Hornby W1 Hush Hush

truffy

5 hours ago, robmcg said:

My photos show that it was perfectly packed with cushioning on all sides inside a larger box, it was unmarked.  No fault there at all.

Must have been (unluckily?) transported upright and downward-facing with weight/vibration/impact  as in normal transhipment from truck to pallet to aircraft etc.

2062578697_Img_1024(2)a_r2080a.jpg.e183402be440c2b36983303e7c9175a9.jpg

Img_1025ab_r2080a.jpg.4aaa8bab9a982337b8a1f0c11ed40310.jpg

IMG_1028abc_r2080a.jpg.2f4f445c89cc5feedb641b91f2a31ace.jpg

Img_1054a_r2080.jpg.2e6a54994a2251fec2c48b2a009cdd0d.jpg

At least the steps are all there. :)

Hi Rob - really sorry that you had some damage on this one - the Smoke deflectors on both my A2/3s were to. But I think your repair is pretty good & I`d suggest that with a bit of weathering you should be able to make it disappear - maybe using powders?. And yes - its a long way to send it back to the UK.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Rshakes3 said:

Hi Rob - really sorry that you had some damage on this one - the Smoke deflectors on both my A2/3s were to. But I think your repair is pretty good & I`d suggest that with a bit of weathering you should be able to make it disappear - maybe using powders?. And yes - its a long way to send it back to the UK.

Ah! powders. of course, and they won't remove paint....  thankyou.

I did just for my own 'way' of doing things take out the cracks with editing, it took no time at all (for me) and of couse the model is still devalued... 

Looking at the other side of this model, un-edited, the cracks are all but invisible, and what an impressive engine.

Img_1079a_r2080a.jpg.d1cb4c577cd4c90ae92ee5d0d6b353e6.jpg

Img_1076a_r2080ab.jpg.291c74da427fead85fe8f7a9178c610b.jpg

Who knows what my R3841 will be like?  I currently think the above is very impressive and I'll not send it back,  but it depends on how R3841 is, to some degree.

In fact I'm moved to say, 'what a stunning model!'

Edited by robmcg
additions
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I fitted a Zimo sound decoder to  mine yesterday I recieved from Digitrains. Very nice sound chip. I ran it today off and on for about four hours ran beautifully with no issues. A friend of mine was over for the session. He and I never noticed the flangless rear bogie unless we made ourselves notice it. I don't tend to look at trailing or forward bogies when running  my locos so to me it's not a big issue. Just  my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, robmcg said:

Ah! powders. of course, and they won't remove paint....  thankyou.

I did just for my own 'way' of doing things take out the cracks with editing, it took no time at all (for me) and of couse the model is still devalued... 

Looking at the other side of this model, un-edited, the cracks are all but invisible, and what an impressive engine.

Img_1079a_r2080a.jpg.d1cb4c577cd4c90ae92ee5d0d6b353e6.jpg

Img_1076a_r2080ab.jpg.291c74da427fead85fe8f7a9178c610b.jpg

Who knows what my R3841 will be like?  I currently think the above is very impressive and I'll not send it back,  but it depends on how R3841 is, to some degree.

In fact I'm moved to say, 'what a stunning model!'

Those splayed front steps are rather noticable, which seems to be a bit of a variable.

Those on mine weren't splayed but I have managed to knock both off at different times due to insufficient gluing.

My third attempt to obtain one has been successful! A beautifully packaged specimen arrived today from retailer number three, with the Hornby box swathed in bubble-wrap and cushioned in a bubble nest in a a much larger carton, all of which which has done the job perfectly. It is also interesting that this example is in the latest Hornby packaging - which is exactly the same as the original but with the addition of two medium-firm open-cell-foam blocks placed one on each side of the lower smokebox above the cylinders. Clearly the intent is that these will prevent the model moving from side-to-side in the packaging and thereby damaging the smoke deflectors.

I cannot say that the foam blocks actually work since the model was so well and so sensibly packed by the retailer, but I can understand the reasoning behind them.

I now will wait with interest to see what retailer number 2 proposes as a solution to the broken model. 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2

15 hours ago, 828CC said:

Rather than fine abrasive paper, I'd be tempted to try T-Cut or similar on a cotton bud perhaps?   Test on an area maybe underneath the loco or tender first, but potentially less aggressive, though maybe more effort...

After glueing my W1 smoke deflector (same break as most others) I gave the fix a little wipe with 806 unbonder on a soft cloth. It did improve things a bit but I still know it's there! Having the playpen layout being principally 6 roundy roundy tracks with me in the middle, the best solution is to always have the W1 on one of the clockwise circuits, thereby only seeing the good side of this remarkable loco!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

5 hours ago, craneman said:

My third attempt to obtain one has been successful! A beautifully packaged specimen arrived today from retailer number three, with the Hornby box swathed in bubble-wrap and cushioned in a bubble nest in a a much larger carton, all of which which has done the job perfectly. It is also interesting that this example is in the latest Hornby packaging - which is exactly the same as the original but with the addition of two medium-firm open-cell-foam blocks placed one on each side of the lower smokebox above the cylinders. Clearly the intent is that these will prevent the model moving from side-to-side in the packaging and thereby damaging the smoke deflectors.

I cannot say that the foam blocks actually work since the model was so well and so sensibly packed by the retailer, but I can understand the reasoning behind them.

I now will wait with interest to see what retailer number 2 proposes as a solution to the broken model. 

