The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Corona-virus - Impact of the Health Situation worldwide

The Stationmaster

Message added by AY Mod

Please don't rely on an RMweb topic as being a reliable guide to what is happening or what you should be doing on such an important issue as Coronavirus; consult government resources or seek medical advice through the appropriate channel if you are in doubt.

17 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

You should not be worried by being worried and anyone on here that has taken the piss needs to shake their head just a little and maybe wake up. You are reacting to events that involved you some time ago and that is a very sound strategy. If you are never infected again then you can look at your action as worth the time taken. If you do get poorly then damn good planning and thoughtfulness for you family and others on your part. There are far too many folk just being blase about this and yes it might be overhyped but ti is there and many folk elsewhere are having a bloody awful time. 

Well done mate and stay well.

Phil

I was involved in some city planning for the 'aftermath' of a 'event' where large numbers of survivors where required to be moved out of a big northern city to smaller towns...multi agency type of thing, I was there for rail industry in a practical operations point of view the high level manager I attended with kept saying yes we can do that.....had to keep reminding him it ok to say no we cant! (To be fair he was useless, think he was sent to her him out of office.....)

Concussion was your on you own!....all local government emergency planning that went on after ww2 and during cold war has gone.... 

national health service is Brill but only just survived from crisis to crisis. 

If some body criticises any one for prepping.....when your illness comes and you would kill for a few paracetamol....

some countries it's a legal requirement for 7 days emergency ration kit to be kept for every household.! May be it's time to start to look after our self rather than relying on gov / local authorities to help 

The present crisis WILL PASS it may be bad or not so bad!....

The good new is today when out with dog found 5p! On floor....bad news didn't get a single number on lotto !

Stay safe help each other.

G

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

What baffles me is that we have needed this event to promote the general public into adopting sensible hand washing and hygiene precautions that they should have been doing anyway!

I was talking to my Dad on Friday night, in the target group, mid seventies and with underlying health condition and he is not in the least bit bothered by all the fuss.

My mother did buy an extra box of teabags though...

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

"A brew will see you through!" [Definitely not offered as medical advice]

I'm waiting for the T-shirt / poster "Keep Calm and Covid On" ;)

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

And in other news this advert has just appeared on the site.  I wonder what they mean by "huge numbers".  I have seen what I would consider to be a very small number of face-masks being worn.  All but one have been of a fairly standard disposable type.  The exception was the chap wearing what appeared to be a full-on gas mask over much of his face and with goggles over his eyes.  For what it's worth, and it might or might not be connected in any way, he also stank of herb.  I have yet to see one of the advertised masks.  I see probably several tens of thousands of people each working day.  

Screenshot 2020-03-08 at 12.18.56.png

37 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

I am not a person who keeps a diary of these things, but I would estimate that a toilet roll will last the wife and I just over a week. Therefore one packet of 12 would suffice for around 3 months. I can understand that with a big family these numbers are increased substantially; although with parents at work and children at school - the home consumption would not be simply a direct multiple. 

How many months are these loo-roll hoarders expecting to have to survive with no access to basic commodities? 

• Living abroad with my young family for 12 years changed our whole attitude to loo paper. 
  • It was hardly available
  • Daily essentials like rice, sugar, salt, tins of fish, tinned milk were rarely openly available on shop shelves (and never included loo rolls)
  • Most folk cleaned their bums up with water - even in desert areas (using their left hand - which you never shook hands with, or even waved at friends with )
  • The most sought after luxury was a Japanese electric toilet.
  • The most awful thought (still with our kids and grandchildren) is to imagine using loo roll to polish some disgusting faeces into one's pubes.
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, runs as required said:

• The most sought after luxury was a Japanese electric toilet.

There’s something mildly disturbing about sitting on a warm (Pre-heated) toilet seat. Though I do like their heated mirrors in bathrooms.. no condensation on them after a hot shower.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

What ever the media, antisocial or otherwise, thinks and promulgates those figures do not give me personally any cause for concern.  There are just a couple of areas - and those areas are not very specifically defined in the table - where double figures of confirmed cases have been notified

It is, however, worth remembering that the number of confirmed cases in the UK reported on 7th March was about where Italy was in confirmed cases about 11 or 12 days previously.

Rate of change is a better indicator than absolute values, but with the fortunately small numbers we currently have is quite a noisy signal.

It's probably too early to tell whether we will follow Italy's pattern, but delayed, or whether the UK will follow a different path. Any models will need to take into account not just growth in cases so far, but patterns of daily population movement for  work and regional variations in social interaction.

I do wonder whether the miserable weather we've had recently has dampened down people's enthusiasm to go out socially and slowed things down a bit.

Edited by sharris
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

20 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

There’s something mildly disturbing about sitting on a warm (Pre-heated) toilet seat.

I can't comment on Japanese heated toilet seats, but I find Brazil's fondness for padded seats somewhat disturbing.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, runs as required said:

Most folk cleaned their bums up with water - even in desert areas (using their left hand - which you never shook hands with, or even waved at friends with )

For as long as has been known this is the Arab way and is known in other places too.  You eat and greet with your right hand and clean with your left hand.  And that is why the right hand is cut off as punishment for such things as theft.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, adb968008 said:

There’s something mildly disturbing about sitting on a warm (Pre-heated) toilet seat. Though I do like their heated mirrors in bathrooms.. no condensation on them after a hot shower.

No need for heated toilet seats...

If it's cold out side.....let wife gi to loo first!

