Hornby APT (2020 tooling)

PaulRhB

5 minutes ago, NewSiding said:

Hornby said they would be in UK on 19th?  How was it in stock on the Hornby website on the 10th Jan, if they are not in UK until 19th?   Are Hornby making this up so they have an excuse to increase the price again or are they messing with retailers?

Confusing isn't it? Earlier post from me stating that the price to retailers was at the latest price increase as they hadn't arrived and been despatched to retailers in time for the 15th January cut off date.

1 hour ago, Widnes Model Centre said:

Confusing isn't it? Earlier post from me stating that the price to retailers was at the latest price increase as they hadn't arrived and been despatched to retailers in time for the 15th January cut off date.

So the 5 car sets were in stock and dispatching from the Hornby website on the 10th, but weren't in stock to dispatch to the retailers before a price change on the 15th?

And because of this timewarp, Hornby stand to extract more money out of retailers?

That is ... very interesting.

You'd have thought that whoever was running the Hornby online shop could have been persuaded to cool their heels for a few days to make it a bit less obvious to everyone.

• Agree 4

50 minutes ago, ac1874 said:

So basically Hornby have covered their 'losses' in honouring the preorder price with direct customers (in the face of increased manufacturing and shipping costs) by increasing the cost to their retailers.....

Ok forgive me, i’m confused, if a retailer takes a preorder, say last year do they pay Hornby the price at which they preordered (as is dine by retail consumers) or the price at date of dispatch? (I had presumed the t&c were similar, or at worst the retailer was asked for a deposit or prepayment.) some retailers i have used ask for a deposit some for payment upfront, i was surprised Hornby only charge retail cons on dispatch.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 08/01/2020 at 23:03, John ks said:

Regarding R3874, 7 car set 

Here is a screen grab from Hornby mag video & it shows the 7 car set with 2 NMD's & 1 APT-U & a RRP of £549.99

I got the following RRP's from Hornby' site 

7 car set R3784  £484.99 

NMD       R3948  £109.99

APT u      R4970    £39.99

the price difference between the 5 & 7 car sets is £90.00 or is it £155.00 if you believe the screen grab RRP. Time will tell

I am somewhere between bewildered & astounded that Hornby did the APT U, & very pleased:D

I will get the 7 car set & 4 coach packs. That will allow me to make up almost any combination I want

The following is me thinking out aloud

Would the APT U sell very well as a single item? Adding it to a set would guarantee enough units to make it viable 

Was the RRP going to be £549.99 and was it decided to reduce it to £484.99 to stimulate more sales

It is normal for a set to cost less than the cost of the individual parts

screen.jpg.73798c95f827080d63c4cc1e74679aa3.jpg

John

John has kindly listed the prices in his post from the Hornby site which are different to the ones on the printed sheet.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Markwj said:

John has kindly listed the prices in his post from the Hornby site which are different to the ones on the printed sheet.

I ordered early on, and paid 484.99 for the 7 car , 89.99 for the  double coach packs , 109.99 for the ndm and 39.99 for the APT U single pack. I did cancel the aptU when i realised it was included  in the 7 car pack. I did think about buying several aptu and anothe 5 car set  to cut and shunt together one of the proposed sets  but decided that was too much to risk with my unrefined modelling skills!

12 hours ago, Bigeddie said:

I ordered early on, and paid 484.99 for the 7 car, 89.99 for the  double coach packs

My pre-order (with a retailer) was originally for £436.49 (7 car set) and £80.99 (coach twin packs). I did pay a deposit at the time. I will find out soon what the actual price will be.

I didn't order a separate NDM, and my retailer no longer list it. So I don't know how much that would have been.

• RMweb Gold

So for those items ordered with only one yearly price increase of 10%, you would have been very slightly better off going to a retailer. But for anything with two yearly increases of 10%, it would have been cheaper to order directly from Hornby - assuming the retailers pass on the Jan 2022 increase of course. We shall see...

Original retailer NDM was £98.99, but cost £108.99 when it arrived.

On 13/01/2022 at 09:47, APT-P said:

Hornby2020Yb.jpg.5c804f7ceb699b04a4d3bf60a34a7e2f.jpgHornby2020Ya.jpg.bb30cb40a11a3053ab4dc78c68a2aa26.jpgHornby 5-car APT-P Packs are starting to arrive !

