RMweb

Back to the Colne Valley viaduct.

The launching girder, "Dominique", has now been positioned across Moorhall Rd. and is ready to start assembling the next span, the first beyond this road crossing.

Note: in the early stages of this video, you can see pre-cast viaduct sections that have been brought forward and lined up, waiting to be installed.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

13 hours ago, melmerby said:

Some precision engineering going on.

From now on the viaduct is on a gentle curve, so presumably the span sections must be made to allow for it?

Every single segment is individually cast, to fit its position in the arch and to account for the curvature of the viaduct.

Apart from the first XX hundred metres, the viaduct has been on a gradual curve all the way  up to this point already.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, melmerby said:

Some precision engineering going on.

From now on the viaduct is on a gentle curve, so presumably the span sections must be made to allow for it?

As far as I know each segment is cast using the face  of the previous one as one side of the shuttering so changes such as curvature and the depth of the arch part can be taken into account.  Thus each segment us unique and must be delivered to Dominique the right way round and in the corect order,  Thus the line of segments waiting to be fitted will be for alternate sides of the next pier. 

Jamie

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Ive seen some eco bridges on motorways in poland…

basically its a 100m ish tunnel covering the motorway, covered artifically in natural foilage, grass, bushes etc to allow wild animals to cross without fear between sides of a forest or fields.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Every single segment is individually cast, to fit its position in the arch and to account for the curvature of the viaduct.

Apart from the first XX hundred metres, the viaduct been on a curve all the way  up to this point already.

I had to study metrology for a year as part of my college course and had it drummed into me that "precision" referred to repeatability, not "accuracy".  I have to argue, therefore, that segments which are uniquely contoured may form excellent examples of engineering practice but not of precision engineering.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

There was an earlier question about the haul Road that has been built by the contractors alongside the trace of the new railway.  Here are a few photos of a 1911 version and different machinery achieving the same objective on the Midland Railway's Line from Mirfield to Huddersfield.

The main Haul Road heading towards Huddersfied.

canker-lane-2-web.jpg.ff467c74d346dd0f8e3d56c3b02950a8.jpg

A steam navvy excavating a cutting with the haul road alongside.

honoria-st-cutting-2-web.jpg.7b6e1e85afd503b6ff849602f575efa3.jpg

And it continued alongside a viaduct for delivery of bricks.

bradley-viaducts-2-web.jpg.0452168be54631b82012640afd7c352e.jpg

Just for pure interests sake.

Jamie

• Like 18

The A413 going out of Aylesbury towards Stone is to be closed for a weekend shortly this will enable services to be moved so as construction of the road over the new bridge over HS2 can be finished.But if you read comments on our neighbourhood website you would think that the end of the world was happening ,you would think that WW3 was starting.  I had to reply to many comments that this had to happen and that there would be a new road soon also the complaints about extra miles just for two days there is an alternative route which locals should know this route  brings you out very close to the start,There are regular complaints about the project all about having to wait for traffic lights or imagined  problems I reply to them and try to make them realise what is really happening.A recent one really made me annoyed a woman announced that we do not need three routes to Brum. I explained that the WCML,Chiltern plus HS2 all fulfill different areas plus different business  she actually replied that she had not realised this. Traffic around Aylesbury has exploded and nothing is being done about it perhaps drivers should travel by bus more then we wont all the roadworks!  

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

11 hours ago, adb968008 said:

basically its a 100m ish tunnel covering the motorway, covered artifically in natural foilage, grass, bushes etc to allow wild animals to cross without fear between sides of a forest or fields.

There's one over the A86 Autoroute in the northern outer suburbs of Paris that not only has parkland on it but a narrow gauge railway station called appropriately Passage de Verdure. It's in the Parc des Chanteraines and the railway is the 600mm Chemin de Fer des Chanteraines which was built with the park in the early 1970s  (on derelict industrial land) and is now run by enthusiasts.  The railway has a terminus close to Gennevilliers RER station and is about 4.5kms long (about the same length as the Leighton Buzzard NGR)

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
On 13/11/2023 at 13:25, adb968008 said:

There's at least one in the UK; just off the A1(M) on the A505 SE of Baldock.

• Like 2

On 13/11/2023 at 13:26, 2750Papyrus said:

I had to study metrology for a year as part of my college course and had it drummed into me that "precision" referred to repeatability, not "accuracy".  I have to argue, therefore, that segments which are uniquely contoured may form excellent examples of engineering practice but not of precision engineering.

Sorry to be a bore but Precision is how finely you measure something. Eg to nearest cm or nearest mm

Repeatability is to do with Accuracy. You can have systematic errors of a reading which are repeatable but always out by the exact same amount for example not zeroing your digital vernier calipers gives you repeatable inaccurate readings and then inaccuracy due to random errors which by their nature are due to unknowns, for example your vernier calipers may be reading wrong each time due to thermal expansion of the object 

What I don't understand is how the precision engineering as a term is applied here. It seems an exaggeration because although you might think the segments have to be cast and measured to quite fine tolerances of a few mm, then they will also have to allow for a large range of several cm of thermal expansion. In which case the mm precision is going to be pretty irrelevant.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
On 13/11/2023 at 13:04, Mark Saunders said:

If this was HS2 the mountain would have been cancelled!

30A7DDFB-F804-4A77-A107-13A7A155A3B7.jpeg

Looks like an AI image, some odd things going on with that silver car on the left that seems to be part of the gate, and a glitch in the Matrix inside the left hand tunnel or possibly a wormhole opening up?

30A7DDFB-F804-4A77-A107-13A7A155A3B7.jpeg.4912ef2ec0d31448e058c0d51f346908.jpeg.d53ce5ba25a6eedf001c87cd8c771af9.jpeg

More importantly re: HS2 if they'd got Colin Furze to build it rather than the usual suspects it would have been finished by now.

• Like 4

On 15/11/2023 at 12:52, ruggedpeak said:

......More importantly re: HS2 if they'd got Colin Furze to build it rather than the usual suspects it would have been finished by now.

I can see it now.

HS2 trains powered by rockets, complete with flame throwers, swirling knife blades and machine guns........ 🤣🤣🤣  🤪🤪🤪

Pulse-Jet-Go-Kart-.jpg

NINTCHDBPICT000651841395.jpg

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

At the Bromford tunnel.......

TBM "Mary Ann" was launched on 14 August 2023

Distance travelled so far: 872m

Approximate distance remaining: 4,404m

Launch location: Bromford tunnel, South Portal

Destination: Bromford tunnel, North Portal

Last updated 14 November 2023.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

I can see it now.

HS2 trains powered by rockets, complete with flame throwers, swirling knife blades and machine guns........ 🤣🤣🤣  🤪🤪🤪

Yes, how cool would that be. Make the slow train from Old Oak to Brum slightly more interesting!

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, ruggedpeak said:

some odd things going on with that silver car on the left that seems to be part of the gate,

As soon as I saw the image I new it was wrong.

Especially when I noticed that the front and back are not the same vehicle.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

A report on progress with the Wendover Dean viaduct has just been published.  More progress

Meanwhile TBM Lydia seems to have gone AWOL again with no progress reported for the last month.  If it was heading for Parliament it's a bit late for Nov 5th.

Jamie

• Like 6