Hornby W1 Hush Hush

truffy

49 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I hope to have the opportunity of reviewing Hornby's latest W1 in BRM. 

A friend brought one over today which he's just bought.

745903454_HornbyoriginalW1.jpg.376a887280792db30f5a582da740fd5c.jpg

It's an astonishing model.

However, though I'd hoped to have given this a full blast on Little Bytham, its steps adjacent to the motion fouled the station's platform edges. These steps are way out of gauge with regard to width. Bytham's platforms were plotted from the prototype drawings we have, and everything else just sails through.

Has anyone else come across this clearance problem, please?   

What an astonishingly fine photograph Tony.

'Out-of-gauge' footrests notwithstanding the composition and lighting really are top-notch.  The colours, lining and detail, all as near perfect as one could wish, and as a fellow photographer with far less experience and 'nous' than you I know just how hard it is to acheive that balance between what the eye sees and the camera lens 'sees'. You get so much out of that full frame Nikon and lenses!

Thankyou. (I have two W1s on the way from the UK...  if one is damaged I can assess the situation and go from there).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Are these steps prototypical, or 'out of spec'?

Basically was the Gauge of the W1 considerably wider than all other locomotives, as implied, or is it just an excessive moulding, which can be trimmed down?

I see from the photos, the valvegear's on the inside, so it's not just a case of remove and replace slightly inset from the original position, if that were easily possible of course.

Al.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, atom3624 said:

Basically was the Gauge of the W1 considerably wider than all other locomotives, as implied, or is it just an excessive moulding, which can be trimmed down?

I see from the photos, the valvegear's on the inside, so it's not just a case of remove and replace slightly inset from the original position, if that were easily possible of course.

Al.

Definitely not prototypical.

As I posted a few days ago some of the front end is way too wide. Often the case with 4mm locos to clear the valve gear etc.

With the steps vertical the dimension over the treads is around 44mm, that is 11 feet, The cylinders are 39mm, which is 9' 9"

The GNR/LNER loading gauge was 9' 3" wide (by 13' 9" high)

3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

However, though I'd hoped to have given this a full blast on Little Bytham, its steps adjacent to the motion fouled the station's platform edges. These steps are way out of gauge with regard to width. Bytham's platforms were plotted from the prototype drawings we have, and everything else just sails through.

Has anyone else come across this clearance problem, please?   

Yes, i've already mentioned it a few posts back (Saturday 23:47)

EDIT

The drawing shows the widest part is the front platform at 9' 0" everything else is within that.

So it is a full 8mm too wide over the steps.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I suspect Santas got an easy night on delivering both of these… but if Hermes cant get them to the front door in one piece, theres no hope down the chimney either, so maybe thats for the better.

From what I've read on this forum about Hermes, I get the impression they aim them down the chimney.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Basically was the Gauge of the W1 considerably wider than all other locomotives, as implied,

A big beast, but the real thing had to be in gauge, otherwise whats happening with footsteps on models would have been a somewhat scary event on the real thing too.

if you look at real pictures (and the model), the actual shape of the bottom step itself is a very odd shape, presumably design as such so as to keep it in gauge.

5 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

From what I've read on this forum about Hermes, I get the impression they aim them down the chimney.

My problem with Hermes was they tried to get a fragile parcel through the front door in spite of it being too large...

I was left with a mangled and broken mess on the front step after they eventually gave up  trying to wind it through the letterbox :-(

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, melmerby said:

Definitely not prototypical.

As I posted a few days ago some of the front end is way too wide. Often the case with 4mm locos to clear the valve gear etc.

With the steps vertical the dimension over the treads is around 44mm, that is 11 feet, The cylinders are 39mm, which is 9' 9"

The GNR/LNER loading gauge was 9' 3" wide (by 13' 9" high)

Yes, i've already mentioned it a few posts back (Saturday 23:47)

EDIT

The drawing shows the widest part is the front platform at 9' 0" everything else is within that.

So it is a full 8mm too wide over the steps.

Same applies on the SEF model but not quite so much. 42.8mm width at the front steps

image.png.86426994c2ca587037e6bf078d115f7e.png

I wonder if that would clear LB's platform edges?

The Hornby 'splayed' steps must have been at least 45mm to foul the Loco Lift

It would be great to see the Hornby design dimension as intended over the steps from a CAD drawing. Plus the clearance to the running gear

Edited by zr2498

The W1 arrived here in Australia intact.  No damage anywhere. The retailer in UK I bought it from checks before sending and packs it well.

Have run it in on a rolling road and is running fine.  I have had it pulling seven of Hornby's lighted Pullmans.

After reading that the steps are fouled by Station platforms, I checked mine. Yes just runs along the side on both inside and outside platforms.

So will let it wear it down or I may lose the steps and glue them back. Or will attempt to file them a bit, very carefully.

Very happy with it, nice Christmas Present from the wife.

Mark

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

9 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Generally, you only ever hear the negatives & few of the positives (this thread is a perfect example of that).

Other carriers are also bad at times.

The problem does not lie with the carriers - the problem lies with us, the end user & why do you ask ?

Simple, we want "free" shipping or dont want to pay enough to attract a better workforce.

Maybe, we need a separate thread for shipping/carriers ?

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, zr2498 said:

Same applies on the SEF model but not quite so much. 42.8mm width at the front steps

image.png.86426994c2ca587037e6bf078d115f7e.png

I wonder if that would clear LB's platform edges?

The Hornby 'splayed' steps must have been at least 45mm to foul the Loco Lift

It would be great to see the Hornby design dimension as intended over the steps from a CAD drawing. Plus the clearance to the running gear

Good morning Dave,

'I wonder if that would clear LB's platform edges?'

The answer is, I don't know. 