That join line / gap between the yellow and grey seems quite big.  I would have thought with the latest manufacturing technology the tolerances should be much better than that.  Would be interested to see if it is like that on others.

However, the rest looks very good, inlcuding the colours and livery.
The join line across the top of the nose is good.

Edited by NewSiding
to add some positive observations!
  • Agree 2

My order with Gaugemaster was placed at £440 for the 7 car set

What frustrates me is that it already went to £533 last year and the latest increase is on a product already mnanufacturered and in transit. Costs for production and transport must have been fixed before it was shipped so this seems like blatent profiteering by Hornby since gthe price is being increased after receipt at Margate except for those who ordered direct.  Blantant discrimination against model shops.

Paul R

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

5 minutes ago, e30ftw said:

I know its slim to none but, wouldnt it be great if Hornby produced extra Driving trailer seconds so we could modify one to have the end opened to expose the conventional draw gear, alowing it to be towed by a loco.

I'd buy one.... might do this anyway!

2 hours ago, aureol40012 said:

We established a few pages ago that this was the case, constantly repeating it just rubs the faces of people who ordered with retailers in it!!

Indeed, the whole situation kinda sucks. To be honest I am a bit pi**ed off with Hornby over this but thats my problem. Its just not a nice way to treat customers but Hornby know best and want to make everyone happy and to put a smile everyones face. If you believe that....

Tossers

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

No ones forced to buy it.

You can always walk and let it go.

What started as 2 APTs with a lot of excitement has already jumped to 4 APTs with two more announced in January.

I’m betting that the combination of more versions, and higher prices means there wont be fear of missing out any more, so I've suddenly less urgency on buying this.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

No ones forced to buy it.

You can always walk and let it go.

What started as 2 APTs with a lot of excitement has already jumped to 4 APTs with two more announced in January.

I’m betting that the combination of more versions, and higher prices means there wont be fear of missing out any more, so I've suddenly less urgency on buying this.

No intention of walking and letting it go. Its something I have wanted for 40 years, its just the timing of Hornby's pricing tactics that annoy me - that can apply to any Hornby product at the moment, its not a level playing field when it comes to choice of where to buy from. This just happens to be the most expensive, but its still cheaper than buying a 7mm Heljan loco, for example. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Wolf27 said:

No intention of walking and letting it go. Its something I have wanted for 40 years, its just the timing of Hornby's pricing tactics that annoy me - that can apply to any Hornby product at the moment, its not a level playing field when it comes to choice of where to buy from. This just happens to be the most expensive, but its still cheaper than buying a 7mm Heljan loco, for example. 

Theres plenty more expensive models out there, especially in Europe.

its a question of value, not money.

It sounds like your value motivation is greater than mine… i’m eyeing up a fleet of 86’s, and have a herd of Deltics coming.

• Like 1

Back to matters of the day, I am keen to see is the proportions of the black window surrounds are correct i.e. the black comes over the joint line between the nose cone and cab front, unlike the pre production samples. Hopefully I wont have break out the masking tape and black paint on what will be a £1,000,000 purchase.

6 minutes ago, Wolf27 said:

Back to matters of the day, I am keen to see is the proportions of the black window surrounds are correct i.e. the black comes over the joint line between the nose cone and cab front, unlike the pre production samples. Hopefully I wont have break out the masking tape and black paint on what will be a £1,000,000 purchase.

Such a little thing but I admit this bugged me as well. Thankfully the current pic of the model on Hornby's website suggests they have amended this so I am hopeful... 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, scumcat said:

I know it sounds daft but I feel like a second class citizen just because I ordered from a retailer. It is so obvious that something fowl is at play here. Hornby need to get a grip of this they are having PR catastrophe’s on multiple fronts.

but if these sets had turned up before Christmas, as was the expectation even as late as November, then the retailers wouldnt have been hit by the  most recent price rises, and Hornby orders would be stuck with RRP.

so I dont think this is as grandly conspiratorial as some might feel, its just a matter of timing of shipping thats been largely outside of Hornbys control for some while at the moment.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Wolf27 said:

:o have you bought a real one? :D

• Funny 5