Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Glasgow Queen Street

David Bell

3 hours ago, brylonscamel said:

I'm almost hearing the racket from the loco as you hit the incline and enter the tunnel! I wonder if you'll get a similar sound from the DCC speaker as it enters?

That's a thought. I plan to line the tunnel for 18 inches or so. It'll be interesting to see how that works sound wise. I suspect it might deaden the sound but we shall see.

8 minutes ago, David Bell said:

That's a thought. I plan to line the tunnel for 18 inches or so. It'll be interesting to see how that works sound wise. I suspect it might deaden the sound but we shall see.

.. Just turn up the amp to eleven!

Now that I have set the girder in place and stared at it for 24 hours I have realised I have made the walls a little too high, by about 20mm. What is 5 feet amongst friends! Fortunately none of the walls are fixed to the layout yet so they can be adjusted reasonably easily

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Matt said:

I loved it before and love it more now. It’s gonna look amazing when finished. Then you can come do mine for me……..

Matt, I'll go 50:50 on a train fare and we'll get David up here 😉

Steve

Edited by 55020

8 hours ago, 55020 said:

Matt, I'll go 50:50 on a train fare and we'll get David up here 😉

Steve

Where’s up here? I seem to recall David might be north of me already unless im confusing with someone else?  Im in Aberdeenshire west of Aberdeen 29 miles 

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Matt said:

Where’s up here? I seem to recall David might be north of me already unless im confusing with someone else?  Im in Aberdeenshire west of Aberdeen 29 miles 

Ahh, basic assumption on my part given that most folk are south of Aberdeen!

I'm in Milltimber, so not as far west as you by the sound of things.

Steve

1 hour ago, 55020 said:

Ahh, basic assumption on my part given that most folk are south of Aberdeen!

I'm in Milltimber, so not as far west as you by the sound of things.

Steve

Yes I am North of you both. I live a mile or so north of Dornoch. That said I am familiar with your home turf. I lived in Craigearn, near Monymusk/ Kemnay for 30 years. 

Edited by David Bell
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Balgrayhill said:

Really enjoying this thread

I grew up in eye and ear shot of the E&G mainline, Cowlairs and Eastfield during the 70's and 80's.  Very fond memories of being on the platforms of QS surrounded by 27's!

I always promised myself that I would make a model of the station, but never did!

Similar . I went to college in Glasgow in 1979 , used to nip down to Queen Street in free period.  Class 27s we’re on the E&G push pulls and the roar of them going out platform 2 and heading up Cowlairs incline was terrific . I remember 40s and 47/2s on the Aberdeens and 37s and 25s occasionally visiting , as well as Met Camm and Derby 107s rasping away .  Happy days . Like you I always thought a model of Queen Street would be great . I remember there was one on the Scottish circuit years ago . 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Legend said:

Similar . I went to college in Glasgow in 1979 , used to nip down to Queen Street in free period.  Class 27s we’re on the E&G push pulls and the roar of them going out platform 2 and heading up Cowlairs incline was terrific . I remember 40s and 47/2s on the Aberdeens and 37s and 25s occasionally visiting , as well as Met Camm and Derby 107s rasping away .  Happy days . Like you I always thought a model of Queen Street would be great . I remember there was one on the Scottish circuit years ago . 

Happy days indeed

My GQS memories from that period are hazy as was pretty young. I know we used to get trains from Lenzie into Glasgow fairly often so must have been through GQS but don’t recall the arrival… I remember standing at Lenzie and fast trains piling through (I guess 47/7 push pulls) and I think on one occasion our DMU service was cancelled and we got an intercity 125 instead?? Everything was blue grey so must have been early 80s. I also recall seeing Flying Scotsman in GQS I think P1 - I was pretty young so guess mid 80s?

later as a teenager I recall trying to get a train from Stirling and finding

ticket office closed. Got

on train and no one on train to pay. Arrive at GQS and barriers open but being an honest person I went to ticket office to do my bit only to be fined by them for

travelling without a ticket…

Edited by Matt
Added to
  • Friendly/supportive 3

I have made a start on the scenic module which sits over the tunnel. It is a representation of Parliamentary Road which ran east from roughly the end of Sauchiehall Street. It was a major road with double tram tracks down the middle. It is all gone now. I dont intend to make a model of what was actually at the street at this point. Instead I will place a typical Glasgow tenement at the rear.

Cheers

David

20220510_110907.jpg

20220510_110924.jpg

20220510_112414.jpg

20220510_112439.jpg

• Like 19

On 07/05/2022 at 13:04, Matt said:

I also recall seeing Flying Scotsman in GQS I think P1 - I was pretty young so guess mid 80s?

Nothing wrong with your memory there Matt. There is a picture of Flying Scotsman at GQS Platform 1 in Ann Glen's book .The caption says the picture is dated October 1983.

• Like 1

Been fencing today and have placed but not installed the street lights on the Parliamentary Road module.

The back of the fence is more prominent than the front given its location on the layout. The fence posts are 1mm square brass to give the whole thing some strength.

20220511_181120.jpg

20220511_181211.jpg

• Like 14

6 minutes ago, billywhizz said:

Looking very neat. 
good to see the obligatory bus on a bridge!

Cheers,

Bill. 

If the trains don't tell you where you are the busses surely will. How are you getting on with your rather more scale version of GQS?

18 minutes ago, David Bell said:

If the trains don't tell you where you are the busses surely will. How are you getting on with your rather more scale version of GQS?

Not good news I’m afraid. 
I had been trying to repair deterioration to the trackwork and wiring caused by the baseboards getting soaked a couple of years ago then being stored in a damp garage for 12 months. Also damage repairs caused by 2 house moves. However, for every issue rectified, I would discover more issues (1 step forward and 3 back) 

It got to the point where I was getting so disheartened after a session working on the layout, I wouldn’t touch it again for a month. 
for my own sanity and at risk of losing interest in the hobby completely, I have decided to mothball the project for now and concentrate on a small inglenook type project to give me a sense of achievement and something to actually run some stock on.

Regards.

Bill. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks for your kind words David. I did consider scrapping the trackwork and starting again in OO but having realised how many hundreds of hours were spent building track panels and points using Colin Craig components, I can’t bring myself to rip it all up. Not sure if I ever posted any pics so added a couple below. 
Really intrigued to see how you are going to tackle the station roof. 
Regards,

Bill. 

DE0B6A24-C27E-43BF-92C4-959EB1A06E82.jpeg

B2EFEBF9-E438-4859-A21B-67101879B6BA.jpeg

• Like 9