The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1, 2020

Andrew P

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

One thing that puzzled me - in Q3, all the second times were set with two minutes left on the clock - time for the drivers to either get two more quick laps in, or a slower one followed by another quick one - yet nobody went round again. Is the wear on tyres sufficient that it's impossible to set a second quick lap as fast as your first?

Probably only enough fuel for one flying lap, and they would have taken most of the life out of the tyres

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Very disappointed that C4 failed to mention that it was the 50th anniversary of Jochen Rindt's death. The y could have easily slotted it in instead of the interview with Claire Williams, then left that until today.

• Agree 3

Ronnie Corbett, WHOOPS SORRY, Christian Horner, and Long Tall Toto have a spat over favouritism.:no:

https://www.gpfans.com/en/articles/56405/wolff-and-horner-in-dispute-over-hamilton-favouritism-claim/?fbclid=IwAR2uFwEpOeeVNxbkAHVe__ZO702gPfs2cyFZRrTQOIJoiQRdWbffQGl06vc

Edited by Andrew P
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I think all the kinetic energy has been used in the one lap, so you need a cool-down lap to recharge. 

Also the tyres will have a load of heat in them that they'd need to disperse (remember that one of the reasons for the stupid slow out laps are that they were trying to cool the tyres so the pressure dropped for better grip, due to the problems in the tyres that mean Pirelli insist on higher pressures than are good for racing on). They'd probably also only be fuelled for one flying lap.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

There is a lot of hand-wringing everywhere about Williams and its heritage. I hope I don't offend too many when I say change isn't a moment too soon. This sport has seen great teams fall by the wayside altogether, and at least Williams has escaped that. But trophies and results are only for the record books. Let's hope Dorilton's money and energy get the team off the back of the grid soonest. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold

With so many cars exceeding track limits on the Parabolica, one commentator was astonished to note Bottas on a very hot lap allowed more than a car's width to the  perimeter white line. He was thus effectively more than two car's widths tighter than those being disqualified. The Mercs have a setup that simply lets the driver do more. I have no doubt aero is a big part of that. Add in the robust engine and they remain formidable competitors. 

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

20 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

There is a lot of hand-wringing everywhere about Williams and its heritage. I hope I don't offend too many when I say change isn't a moment too soon. This sport has seen great teams fall by the wayside altogether, and at least Williams has escaped that. But trophies and results are only for the record books. Let's hope Dorilton's money and energy get the team off the back of the grid soonest. 

I agree, I think it was over a year ago I said that Merc should have made that their No 2 Team for both developement and Drivers, and replaced Claire, or given he a dose of Toto dust.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

And Ferrari should be careful what they wish for with appeals, remembering most of the Paddock still want answers to questions.:D

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

In some ways though I'm surprised it's happened as quickly as it has. Team Principals don't grow on trees, and I would have at least expected Claire to have stayed on until a replacement could be found and to give some stability to the handover.

I also can't help wondering if it would have been better for the team if the family had retained some stake in the team rather than selling 100%. As it is, the money Dorilton have spent buying the team will have gone into the family's pockets (which of course they're absolutely entitled to), had they kept a share in the team, they could have reinvested that money back into it.

There's been some speculation that Dorilton might change the name in fairly short order. I'm not sure that's necessarily going to be the case. After all, McLaren have gone through several changes of ownership and kept their name. Brabham also changed owners many times without a change of name. There's still some financial clout (in terms of attracting sponsorship) in keeping an established name, even if its glory days are long gone.

• Agree 3

Sounds like a ruddy weird race!

It didn't seem to have hurt Hamiltons standings too badly, since Verstappen and Bottas didn't shine either.  But congrats to the podium gang, nontheless!

And what happened to the Red Slugs?  I'll definitely have to watch the highlights!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Hroth said:

When I saw "it is good we have no fans", I thought Vettel was admitting that hardly anyone supports them anymore, rather than no one was allowed in!

Italy takes Ferrari very seriously. Had there been fans, there might have been bloodshed.

• Agree 4
  • Funny 1