Hornby W1 Hush Hush

truffy

Today I joined the ranks of frustrated purchasers of this model!

On 29th December Hattons told me (in reply to my enquiry) that they had cancelled my order some 8 months previously, and although they assure me that I "should" have received an email at the time (dead right, I should have been told!) I most definitely did not. As a result I will not be buying from them again. Ever.

As a result I had to hunt round to find someone else who still had a grey W1 in stock, and did indeed find somewhere. I ordered it on the 29th despite the now-premium price, and today it arrived - in nothing but the Hornby box with a sealed plastic posting bag round the outside. As a result of this (and Hornby's inadequate packaging design), both smoke deflectors are very comprehensively smashed. I have just emailed the supplier in the vague hope that they still have an undamaged replacement, but I don't really have high expectations.

Needless to say I am really not very happy!

Does anyone know of any suppliers who (a) still have a grey W1 (either unnamed or British Enterprise) in stock, and (b) understand the need for supplementary packing? If so I would be grateful for a heads-up.

• Friendly/supportive 6

1 hour ago, craneman said:

Today I joined the ranks of frustrated purchasers of this model!

On 29th December Hattons told me (in reply to my enquiry) that they had cancelled my order some 8 months previously, and although they assure me that I "should" have received an email at the time (dead right, I should have been told!) I most definitely did not. As a result I will not be buying from them again. Ever.

As a result I had to hunt round to find someone else who still had a grey W1 in stock, and did indeed find somewhere. I ordered it on the 29th despite the now-premium price, and today it arrived - in nothing but the Hornby box with a sealed plastic posting bag round the outside. As a result of this (and Hornby's inadequate packaging design), both smoke deflectors are very comprehensively smashed. I have just emailed the supplier in the vague hope that they still have an undamaged replacement, but I don't really have high expectations.

Needless to say I am really not very happy!

Does anyone know of any suppliers who (a) still have a grey W1 (either unnamed or British Enterprise) in stock, and (b) understand the need for supplementary packing? If so I would be grateful for a heads-up.

Ebay sellers appear be achieving UKP260-300 at the moment and sometimes offer good photos of unamaged engines at time of sale, and returns and refunds are more-or-less guaranteed. Regular sellers have reputations to protect, too.

Small consolation.  I have one stuck in a NZ airport and and quite nervous. As a precaution I bought two in early Dec one hasn't been recorded as leaving Royal Mail's 'partner' yet in the UK.  We live in hope.

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, craneman said:

It was well documented months ago that Hatton's had cancelled all Hornby pre-orders as they cannot guarantee that Hornby would let them have the stock.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, robmcg said:

Ebay sellers appear be achieving UKP260-300 at the moment and sometimes offer good photos of unamaged engines at time of sale, and returns and refunds are more-or-less guaranteed. Regular sellers have reputations to protect, too.

Small consolation.  I have one stuck in a NZ airport and and quite nervous. As a precaution I bought two in early Dec one hasn't been recorded as leaving Royal Mail's 'partner' yet in the UK.  We live in hope.

Wishing you luck with these. It shouldn't have to be pot luck though.

With such a high percentage of damaged deflectors Hornby would be wise to 'step up to the plate', admit that there is an issue and offer replacement body shells for those wishing to replace them (following proof of damage). Surely better for the customer who does not have to wait for another full delivery with possibly the same issue. Must be easier to pack a body shell well enough as lighter in weight. Just make an announcement to this effect Hornby (please). Even if it takes some time for the new batch of body shells to be made it might alleviate the frustration and anxiety. It must also make economic sense to do so.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, sandwich station said:

It was well documented months ago that Hatton's had cancelled all Hornby pre-orders as they cannot guarantee that Hornby would let them have the stock.

Maybe so, but only helpful if you hang out regularly in forums like this, which I'm afraid as a rule I don't.

