) collected from an Italian factory 10 days ago they asked if we had any restrictions In the uk yet....which suggests they knew something was likely.

Edited by Jonboy
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

With 16m Italians in quarantine, including both Ferrari and Pirelli HQs, the risk of the race season being disrupted just magnified. And if the Bahraini race goes ahead, tv viewers will be the only spectators allowed. 

Not sure if you had already seen this Ian, but confirmation of NO SPECTATORS at the Bahrain Race.

https://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/28863601/bahrain-grand-prix-take-place-closed-doors

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Hence tv viewers will be the only spectators!

Sorry Ian, yes of course.

I would think from a drivers perspective it would be a bit earie, with quiet empty Grandstands, a bit like a Track Day on steroids, and probably no adulation on the podium either.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Agree 5

Sorry Ian, yes of course.

I would think from a drivers perspective it would be a bit earie, with quiet empty Grandstands, a bit like a Track Day on steroids, and probably no adulation on the podium either.

Especially when you consider that at least two potentially serious accidents in Formula One were avoided by a driver noticing that the spectators weren't looking in his direction....

• Informative/Useful 4

On 04/03/2020 at 09:39, Chrisr40 said:

i do wonder if all this Ferrari bashing will stop when the predicted move of Hamilton to the Scuderia takes place

I can't see him going there, he's already said he's waiting for Toto to decide what he is doing before making a decision, I think Toto will be in Formula E in 2021 unless they can come up with fossil fuel replacement. Car manufacturers are only interested in F1 if they can port it out to their road cars, so continuing petrol engine racing is a waste of resource.

• Agree 2

There is an interesting video on youtube about whether VW has inadvertently killed F1 with its electric motorsport policy. I do hope not. I saw the VW food mixer special hillclimb car whatever it is at Goodwood last year...clever but soulless.

Also regards the special tyres for Ferrari....yes they did have bespoke rubber because they were the most competitive of 3 teams using Bridgestone who as a tyre manufacturer sensibly were interested in winning  - so pardon the pun backed the favourite prancing horse rather than Jordan or Minardi. The tyre rules changed in 2005 and precluded tyre stops which significantly disadvantaged non Michelin runners. In 2005 those 'special' tyres were also widely regarded as the reason that Ferrari only won one race all year...Indianapolis, where longevity rather than outright pace meant they were up to the job of coping on the banked portion of the track.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

If the Italian based Teams, and Pirelli  cannot get back into, or out of Italy between Bahrain and Vietnam it will seriously effect how they operate, or where they would stay in that period.

We then have another 4 weeks after Vietnam so time then for things to go either way, and for the better one would hope.

• Agree 1