• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Vecchio said:

I agree that social media is not a must in the car, especially not for the driver (google maps excluded)

I can do quite well without Google Maps in the car, thank you.

I have a touch screen Sat-Nav and haven't used it once since I got the car in 2017.

I've also got voice controlled audio/phone, haven't used that either, even though I went to the trouble of pairing the phone.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, melmerby said:

I can do quite well without Google Maps in the car, thank you.

I have a touch screen Sat-Nav and haven't used it once since I got the car in 2017.

I've also got voice controlled audio/phone, haven't used that either, even though I went to the trouble of pairing the phone.

Google maps is updated frequently at no cost to reflect changes (and I’m not just talking about new roads) to the road network - when was the last time your car manufacturer supplied a free update?

Also google maps can show live traffic information and can warn you of delays ahead plus offer you alternative routes - can your built in car system do that?

Car manufacturers have a history of being slow to update the latest trends into their vehicles - plus deliberately make it hard / expensive to update things like Sat-Nav’s…

Edited by phil-b259
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

We don't like spending money on what we would call frills!

Neither do airlines, which is why they sell it.

but then here the passengers are too tight to pay for it too.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

Google maps is updated frequently at no cost to reflect changes (and I’m not just talking about new roads) to the road network - when was the last time your car manufacturer supplied a free update?

Also google maps can show live traffic information and can warn you of delays ahead plus offer you alternative routes - can your built in car system do that?

Car manufacturers have a history of being slow to update the latest trends into their vehicles - plus deliberately make it hard / expensive to update things like Sat-Nav’s…

We get over the air map updates sent to our cars, every so often.

Most older cars have to have their sat-nav updated at the dealership.

Those cars that have Google Maps embedded in their car operating system are always up-to-date.

A small number of manufacturers are using the Google Android Automotive operating system (not to be confused with the Android auto app).

Volvo, Polestar and Renault (on their EV only Megane e-tech) are an example.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Belgium, Singapore, Hong Kong, Washington all had this nearly 3 decades ago.

Its strange to see why the UK likes to be so backwards and resistant to accept modern technology.

The first known subway system to install onboard Wi-Fi was the Seoul Metro in 2009.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 07/04/2024 at 13:03, jamie92208 said:

..... It also shows the north end of Copthall tunnel some of which appears to have been covered over. 

That section of tunnel has been covered over from very early on, not long after it was completed.

I can't remember when, but it must be at least 6 months ago, if not a lot longer.

They haven't covered any more up yet, so maybe it was done early on as some sort of test or assessment.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

A brief view of a viaduct segment being delivered from the on-site factory at West Hyde (next to the Chilterns tunnel south portal), to the Colne Valley viaduct.

A good view of progress on the chalk grassland landscape being created alongside the new railway, using the spoil from the 10 mile long twin bore, Chiltern tunnels.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

Am I bothered?

39 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

Again.......

39 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

Probably, I haven't tried to update it apart from a sytsem update (map ?) from the Ford site, which I downloaded onto a USB stick and then didn't do.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jollysmart said:

The first known subway system to install onboard Wi-Fi was the Seoul Metro in 2009.

i was using my phone on 3g at a minimum or modem wifi using 802.11g underground later on all the ones listed 24 years+ ago to surf the net… 

the tech worked…ok it was low tech compared to today,  often alt. Pages, mms etc, but it worked underground…

I installed it on some of them so I should know… the HKG metro DC used the former BT phone exchange at Sha Tin station in Kowloon… it still had the the dotted “T” logo embossed into the concrete, bad practice stone floors..

2g worked underground in 1992 for text and phone in Hong Kong’s metro, exited to the same building, some of it bakerlite equipment being ripped out went to the Hong Kong museum. Some of the very first Cisco 6509s were installed here in 2000.. later the backbone of the internet for the next decade worldwide. D

Seoul might be the first wifi, as the iphone generation know it, but wireless data existed for many years before, even if loading a text web page crashed if an incoming call came.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

Chilterns Tunnel South portal, where it all began.

Construction of the aerodynamic tunnel portals are well in advance.

Also, the 3 production plants at the site, tunnel sections, viaduct segments and the slurry treatment plant, are no longer needed and are due to be dismantled next.

(note: the last viaduct segment has already been made).

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I remember 20 years ago the TV screen advertising that was flashing past outside the carriage windows in the tunnels of Hex and thinking the UK had finally come up with something cool in modern media… but it lasted what 6 months ?

Singapore had that too. It didn't last all that long either.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Can anyone explain why a cutting isn't sufficient for this stretch of line?

The Chipping Warden "green tunnel".

At 6 mins in, you get a glimpse of the nearby village, which is a long way from most of the tunnel that's been built so far.

The cutting has already been created.

Why fill it with goodness knows how many hundreds of millions of ££££'s worth of concrete tunnel?

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Can anyone explain why a cutting isn't sufficient for this stretch of line?

The Chipping Warden "green tunnel".

Well, isn't the answer in the name? It's about reinstating the ecology and habitat of the area.

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Well, isn't the answer in the name? It's about reinstating the ecology and habitat of the area.

It's across a disused airfield, part of which is being tunnelled under was used for car parking.

Most of the rest seems to have no special ecological value:

image.png.35da836ea0ac90ec0914217563ce7722.png

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

That'coming along well.  Unlike some of the green tunnels this one actually serves two other purposes.  It serves as a rather long and oblique underbridge under a main road and also seems to serve as the aerodynamic vent entrance to the tunnels.  

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 12/04/2024 at 11:05, jamie92208 said:

That'coming along well.  Unlike some of the green tunnels this one actually serves two other purposes.  It serves as a rather long and oblique underbridge under a main road and also seems to serve as the aerodynamic vent entrance to the tunnels.  

Jamie

The main reason for the cut and cover section at the southern end of the twin bore Long Itichington tunnel, is that the tunnel has to be at a shallow depth along this stretch, as the track has to emerge at the right level to cross the nearby River Itchen.

You can see construction work on a bridge pier, next to the river, at 2mins 55secs into the video (Starting the video below goes straight there).

The bored tunnel would be too close to the surface to be viable, so it was either switching from bored tunnel to an open cutting, or to cut and cover for this section.

The former was not practical or desirable in that location.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Some time ago @Ron Ron Ron I think claimed the first bit of HS2 rail was laid at Steeple Claydon Infrastucture Depot. I think the reality was that it was Network Rail's run-round loop, but here we can see this is now definitely the crossing point from EWR to HS2....

Access.JPG.926d76a7f72a78b47e0f5fedb002ff60.JPG

And I think this is the current state of the rail bridge to access HS2 from the depot going northbound...

IMG_1855.JPG.aff8e38bf72937dbdcc250cce7d13674.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

On 12/04/2024 at 23:03, Davexoc said:

And I think this is the current state of the rail bridge to access HS2 from the depot going northbound...

IMG_1855.JPG.aff8e38bf72937dbdcc250cce7d13674.JPG

It's not a rail bridge to carry the track.

That's the new road bridge which will carry the diverted north-south road (I don't know the name or B route number) over HS2.

The bridge is wide as along with the HS2 mainline, it will also accommodate the tracks leading into and out of the depot to/from the north.

You can see that bridge in this recent video.

It's briefly visible in the opening seconds, but skip to 6min 44secs and then to 7min 57secs, for a closer look.

The road has already been diverted along a temporary route, linking in to the new bridge carrying the road under E-W Rail.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Informative/Useful 3