• Funny 1

5 hours ago, John M Upton said:

What baffles me is that we have needed this event to promote the general public into adopting sensible hand washing and hygiene precautions that they should have been doing anyway!

I was talking to my Dad on Friday night, in the target group, mid seventies and with underlying health condition and he is not in the least bit bothered by all the fuss.

My mother did buy an extra box of teabags though...

The only thing wrong with 'target' groups bit set in there ways....the father in law when he was poorly in later years could boast that a pint of tettleys took 2 or 3 rings on glass to go down when in his prime....but when dehydrated and needed to drink water was painful watching the smallest sips of the smallest glass of water! Made me want to use the USA water boarding method! 

On 05/03/2020 at 11:31, AY Mod said:

Stuff the day job, I'm off to Oz with a ute full of Andrex to make my fortune.

20 hours ago, John M Upton said:

I went on a cruise a few years ago and was stunned at the number of men (and boys) who visited the toilets and walked straight out after they had finished - this was toilets and urinals. That we still have to discuss such basic hygiene leaves me gobsmacked.

Craig W 

• Agree 6

1 minute ago, Craigw said:

I went on a cruise a few years ago and was stunned at the number of men (and boys) who visited the toilets and walked straight out after they had finished - this was toilets and urinals. That we still have to discuss such basic hygiene leaves me gobsmacked.

Craig W 

The same at places like motorway services, when visiting the gents, most people wash their hands, but there's a sizeable minority who just walk straight out after relieving themselves.

I have followed one such person out of the loos who went straight into a food outlet and started rummaging through the selection of prepacked sandwiches !

The same at Warley last November, where I noticed a few people not washing their hands afterwards.

p.s. Not that I hang out in the toilets watching, or anything like that......honest guv !

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Cheerful. I live remotely, seldom see anybody except my cleaner, unless I go shopping. On 26th March I travel via Paris and London to Torbay, where lurks one of the biggest UK clusters of Covid-19 outside London. In mid-April we are due to travel to Newcastle to join a cruise, visiting Belgium, Germany, Denmark, Sweden and Norway. 

I wonder how much of that itinerary, from my leaving here, will happen?  

• Friendly/supportive 13

1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

So you wash your hands for twenty seconds. What do you then dry them on?

Single use paper towels best, disposed of in bin, hot air dryers less good because they blow droplets of water into the air, roller towels worst, they have to be pulled down each time meaning contact with used towel edge by you or next  edge by previous person. The whole process of dealing with roller towels isn't that hygienic anyway.

That's depending on what is available in public toilets anyway.

(I used to work in the nhs so a high level of hygiene was crucial to protect both yourself and patients).

Edited by railroadbill

1 hour ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

The same at places like motorway services, when visiting the gents, most people wash their hands, but there's a sizeable minority who just walk straight out after relieving themselves.

I have followed one such person out of the loos who went straight into a food outlet and started rummaging through the selection of prepacked sandwiches !

The same at Warley last November, where I noticed a few people not washing their hands afterwards.

p.s. Not that I hang out in the toilets watching, or anything like that......honest guv !

I understand what your saying and FULLY agree....50% of men dont wash after a tinkle!....but admitting you followed some one from the toilets too the food hall....direct to jail...do not collect £200....Ross a double! 

Dont get me started on gentlemen's hygiene at model railway shows...let me say pound land sell washing powder, deodorant and shower jell at......£1!!!! The bag of trains they just bought cost hundreds ! 

G

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bradfordbuffer said:

......but admitting you followed some one from the toilets too the food hall....direct to jail...do not collect £200....Ross a double! 

:biggrin_mini2: :laugh:

Poor wording on my part.

As I left the gents, a chap left in front of me having walked straight from the urinal to the exit. 
I noticed this.

I then proceeded to a food outlet to buy some lunch and the same chap went into the same place ahead of me.

So not intentionally following him.

He was near me looking at and sifting through the sandwiches and rolls.

Sometimes I wonder if we’re really moved that far on from emptying our sewage into the street?

42 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

:biggrin_mini2: :laugh:

Poor wording on my part.

As I left the gents, a chap left in front of me having walked straight from the urinal to the exit. 
I noticed this.

I then proceeded to a food outlet to buy some lunch and the same chap went into the same place ahead of me.

So not intentionally following him.

He was near me looking at and sifting through the sandwiches and rolls.

Sometimes I wonder if we’re really moved that far on from emptying our sewage into the street?

I believe you just the other 11 of jury to convince...

I agree we are more technical advanced but socially going backwards.....yesterday in sainsbury's car park poor old gent struggling to retrieve his 1 pound coin from trolley.....lots of peaple just passed him by....I offered assistance got coin... in a flash had 10 second chat he left with a smile and a wave job done.....

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, bradfordbuffer said:

....yesterday in sainsbury's car park poor old gent struggling to retrieve his 1 pound coin from trolley.....lots of peaple just passed him by....I offered assistance got coin... in a flash had 10 second chat he left with a smile and a wave job done.....

Off topic but permissable I hope - as a relative new dog walker its become clear there are lots of lonely old people who value a short chat and a greeting from my hound.

It may be you one day....

sS27crop.jpg

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

11 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Off topic but permissableI hope - as a relative new dog walker its become clear there are lots of lonely old people who value a short chat and a greeting from my hound.

It may be you one day....

I agree....I've been DOGGING for 11 years with my pooch...sat on Leeds liverpool canal path as i type!....

Railway enthusiasts dogging! New topic in MMM!

15837535860477470783115989372920.jpg

• Like 11