Hornby APT (2020 tooling)

PaulRhB

21 minutes ago, scumcat said:

I’m not so sure, I could cancel with the retailer tonight and buy it cheaper and quicker with Hornby as they have provided me with a 12.5% off voucher as I have ordered the coronation coaches with them. So figure.

We have all read about the decline of the High Street Model Shop. Big reduction in footfall. High rents, business rates, cost of parking, Covid etc... l have just come up with another reason....

Another sleepless night. Off down to Aldi to buy a cheap Airfix kit. Give me something to take my mind off things.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

51 minutes ago, kylegordon said:

With the existence of the APT-U Ex-TS Development Vehicle, R4970, has Hornby ever shown any interest in developing and releasing more of the APT-U formation? As per https://www.apt-p.com/APTConfigurations.htm 

If Hornby can milk more from it then they will. They did two fictitious Hush Hush models to maximise sales. 

16 minutes ago, Wolf27 said:

If Hornby can milk more from it then they will. They did two fictitious Hush Hush models to maximise sales. 

As a 40 something DINK model rail fan, I can absolutely guarantee I would be stupid enough to buy into this endeavour :lol:

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, lyneux said:

Could always use a 91 repainted into the APT version of exec livery at either end.... wouldn't be far wrong.

Guy

Details, details, details....................

• Funny 3

15 hours ago, Wolf27 said:

Back to matters of the day, I am keen to see is the proportions of the black window surrounds are correct i.e. the black comes over the joint line between the nose cone and cab front, unlike the pre production samples. Hopefully I wont have break out the masking tape and black paint on what will be a £1,000,000 purchase.

Ah, so you are one of last weeks lottery millionaires then...............

:D

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, adb968008 said:

No ones forced to buy it.

You can always walk and let it go.

What started as 2 APTs with a lot of excitement has already jumped to 4 APTs with two more announced in January.

I’m betting that the combination of more versions, and higher prices means there wont be fear of missing out any more, so I've suddenly less urgency on buying this.

But it is not that straight forward is it? I have already paid for the coaches to make a 14 car set. Now it looks that through some possible duplicity whereby Hornby have them in stock but don't, can ship them themselves but haven't sent them to retailers, I will have to pay more to get the 7-car set to complete my 14 car set.

Glad that this is my one remaining Hornby pre-order as this is getting very close to being fraudulent...

Roy

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

But it is not that straight forward is it? I have already paid for the coaches to make a 14 car set. Now it looks that through some possible duplicity whereby Hornby have them in stock but don't, can ship them themselves but haven't sent them to retailers, I will have to pay more to get the 7-car set to complete my 14 car set.

Glad that this is my one remaining Hornby pre-order as this is getting very close to being fraudulent...

Roy

Sadly…. Back in August I took my delorean for a spin, to 21/01/22, it broke down there but I can pick it up again today, but I did manage to seed my discovery into this thread on page 52..

On 09/09/2021 at 14:36, adb968008 said:

Dont be too hasty…

you could find the coaches come out first, followed by a another price rise just before the main sets are released in January….

Hornby honour prices at the time of order, but retailers are apparently, not allowed to and are passing on the increases.

However…on page 53… Is a solution..

On 29/09/2021 at 08:58, adb968008 said:

If you dont get the set, you could always return the coaches and say the wheels are missing

:D

I could say it was time travel, sadly its just experience making Hornby more predictable… Ive been bitten before and am becoming more cautious with their products.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

Hornby will probably not lose money by honouring their website pre-orders simply because there is no dealer discount to factor in.

All they are doing is to look good to those who ordered at historic webstore prices (who they hope will continue to buy on-line directly) & to upset their retailers, many of whom have been faithful to the brand for decades.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 20/01/2022 at 19:46, adb968008 said:

No ones forced to buy it.

You can always walk and let it go.

What started as 2 APTs with a lot of excitement has already jumped to 4 APTs with two more announced in January.

I’m betting that the combination of more versions, and higher prices means there wont be fear of missing out any more, so I've suddenly less urgency on buying this.

Indeed, my 7 car order has been cancelled due to the price “shenanigans”. 

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Sadly…. Back in August I took my delorean for a spin, to 21/01/22, it broke down there but I can pick it up again today, but I did manage to seed my discovery into this thread on page 52..

If you need a new flux capacitor the girt big 'un Hornby have crow-barred into the APT coaches will probably do the job ;-)

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

My 7 car set is due to be d̶e̶l̶i̶v̶e̶r̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶m̶o̶r̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶(̶b̶y̶ ̶D̶P̶D̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶n̶k̶ ̶g̶o̶o̶d̶n̶e̶s̶s̶)̶. If there's any requests for photos I will do my best. Aware of the black window surrounds being one.

Edited by E100
DPD just drove straight past without attempting to deliver... ...now got to collect it tomorrow
  • Friendly/supportive 3