I'm very pleased that this addition to the model's packaging has been made, and I do hope the many instances of disappointment described in this thread are reduced or eliminated.

Even though my repair to the front wing was rather akin to trying to glue an old family heirloom back together, and is visible from one side, I am pleased to have been spared the broken tender connection, broken or missing steps.

Interesting that added foam to better locate the front of the engine has been added. I would have thought that the whole production and packaging run would have been done in one run, a few months ago. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, robmcg said:

Interesting that added foam to better locate the front of the engine has been added. I would have thought that the whole production and packaging run would have been done in one run, a few months ago. 

It's possible that it's a Dealer-added packaging mod., or Hornby have sent out foam blocks to their Dealers.  My guess is the first option...

• Like 1

The excellent retailer from whom model number 3 came did tell me that "exactly half the stock delivered from Hornby to me was damaged but I had a surprisingly quick replacement turn around from them (just 4 days) which is super rare with Hornby. Also the replacements have 2 foam pads added to the front of the plastic cradle".

This tells me that Hornby is (a) well aware that there is an issues, (b) has at least some replacement bodies or unsold models to hand to supply as replacements, and (c) is adding the foam itself. It is of course possible that the dealer added the foam to my model's packaging after seeing what Hornby is now doing, but I have no reason to suppose that this is the case.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, craneman said:

The excellent retailer from whom model number 3 came did tell me that "exactly half the stock delivered from Hornby to me was damaged but I had a surprisingly quick replacement turn around from them (just 4 days) which is super rare with Hornby. Also the replacements have 2 foam pads added to the front of the plastic cradle".

This tells me that Hornby is (a) well aware that there is an issues, (b) has at least some replacement bodies or unsold models to hand to supply as replacements, and (c) is adding the foam itself. It is of course possible that the dealer added the foam to my model's packaging after seeing what Hornby is now doing, but I have no reason to suppose that this is the case.

Thanks for the additional info. If possible a photo of the extra foam pads positioned would be handy for those wishing to store and handle the loco in it's packaging.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

My Hush hush arrived with the same damage as Rob's loco:
spacer.png

At first I didn't even notice. All wheels were on the track and it ran well. Now I sent an email to Kernow and hope they will be able to replace it.

Leen.

Edited by 3737
  • Friendly/supportive 3

19 minutes ago, Markn said:

From a fb post I've just seen, it looks like some of the rebuilt W1s are already for sale overseas!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/137680486384860/permalink/2133940523425503/

Probably shipped direct from China to NZ. Happened in the past with other models I think

To my untrained eye, the colour and lining looks very good on this attempt.

While perhaps not as fine a moulding as the W1,  but I have never seen a report of broken deflectors on a Hornby P2.   Other than poor motors on some models it seems the P2 was relatively free of assembly issues.

10 minutes ago, GWR-fan said:

While perhaps not as fine a moulding as the W1,  but I have never seen a report of broken deflectors on a Hornby P2.   Other than poor motors on some models it seems the P2 was relatively free of assembly issues.

I was just thinking this very same thing!!

What is causing the fracturing of the 'smoke deflectors'?

Al.

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, GWR-fan said:

Much less fine detail as it was IIRC part of the Design (not so) Clever era.

It was also only ever really a Railroad model with a "super" version.

Bit of a half way house between basic and super detailed models

10 minutes ago, Markn said:

Apologies, didn't realise you had to be a follower of the page, so here's a screenshot of it.

Screenshot_20220107-224745_Facebook.jpg

Highly unusual is it not, that it's distributed many thousands of miles away, first, and never mentioned on these pages, until now?

Hornby still state:

Winter 2021-2022 - which is now, and 'available to pre-order'.

Al.

6 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Highly unusual is it not, that it's distributed many thousands of miles away, first, and never mentioned on these pages, until now?

Hornby still state:

Winter 2021-2022 - which is now, and 'available to pre-order'.

Al.

Living downunder,  I picked up a "Clan McDonald" from a Victorian retailer about two weeks before the model was released in the UK (and at a 20% discount).  Total cost including postage was less than GBP100.00.

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, GWR-fan said:

My P2 had broken deflectors, at least 5 years ago.

The smokebox was a separate assembly, I had to detach the smokebox from the boiler and remove the boiler handrails, remove / swap the unit (which was smokebox, frame and bufferbeam as one unit), then reattach the handrails, fit new buffers and lamp irons.

I dont think I was the only one at the time

https://www.petersspares.com/Hornby-x6665-class-p2-cock-o-the-north-smoke-deflectors.ir

The damage was pretty much what Ive seen on the W1.

Edited by adb968008
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, adb968008 said:

My P2 had broken deflectors, at least 5 years ago....................................

The damage was pretty much what Ive seen on the W1.

I am assuming the damage was intransit damage as received.  I would say that your experience is in the minority.  With the W1 it seems the failure rate could be as high as 50% for the initial release.

• Agree 2

Broken deflectors was an issue that I have been ignorant of in the past.  As I had never heard of broken deflectors on the P2,  I went looking and found this example.  Whether the damage was self inflicted or intransit damage I do not know,  but I still believe that if there was a fragility issue with the P2 deflectors then it would have been more common.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/741960/hornby_r3246tts_po25_class_p2_2_8_2_cock_o_the_north_in_lner_green_tts_sound_fitted_pre_owned_dama/stockdetail