I don't think it is unreasonable to expect to be told by a supplier in the event that a pre-order has been cancelled, and it is evident that many on here were told. I however was not, and I rather take exception with the supplier's assertion that I was told but the email must have gone to my spam folder or wastebasket and been missed; it did not. I am extremely careful with email (it is my business) , and no other email from Hattons has ever gone astray. I am sorry to say it is this insistence that it is somehow my fault which has annoyed me most.

I fully accept that it is not Hattons fault that their allocation was insufficient.

I am disappointed with Hornsby's lame packaging, for this there is really no excuse . I wonder what proportion of the model's production run has been destroyed by this monumental blunder.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Well-known shops are over-pricing these on Ebay.

There's one seller - private I think - selling one for £500 AND adding P&P on top!

Love the locomotive, and the look is pretty decent despite the failings aired within this thread.

To all owners, I wish you a very happy ownership.

Glad to see / read there are many arriving in 'as required' condition, not just the failures.

Al.

• Like 1

Well after a 25 day wait mine has arrived in Australia. The Model Centre checked it for me before sending. Very well packed. Nothing broken runs beautifuly both ways.  All pick ups work which is surprising for any Hornby model.  Thanks again to the Model Centre.

20220104_123822.jpg

20220104_123831.jpg

20220104_123850.jpg

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

Likewise, very glad yours arrived in good condition and was well-packaged as indicated.

I've lost count the number of Hornby tender locomotives I've had to dismantle and adjust the wipers on, just so that they'll actually touch the wheels - received totally flat as 'stamped' out of the press on production it appears!

Al.

18 hours ago, mvwilson said:

Well after a 25 day wait mine has arrived in Australia. The Model Centre checked it for me before sending. Very well packed. Nothing broken runs beautifuly both ways.  All pick ups work which is surprising for any Hornby model.  Thanks again to the Model Centre.

20220104_123822.jpg

20220104_123831.jpg

20220104_123850.jpg

I have one arriving soon from TMC and it has been scanned in Auckland, I'm pleased that they have paceked yours very well, I live in hope! 

Cheers

• Like 3

Bad news my R3840 from TMC arrived  well packed, after just month from the UK which is quite good, unmarked inner box, no rattles, I was optimistic.

I' took photos of everything to how another successful delivery, but no, it's a lottery. Broken top front, one side loose in plastic housing, one side cracked.

Sending back from NZ to the poor retailer isn't very appealing, could take a while with current airmail times, but I'll try to think of what best to do other than bleat. 

edit, I lack dexterity but a friend glued it on with polystyrene on a brush , a one-chance cure, and there is just-visible line if you look, adjacent to chimney.  Two or more months for replacement or refund didn't appeal, and to be honest the repair is not bad

Now to find out if it runs well.   Photos to follow if requested. Or even if not requested.  :)   

Edited by robmcg
additions
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, robmcg said:

Bad news my R3840 from TMC arrived  well packed, after just month from the UK which is quite good, unmarked inner box, no rattles, I was optimistic.

I' took photos of everything to how another successful delivery, but no, it's a lottery. Broken top front, one side loose in plastic housing, one side cracked.

Sending back from NZ to the poor retailer isn't very appealing, could take a while with current airmail times, but I'll try to think of what best to do other than bleat. 

edit, I lack dexterity but a friend glued it on with polystyrene on a brush , a one-chance cure, and there is just-visible line if you look, adjacent to chimney.  Two or more months for replacement or refund didn't appeal, and to be honest the repair is not bad

Now to find out if it runs well.   Photos to follow if requested. Or even if not requested.  :)   

Really sorry to hear that - hopefully Hornby will do the decent thing and issue replacement bodyshells to those affected on production of photo evidence?

• Agree 1

Is anyone aware of any comment from Hornby on this unacceptable situation? Hornby must at present be getting a lot of these back from retailers and from direct sales, and (or so I am reliably informed by the third retailer I have approached in my attempts to buy an undamaged model) have altered the packaging.

