The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1, 2020

Andrew P

32 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

I drove on the Rockingham Oval and we were told the Cars had the suspension set up differently each side to account for not just the angle, but the upward thrust of the Car towards the wall. It's really is a strange sensation at over 100 mph and you feel the Car wanting to climb the wall but your not actually pulling down with your left hand to compensate. Also the suspension movement each side is different as is the ride height.

IMG_3445.JPG.c22ec518a63d8fd6f72b76879ad3f6d2.JPG

That's not you. Where's the mug of tea on the side pod?

• Like 3
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

Out of interest, was the accident on the part of the circuit that's being used next week?

Yes it was , below is a map of the circuit , the outer loop that they will be using branches to

the left after turn 4 and re-joins at turn 13 .

The accident yesterday was just above the 3 where the grey road is shown crossing to turn 10.

1280px-Bahrain_International_Circuit--Grand_Prix_Layout_svg.png.4d620b7a90c1be5452fad0860fc3f676.png

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold

The picture above is very similar to my earlier post and shows it was not a head on impact. Although the car is angled towards the barrier the direction of travel is about still about 30 degrees to to the barrier, but it is understandable why it flipped round. Michael Masi the FIA Race Director is now saying the barrier damage was down to to the energy of the crash. I must admit to still being surprised that barrier reacted as badly as it did.

Capture3a.JPG.eb13b2f07a0ce3b6b30d7fc0d0c60113.JPG

• Informative/Useful 4

I think if the car hadn't been angled with its nose into the barrier and the impact had been more 'side on' it would have bounced off. You would expect the car to be oriented more that way given the location on a straight.

What this may do is give more thought to how barriers are positioned and designed on straights.

Edited by LNERandBR
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Looking at the damaged barrier it appears that the nose of the car embedded itself in the horizontal gap half way up the barrier forcing the top half upwards to the inverted V shape as can be seen in the pictures. There must also have been a twisting motion causing the car to split in two.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

In combination with the above photo , look at the armco in this shot ,

_115691594_firereuters.jpg.c5882842ed8e42dadfe68b20c5c0ef29.jpg

I see 3 rows of barrier with a gap between each row .

Here is the current Hass car .

hass.jpg.21a38c52792be45bd5b17bad09687ac7.jpg

I wonder if this happened , contact with barrier on right side would first be with wheel and wing ,

wing shatters leaving the strong nose area of the car , a crash tested area so very strong , the nose

forces into the barrier between the lower and middle sections opening up a gap and going in

deeper which could then cause the car to pivot and lift the barriers further and forcing it's way through with the halo acting as a jacking point , the pivoting forces caused the car to split in

half . The fire and rescue operation need no explanation from me .

This photo shows where my above thoughts come from .

450914012_barrier2..jpg.762a04b8f2c8f2e2cd1da4730f732aa5.jpg

To me this explains how things ended up where they did given the starting point .

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

To some extent we can analyse it as much as we like but it will just be speculation without all the data and knowhow.

Probably better to be thankful Roman escaped with minor injuries, commend the Marshalls and Medical Car staff for doing an excellent job and being very brave and await the FIA's full investigation.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

One thing I thought is what would they have done if Roman was unconscious as the extinguishers weren’t having much effect and you could see the Dr shielding his face with his glove even following the nozzle in. Do they have a more powerful fast response truck with more powerful foam jets that we didn’t see? Also he was extremely lucky it was lap one and the safety car was right behind them already on track, I guess it could take a minute or more to get there after the first lap? Obviously the overalls withstood 30 seconds fantastically well but how long would they protect if he’d been trapped in unconscious and needed releasing while they contained the fire? I’m very impressed by the performance in this case and it looks like they could withstand quite a bit more time as his suit looked pretty undamaged apart from the melted rip off visors but obviously immersion in that heat has a increasing effect on the body. 

• Agree 6

Just now, LNERandBR said:

To some extent we can analyse it as much as we like but it will just be speculation without all the data and knowhow.

Probably better to be thankful Roman escaped with minor injuries, commend the Marshalls and Medical Car staff for doing an excellent job and being very brave and await the FIA's full investigation.

I think I'm totally in agreement with this, We've all had our two penneth worth and given our opinions, so please shall we now move on and discus how next weekend will pan out.

Thanks.:good:

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

7 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Well for my money, I hope Perez has another strong Race next weekend, and also in Abu Dabi, but this time with no last minute failure and prove he should be in a good Car for next year.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I got the impression that Albon wasn't making any progress against Perez before the RPs engine gave up, so its clear that Perez has demonstrated that he's a good driver already and deserves a good car!

Whether he gets one... 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Next week is liable to be bonkers (to quote George Russell) they are predicting around a 55 sec lap, with the field probably very tightly packed. Qually at least will be decided by very small margins, one mistake could see people 6,7 or places back down the grid. Bring it on.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, kipford said:

Next week is liable to be bonkers (to quote George Russell) they are predicting around a 55 sec lap, with the field probably very tightly packed. Qually at least will be decided by very small margins, one mistake could see people 6,7 or places back down the grid. Bring it on.

Waits for the inevitable grid penalties for impeded laps.

• Funny 3

22 minutes ago, Gareth Collier said:

It's just been on the Beeb that Hamilton has tested positive for Covid. Would have been interesting if he hadn't already secured the title and I wonder who'll get the seat for this weekend?

Wow. Shakes things up nicely, shame for Ham and his world domination but there is always next year 

guess there is a risk he could miss Abu Dhabi too as the races are back to back.

Could the Hulk get the call?

• Agree 2

28 minutes ago, Gareth Collier said:

It's just been on the Beeb that Hamilton has tested positive for Covid. Would have been interesting if he hadn't already secured the title and I wonder who'll get the seat for this weekend?

Russell is reserve Driver I believe if Williams can release him.

JUST FOUND THIS.

Stoffel Vandoorne is listed as the team's official reserve driver and is currently testing for Mercedes' Formula E team in Valencia. He last raced in F1 for McLaren in 2018 and will travel to Bahrain later this week to join the Mercedes F1 team.

Still shocking news.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

It is said Hamilton must isolate now, and contact occurred before the weekend with someone else who is now positive. So, what happens with all those he had contact with over the last weekend, other team members, drivers on the podium etc. Shouldn’t they also go into isolation? Not sure where the line gets drawn.

After last weekends scary action, when the wheels start to come off.......

Izzy

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Gutierrez is out of the running as he does not enough current super licence points. It will between Vandoorne official reserve driver but no recent F1, Nico Hulkenberg not a Mercedes driver but has 3 GP's this season with Racing Point (Mercedes power) and Russell as an outside possibility. Russell is a Mercedes junior team driver but is contracted with Williams so it becomes complicated to release him. Heart says put Russell in, head says Hulkenberg will get it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4