W1.jpg.b81394cc3d0876096c7bd4848fb5caa2.jpg

This is the only SEF original W1 I've run on Little Bytham (builder/painter unknown). Might this example have had clearance problems, so those steps were left off? 

The Gresley Beat certainly ran a South Eastern Finecast W1.

590502142_GresleyBeat04W1onexpress.jpg.53b48496b30c00fe5ea22a7c237e1816.jpg

Of course, that had no platforms, though the steps on this beautifully-built example do seem to be within gauge - at least no wider than the cylinders. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, SamThomas said:

Generally, you only ever hear the negatives & few of the positives (this thread is a perfect example of that).

The problem does not lie with the carriers - the problem lies with us, the end user & why do you ask ?

Simple, we want "free" shipping or dont want to pay enough to attract a better workforce.

Maybe, we need a separate thread for shipping/carriers ?

I once received an undamaged parcel from Hermes.

I assumed it was a mistake, sent it back and complained.

:D

• Funny 15

9 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

I once received an undamaged parcel from Hermes.

I assumed it was a mistake, sent it back and complained.

:D

Actually I have found Hermes no worse than any other carrier in terms of the probability of loss or damage.  Their deliveries are certainly slower overall, but that's why they're cheaper.  The staff round here are excellent, although they may be more "put upon" by their management than other firms.  What I object to is the rip-off extra charge for loss/damage when they exclude just about anything that you might want to send, so if I send anything of value via them I insure it independently through a company called Secursus.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, SamThomas said:

Well, Hermes don't fare very well in surveys, not the worst but almost so.

The latest Which survey (Nov 21) put them just above Yodel, this was from 4002 replies

Other surveys have returned similar results, they are usually near the bottom and have been for some years.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Dave,

'I wonder if that would clear LB's platform edges?'

The answer is, I don't know. 

W1.jpg.b81394cc3d0876096c7bd4848fb5caa2.jpg

This is the only SEF original W1 I've run on Little Bytham (builder/painter unknown). Might this example have had clearance problems, so those steps were left off? 

The Gresley Beat certainly ran a South Eastern Finecast W1.

590502142_GresleyBeat04W1onexpress.jpg.53b48496b30c00fe5ea22a7c237e1816.jpg

Of course, that had no platforms, though the steps on this beautifully-built example do seem to be within gauge - at least no wider than the cylinders. 

Regards,

Tony. 

The cylinders appear 'within gauge' as well.

Al.

3 hours ago, Markeg said:

The W1 arrived here in Australia intact.  No damage anywhere. The retailer in UK I bought it from checks before sending and packs it well.

Have run it in on a rolling road and is running fine.  I have had it pulling seven of Hornby's lighted Pullmans.

After reading that the steps are fouled by Station platforms, I checked mine. Yes just runs along the side on both inside and outside platforms.

So will let it wear it down or I may lose the steps and glue them back. Or will attempt to file them a bit, very carefully.

Very happy with it, nice Christmas Present from the wife.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Very glad yours arrived safe and sound.

From what I've seen of photos of some with the steps broken off, I wouldn't wait for that to happen - seems to take part of the running board as well on occasions - not a clean break.

Just an observation.

Al.

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, resin001 said:

Just received a set of steps from Hornby to replace one of the missing ones on my Hush Hush - many thanks Hornby - Now shall I put the spare on ebay ?

( Only kidding ! ) 

I hope that's tongue in cheek:yes:

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mark,

From what I've seen of photos of some with the steps broken off, I wouldn't wait for that to happen - seems to take part of the running board as well on occasions - not a clean break.

Just an observation.

Al.

I've managed to knock both off mine during handling but it is just glue failure, no plastic damaged.

In correspondence with Simon Kohler this morning, I'm informed that the steps will be supplied as separate items for the customer to fit (or not) on future W1 releases. 

The reason for their being 'outboard' so to speak is because of tight clearances between their rear faces and the motion. 

A case of 'you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't'! 

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

34 minutes ago, scumcat said:

Our Myhermes delivery lady is fantastic. If you are not In she comes back later. Also has my wife’s mob number. However the problem we usually have are further up the chain.

I agree - I guess any service is as good as its staff.  We are lucky enough to live in a village and hence have got to know the local Hermes girl and her predecessor quite well.  Polite and helpful, and uses her common sense about what parcels may be left where when we are out. She's just been on holiday and both delivery and collections went awry in her absence but following her return are now back on track.

• Like 1

The Hornby con rod nut spanner I ordered from Amazon last night following Ian's post was delivered this morning and I was able to replace 10000's lost crankpin successfully.  She has completed a number of circuits on my layout and, as previously reported, is quiet and powerful.

Dan at Derails had offered his usual assistance but fortunately it was not required on this occasion.

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, 2750Papyrus said:

The Hornby con rod nut spanner I ordered from Amazon last night following Ian's post was delivered this morning and I was able to replace 10000's lost crankpin successfully.  She has completed a number of circuits on my layout and, as previously reported, is quiet and powerful.

Dan at Derails had offered his usual assistance but fortunately it was not required on this occasion.

Glad to post something useful..and of course that you’re sort

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We've generally been very lucky in our area wrt 'Hermes final delivery' personnel - always seem to take care.

Part of the original problem is of course the poor initial packaging, which would 'encourage' potential damage irrespective of final destination deliveries.

They'll all pass via a hub, on various miles of bar-code recognition conveyor systems wouldn't they - a bit like T5 Heathrow baggage handling!!

Al.

Another thought / observation ....

In Sam's Trains' report, he mentioned the poor geometry / location of the front bogie and that of the loco / tender drawbar.

Have any other owners had this issue, which naturally restricted the weighting on the drivers?

Al.