Presently anyone receiving a broken one from a retailer can only take the matter up with the retailer, and it is evident that some retailers are better than others. it is also hardly satisfactory if the retailer cannot supply a replacement due to the general shortage of models.

Not a good situation for a manufacturer to have created, and I feel Hornby should take some decisive action promptly if it is to emerge without reputational damage. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, robmcg said:

Well done effecting a repair. Although not in NZ, more OSA (other side of Accrington!), mine arrived with a broken smoke deflector that I decided to fix rather than return for a non existent replacement. Not 'as good as new' but well ok for my old eyes.

This sounds like the 'ice cube' is either too loose, allowing movement, or too tight, causing stress on the moulding, which any additional sudden movements will exaggerate ... to the point of failures, as we're seeing.

Hornby don't do the 'double packaging' of many, like Heljan, Dapol, Hattons ... with the ice cube, then foam, inside the sturdy card external box - this should be a consideration for the now seriously expensive higher-end-range locomotives, particularly a 'flagship' model like the Hush Hush.

Very sorry for Rob.

Out of curiosity, with the utmost of care taken in the repair Rob, how visible is that repair / failure?

Al.

2 hours ago, craneman said:

Not a good situation for a manufacturer to have created, and I feel Hornby should take some decisive action promptly if it is to emerge without reputational damage. 

Hornby may not really be over concerned - it may still be a relatively small percentage of models defective when compared to the total sales.

Large companies simply do not care about small percentages of dissatisfied companies or reputation (especially when they have few competitors) - what they do care about are shareholders, exectutive saleries &/or bonus

I'm just thinking of the 2nd hand market if/as/when some/many sell on their pride and joy ... potentially not even knowing it is a failed one, or that with this potentially poor packaging, it may fail in transit to the new proud owner, with the subsequent claims, etc.

Al.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 03/01/2022 at 13:47, melmerby said:

but they still scan it when they dump it.

e.g. get parcel out of van, scan it as they walk/run to door and leave it.

I just received a courier parcel from somewhere "Oop North" - handed to me personally (it was a "signed for" package - perhaps this is the answer?), and took 1 day 2h 18m from start to finish.  The Courier?  Hermes.  I'm off for a lie down to get over the shock....

3 hours ago, atom3624 said:

This sounds like the 'ice cube' is either too loose, allowing movement, or too tight, causing stress on the moulding, which any additional sudden movements will exaggerate ... to the point of failures, as we're seeing.

The ice cube offers pretty much zilch shock absorption in the event of impact in my book.

3 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Hornby don't do the 'double packaging' of many, like Heljan, Dapol, Hattons ... with the ice cube, then foam, inside the sturdy card external box - this should be a consideration for the now seriously expensive higher-end-range locomotives, particularly a 'flagship' model like the Hush Hush.

Of the "Big 3", Heljan are my favourite box makers - very strong and with sponge inner to take any shocks.  In fairness I've not purchased a loco from them for some years so they may have changed from this packaging method since

3 hours ago, SamThomas said:

Hornby may not really be over concerned - it may still be a relatively small percentage of models defective when compared to the total sales.

Whilst the numbers may be small (or they could be huge - are there any retailers reading this thread who'd like to offer figures?) and so the financial impact correspondingly low (assuming low figures) the reputational damage is much more of an issue I think - and big companies really don't like that. 

Edited by polybear
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I just tried a partial but simple botch for the flangeless wheels. It makes some improvement to my eye at least.

I dropped the keeper plate with 2 kadee brown 15 thou washers and retightened. The weight of the wheels allows them to drop to around the rail head, or more specifically the centre part of the tread does. On roughly straight track the visible gap is removed and the wheels turn for much of the time.  On curves the chamfer and lack of flange mean the gap reappears and the rolling stops but it still looks better to me much of the time. Also there have been no derailments so far forwards or backwards, I assume because of the chamfer on both sides.

(I think Peco grey washers may be the same thickness as the kadee ones I used).

Tom

PS I meant one washer per screw

Edited by Dominion
Clarity
  • Informative/Useful 3